The Olin Kreutz Situation

Canth

Liked Posts:
This definitely strikes me as a perfect situation for someone to send Olin a hurt feelings report that he can submit to the Bears....

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's a terrible look and a PR nightmare for someone who isn't in good standing with the fans base as it is.
I have to say, he's in good standing with me. I think George is cool af. Kind of weird and kind of eccentric, fits the family mom & pop thing with the Bears. An aristocratic old money feel with a slight Norman Bates vibe with the whole "mother is not amused" thing. I dig it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
George has people he could have deferred the question to.

We both know that.

Why argue differently?

There was no upside to his answering the way he did. All he did was help Kreutz by answering.
Enlighten me how throwing it to Teddy or another would have made George and the Bear look better. It was either answer the question himself or not answer it at all. Anything else is weaker than that and not answering at all is the weaker option of the 1st 2.

Of course there was a better answer but there always is. BFD!

Could of called it a misunderstanding and said that Olin is displaying the same fire that should get him into the hall and left it at that.

George's biggest weakness and maybe also asset is that he takes this stuff personally.

Last edited:

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Enlighten me how throwing it to Teddy or another would have made George and the Bear look better. It was either answer the question himself or not answer it at all. Anything else is weaker than that and not answering at all is the weaker option of the 1st 2.

Could of called it a misunderstanding and said that Olin is displaying the same fire that should get him into the hall and left it at that.

George's biggest weakness and maybe also asset is that he takes this stuff personally.

He could have easily deferred to someone in public affairs. Or he could have just said "no comment" instead of pouring gasoline on the fire. Either would have been preferable, and this thread would have not have existed.

Consider yourself enlightened.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He could have easily deferred to someone in public affairs. Or he could have just said "no comment" instead of pouring gasoline on the fire. Either would have been preferable, and this thread would have not have existed.

Consider yourself enlightened.
George is asked and says. "Ask public affairs."
:jonesy:

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

George could of just said that he has nothing to do with hiring a part time intern coach. Nagy is responsible for hiring of his coaching staff. He could of also said that the going rate for that position is $15 an hour across the board from team to team.

That answer solves everything, yes Olin probably should of been offered more.. but that would fall on the guy who just got fired..

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know what the fuck you're laughing about. Minimum wage hasn't gone up much, as rent has doubled.

"Until 1968, the minimum wage not only kept pace with inflation, it rose in step with productivity growth. The logic is straightforward; we expect that wages in general will rise in step with productivity growth. For workers at the bottom to share in the overall improvement in society’s living standards, the minimum wage should also rise with productivity. "

Most of these cities require $50k before taxes. $24 x 40 x 52 = $49,920

Yes, if you live in a small town, with lower rent/mortgage you can get by. But the poverty line for a family of four is $26,000 or so. That's $12.50 an hour.

The point I was trying to make is that the offer and rate was insulting. The rest I'll save for the politics/off-topic forums.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Has Olin offered up what job he'd be doing for $15/hr?

I mean they could be talking about concessions and Olin thinks he should be paid different because he's better at handing out Old Fashioned Donuts?

It was a part time job and Kreutz was only going to work during the time the players were present.

It was not a full time coaching gig and was basically just HH trying to do Kreutz a solid by getting his feet wet.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was a part time job and Kreutz was only going to work during the time the players were present.

It was not a full time coaching gig and was basically just HH trying to do Kreutz a solid by getting his feet wet.
It was a shitty offer. Period. My kids are making $12/hour at the pool, and they're 17. Come on, man.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
George could of just said that he has nothing to do with hiring a part time intern coach. Nagy is responsible for hiring of his coaching staff. He could of also said that the going rate for that position is $15 an hour across the board from team to team.

That answer solves everything, yes Olin probably should of been offered more.. but that would fall on the guy who just got fired..

Nagy probably has very little to do with it. Each position coach has a mini budget to bring it guys they want to groom to be future coaches. Nagy doesnt care who HH chooses to being it until such time that said person proves themselves and hence gets a full time offer.

This was all HH trying to help Kreutx break into coaching.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was a shitty offer. Period. My kids are making $12/hour at the pool, and they're 17. Come on, man.

Then that is an NFL problem not a Bears problem as interns and part timers like this get paid a pittance.

The job Olin turned down went to Raiola and 3 years later he is making 325k. Are your kids able to go from 12 an hour to 325k in 3 years or less?

The point of the job isnt the pay. It is to break someone into the coaching ranks and see if they have what it takes to put in the work. Raiola did and Olin did not.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then that is an NFL problem not a Bears problem as interns and part timers like this get paid a pittance.

The job Olin turned down went to Raiola and 3 years later he is making 325k. Are your kids able to go from 12 an hour to 325k in 3 years or less?

The point of the job isnt the pay. It is to break someone into the coaching ranks and see if they have what it takes to put in the work. Raiola did and Olin did not.
True, but it's still an insulting offer. I worked in advertising for 25 years. I wouldn't take less than $20/hr and more likely $30/hr. It's also an ex-player. It's a lowball offer period, IMO. This isn't some kid out of school. Even then it's low.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
True, but it's still an insulting offer. I worked in advertising for 25 years. I wouldn't take less than $20/hr and more likely $30/hr. It's also an ex-player. It's a lowball offer period, IMO. This isn't some kid out of school. Even then it's low.

Raiola took it and he is a former player. Leftwich took it and he is a former player. A lot of the former players start out as interns and then move up the ranks quickly if they prove they willing to put in the work.

So I dont think it is insulting if that is what first time coaches who were former players typically get. Being a player and being a coach are 2 different things and there are hundreds of former players trying to break into the ranks.

It is clear Olin was not serious about coaching as he has never had a coaching gig with an NFL team. If the Bears insulted him with the offer that Raiola accepted then how come he didnt find a job with another team?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Raiola took it and he is a former player. Leftwich took it and he is a former player. A lot of the former players start out as interns and then move up the ranks quickly if they prove they willing to put in the work.

So I dont think it is insulting if that is what first time coaches who were former players typically get. Being a player and being a coach are 2 different things and there are hundreds of former players trying to break into the ranks.

It is clear Olin was not serious about coaching as he has never had a coaching gig with an NFL team. If the Bears insulted him with the offer that Raiola accepted then how come he didnt find a job with another team?
IDK

How much do NFL interns make?

"NFL Interns earn $71,000 annually, or $34 per hour, which is 81% higher than the national average for all Interns at $30,000 annually and 7% higher than the national salary average for all working Americans."

Seems to be some contradiction here. An "internship" at $71k, sure, I'd take that, good offer. I don't think offering ANY former player ANY job at $15 is a smart move. Seems very cheap to me. Maybe Olin wasn't serious about coaching. When minimum wage, a living wage, should be closer to $24/hr I find $15 to be a horrible offer, for anyone, on any team, whether you're coaching or sweeping the stadium or answering phones.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nobody should be getting paid $15/hour. Not on a team like that, not to flip fucking burgers at McDonalds. JFC. The Bears can be CHEAP. They can be COLD. Minimum wage, as a living wage, should be like $24/hour. $15 an hour is $31,200 a year. For a team that made 360 million dollars last year that is fucking cheap. $24 is about $50,000 a year. Which is decent. You don't treat an ex-player like that. Sorry, I think it's insulting. I don't think Olin is looking for attention, I think he's just saying this is the offer, take it as you will. I THINK it's cheap.
I agree with your overall concept of how much people should get paid, but in terms of this particular situation it's not relevant. It appears to me that what the Bears offered Kreutz is an industry standard in the NFL for the position. If that is true:

1. It's not fair to hold the Bears to a different standard.
2. Kreutz definitely put a nasty spin on the situation by using the lie of omission to take a shot at the Bears, and no matter how ham-handedly George answered the question, Kreutz is being quite the ass about it, and calling Pace on the day he was fired to cap it off is really selfish and loaded with hubris. Frankly, I don't want Kreutz any closer to the Bears than doing radio; lousy character.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
IDK

"NFL Interns earn $71,000 annually, or $34 per hour, which is 81% higher than the national average for all Interns at $30,000 annually and 7% higher than the national salary average for all working Americans."

Seems to be some contradiction here. An "internship" at $71k, sure, I'd take that, good offer. I don't think offering ANY former player ANY job at $15 is a smart move. Seems very cheap to me. Maybe Olin wasn't serious about coaching. When minimum wage, a living wage, should be closer to $24/hr I find $15 to be a horrible offer, for anyone, on any team, whether you're coaching or sweeping the stadium or answering phones.

NFL Coach Salary

Browse NFL Salaries by Job Title →
NFL Coaches earn $30,000 annually, or $14 per hour,

e highest paid Coaches work for Sears at $72,000 annually

This doesn't seem like a very good source.

That is around 1/4 of vet min. Yeah this is meaningless.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
IDK

That site is not accurate. Here is what it says about NFL coaches. 30k a year. You could tell it is not accurate because it is not a salaried position but a part time gig ie an hourly rate not a yearly salary.

If you check glassdoor, it is 15-20 an hour. I also know 2 people that started out in as NFL interns and their pay was similar to what Olin was offered.