The Olin Kreutz Situation

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That site is not accurate. Here is what it says about NFL coaches. 30k a year. You could tell it is not accurate because it is not a salaried position but a part time gig ie an hourly rate not a yearly salary.

If you check glassdoor, it is 15-20 an hour. I also know 2 people that started out in as NFL interns and their pay was similar to what Olin was offered.
Wel, maybe those numbers aren't right then. It's still incredibly cheap, especially for an NFL team. I still see it as insulting. I guess I'm team Olin. If it's an NFL-wide rate then shame on the NFL. Either way, all he did was call out the offer. It's cheap. Period. It IS the number that was offered. I think that's what people are upset about. It's a shitty offer. Period.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also think a lot of the internships for former players are more like college players who couldn't make it in the NFL. I still struggle with the idea that they'd offer a former NFL FOOTBALL PLAYER $15/hr. A guy who was making $800k at a minimum? Seems incredibly low. Not to mention this was a former player on your team. A starter. WTH. IDK. I guess I'm pissed about a number of things here LOL.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
That site is not accurate. Here is what it says about NFL coaches. 30k a year. You could tell it is not accurate because it is not a salaried position but a part time gig ie an hourly rate not a yearly salary.

If you check glassdoor, it is 15-20 an hour. I also know 2 people that started out in as NFL interns and their pay was similar to what Olin was offered.
Being even offered the opportunity was worth wayyy more than intern pay. It's a dream job for hundreds of thousands of people.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wel, maybe those numbers aren't right then. It's still incredibly cheap, especially for an NFL team. I still see it as insulting. I guess I'm team Olin. If it's an NFL-wide rate then shame on the NFL. Either way, all he did was call out the offer. It's cheap. Period. It IS the number that was offered. I think that's what people are upset about. It's a shitty offer. Period.

I think what rubs me the wrong way was HH was trying to do him a solid and he made it into the Bears being cheap.

There are hundreds and hundreds of former players looking to break into coaching. The purpose of the internship is to break those guys in and see which ones have real coaching potential.

The NFLPA sponsors an internship program for former players to coach college.

And there is also a program run by the NFL.

HH didnt need Olin. He was simply trying to help him break into the coaching ranks. He refused and Raiola accepted and now Raiola is a full time coach at Nebraska. It is not about the money. It is about gaining real NFL coaching experience.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think what rubs me the wrong way was HH was trying to do him a solid and he made it into the Bears being cheap.

There are hundreds and hundreds of former players looking to break into coaching. The purpose of the internship is to break those guys in and see which ones have real coaching potential.

The NFLPA sponsors an internship program for former players to coach college.

And there is also a program run by the NFL.

HH didnt need Olin. He was simply trying to help him break into the coaching ranks. He refused and Raiola accepted and now Raiola is a full time coach at Nebraska. It is not about the money. It is about gaining real NFL coaching experience.
Cool. And maybe that's true. I hear what you're saying. I have a hard time with any NFL team, like the Bears, making 357 million dollars last year and paying $15 an hour for ANYTHING. Period. I'm mad at fast-food restaurants that do it, and at the way that adjunct professors are treated at universities. Those sound like great programs and opportunities. The pay is horrible. Period.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cool. And maybe that's true. I hear what you're saying. I have a hard time with any NFL team, like the Bears, making 357 million dollars last year and paying $15 an hour for ANYTHING. Period. I'm mad at fast-food restaurants that do it, and at the way that adjunct professors are treated at universities. Those sound like great programs and opportunities. The pay is horrible. Period.

For a full time job, sure. For a part time job designed to get people relevant experience, I disagree.

But to each his/her own.

gocbears

Liked Posts:
After 9 pages of angst, CCS has probably devoted more time and vitriol to this topic, while Olin & George have probably moved on...

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For a full time job, sure. For a part time job designed to get people relevant experience, I disagree.

But to each his/her own.
I mean, I guess. Didn't realize that PT work was also supposed to be crappy pay. I get the idea of experience, and that leading to something, but...still. If you clear 357 million a year, why not pay better than that? I ran a magazine for a few years. The industry standard was to pay 5 cents a word for fiction. I paid 10. We were inundated with submissions, had to set the limit to 300 per month, and that filled up some months in MINUTES or HOURS. We can do better.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
I feel like Olin Kreutz interprets everything as a shot to his manhood and as “disrespect”

I could say “Olin has such a sick pair of Jordans, I wish I had those”

he would say “tell that weak ass bitch to say it to my face”

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mean, I guess. Didn't realize that PT work was also supposed to be crappy pay. I get the idea of experience, and that leading to something, but...still. If you clear 357 million a year, why not pay better than that? I ran a magazine for a few years. The industry standard was to pay 5 cents a word for fiction. I paid 10. We were inundated with submissions, had to set the limit to 300 per month, and that filled up some months in MINUTES or HOURS. We can do better.

Why not pay better? Because it isnt intended to be a full time job. You are basically talking 8-12 weeks over the summer and if you impress then you get a permanent gig. It is a weeding out mechanism. Teams dont want to waste time on the Olin Kreutzs of the world when they have so few slots.

If they paid more then Kreutz would have gotten the job, sucked at it or decided coaching wasnt for him and left. In doing so he would have robbed a guy like Raiola from the opportunity when it is actually a passion for Raiola.

I got paid shit as an intern. But I impressed and so got a full time offer. That is how it works in my industry.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why not pay better? Because it isnt intended to be a full time job. You are basically talking 8-12 weeks over the summer and if you impress then you get a permanent gig. It is a weeding out mechanism. Teams dont want to waste time on the Olin Kreutzs of the world when they have so few slots.

If they paid more then Kreutz would have gotten the job, sucked at it or decided coaching wasnt for him and left. In doing so he would have robbed a guy like Raiola from the opportunity when it is actually a passion for Raiola.

I got paid shit as an intern. But I impressed and so got a full time offer. That is how it works in my industry.
Why not pay a decent wage and then just evaluate?

mecha

Liked Posts:
listen. fuck the $15/hour job thing. nothing Kreutz is saying is wrong here. George McCaskey is supposed to be the chairman of the team and he has no idea what's going on. if you can't identify what's wrong, you can't fix it. with the proverbial four horsemen doing the hiring again, it's literally going to be the same shit in 4 years. how none of you can see the recurring pattern with this dogfucking organization blows my mind.

back to the $15/hour job thing. if that's what's the standard pay across the league, then Kreutz was either at least in the wrong or at best wasn't serious about coaching. it still doesn't excuse the fact of calling him out in the press conference when the lead dickhead doesn't even really know him. more people should be opinionated and call things out like Kreutz. the world would be a lot more honest. and if you all want to pile on and hate me for agreeing with him then I don't really care.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Has Olin at any point been asked publicly about if he knew that that was the going rate for that job? Id like to hear his answer.

George handled this very poorly at the presser and while that may be the going rate, i feel like you could do better than the bare minimum for one of your greats... but Olin is making himself look like an entitled asshole. His interview Monday on P&S was embarrassing, he sounded like he was going to cry of anger at one point. This is the guy that talked about punching Aaron Rodgers in the face for the "i own you" thing. He's insecure, immature, entitled and at this point annoying. Get over it.

Oh and Sam Mustipher is fucking trash. If that's how Olin Kreutz coaching looks like, id get a restraining order against him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why not pay a decent wage and then just evaluate?

Because they dont have too. It is a coveted job. You are talking a $15 an hour job that can turn into tens of millions. If Kreutz doesnt want to put in the work then someome else will. It is as simple as that.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
McCaskey to me seems like he’s unable or unwilling to accept criticism. Obviously ex-players aren’t upper management or executives, but they KNOW football. They’ve spent their whole lives actually doing it knowing it inside and out. They just use their eyes and experience.

If George wants to improve he should have a round table with ex-players. Just LISTEN. Gaining perspective from people who are experienced with no financial gain to be had are going to speak truths. He can do what he likes with what they say, but listening to men who aren’t YES men will perhaps give him the perspective he needs.