The Olin Kreutz Situation

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wait he is being torn apart by the people that Olin used to work with at 670? That is like McCaskey saying the board made up of his family approves of the job he is doing.

Olin did not lie. Olin did not tell the whole story. 2 things can be true.
Agree with that - Olin got back exactly what he gave out -

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do anything you can to bring guys like Olin around the team imo. $15/hr is an insult. I'd be insulted by that and I'm just some dude on the internet.

Well that is why neither you or Olin are likely to be head coaches as it is standard for a firdt time coach.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Did he say he answered or just tried to call him to confirm

hilarious ?
He said Pace confirmed his story (at least it sounded like it between the sobs and wails)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And you believe that calling him a liar was the most professional way to say it?

I thought that saying that 15 dollars is the standard pay for first time coaches would have been much more professional and enlightening.

Perhaps Olin should have mentioned that himself and the reaction would be different. You want McCaskey to be diplomatic when Olin chose not to?

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Well that is why neither you or Olin are likely to be head coaches as it is standard for a firdt time coach.

How do they justify this, does the player' s union not have a say in this? $15 is a pittance

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I don't understand siding with McCaskey on this. Offering Kreutz $15 per hour is a fucking joke. Don't compare the situation to some standard intern contract. He's one of the premier players at his position during his tenure and is a borderline hall of famer. It's a really bad look for the Bears any way you spin it.

Last edited:

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
Imagine if you were retired for like ten years and you heard through a co worker that your old boss said you weren't very trustworthy over something completely pointless to discuss in the first place and your reaction was to call a guy who just got canned the same day to verify your pointless story and then go throw a fit on the radio about it lmao

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How do they justify this, does the player' s union not have a say in this? $15 is a pittance

They justify it because NFL jobs are in high demand. You cut your teeth, prove yourself and then you get paid.

Riaola accepted the job Olin turned down and now he is making 325k at Nebraska.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Do anything you can to bring guys like Olin around the team imo. $15/hr is an insult. I'd be insulted by that and I'm just some dude on the internet.

Robert Mathis spent 14 years playing for the National Football League (NFL)’s Indianapolis Colts. He is a six-time Pro Bowler and a Super Bowl winner. After retiring, he joined the Colts again, first as a volunteer assistant coach in the 2017 offseason, then to full-time when the season began.

Waiting for Mathis to go on Indy radio to claim Jim Irsay made him basically a slave after laying it out there for the team for 14 yrs.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And you believe that calling him a liar was the most professional way to say it?

I thought that saying that 15 dollars is the standard pay for first time coaches would have been much more professional and enlightening.

There might be more to it than just what we are assuming. Olin called out the Bears first - why can't the Bears defend themselves, besides player worship?

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
They justify it because NFL jobs are in high demand. You cut your teeth, prove yourself and then you get paid.

Riaola accepted the job Olin turned down and now he is making 325k at Nebraska.

I mean I work in an exclusive field too but even people with no experience get offered more than minimum wage. Olin doesn't need the money but someone who isn't an ex-player who's trying to be an assistant coach really does.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't understand siding with McCaskey on this. Offering Kreutz $15 per hour is a fucking joke. Don't compare the situation to some standard intern contract. He's one of the premiere players at his position during his tenure and is a borderline hall of famer. It's a really bad look for the Bears any way you spin it.

Do you think he is the only former player that wanted to get into coaching?

Leftwich started out as a coaching intern. He is now in line to be a HC. The problem with Olin is his ego.

I mean I work in an exclusive field too but even people with no experience get offered more than minimum wage. Olin doesn't need the money but someone who isn't an ex-player who's trying to be an assistant coach really does.

See above. It is standard. There are hundreds of ex players that think they want to be a coach. You pay them shit to start out to weed out the guys who arent in it for the right reasons.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Internships are usually free, it’s for experience. Don’t really think this is an issue.

Olin basically thought he could take a shot and not get flack - well, the Bears called him out essentially.

So now he's gonna be ass hurt?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
But Olin made Mustipher what he is today, how could that not be worth at least $16.25/hr?
Same as what Mustipher is worth.

Liked Posts:
That's not the overlying problem though. The biggest take away from today's presser is the chairman took a shot at a reporter and basically called a former player a lier when he himself wasn't even privy to any dealings with Olin about being brought in for camp. All he had to say was he wasn't aware and left it at that. It's a terrible look and a PR nightmare for someone who isn't in good standing with the fans base as it is.
Apparently the diversity and inclusion officer wasn’t available…call a Social Worker STAT

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Perhaps Olin should have mentioned that himself and the reaction would be different. You want McCaskey to be diplomatic when Olin chose not to?
yes I want the McCaskeys to be more diplomatic, I dont care about Olin.. he is not a part of the team that I follow. If it turns out that Olin is being an idiot then who cares? But wouldn't it be great if the front office of the Team that we all follow didn't constantly look like a bunch of incompetent fools?

"olin didnt tell the whole story.. here is the whole story" problem solved.. but instead George comes across as an idiot.. Its just an embarrassment that any halfwit could of easily avoided.. but we have king George the bizarre running the show..

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
There might be more to it than just what we are assuming. Olin called out the Bears first - why can't the Bears defend themselves, besides player worship?
That is all possible, but you talked about George taking time to give a professional response and defending yourself in front of the press was not professional.

It doesn't even matter if Olin was 100% wrong.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Like, maybe the Bears did ask him for advice, and he offered his services for free and they said, “Hey, that’s awesome. But for the books, it can’t be free—It has to be at least $15 an hour,” or some weird dumb bullshit like that.

lol

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This can be all true.

But you are missing the point.

Olin is one person.

George is not just one person, he represents an organization. What he says in front of the press needs to be more professional than him talking on some podcast.

George might have been right, but the way he responded was wrong.