The pitch clock for 2023..

What your thoughts on the pitch clock? Like or not?

• Like it.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Don't care for it.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Castor76

Liked Posts:
So because something else is dumb and goes on, you allow other dumb things to go on??

That doesn’t make much sense, mate

I never said it made sense. Officials will sometimes let things go late in games that they don't early. NFL teams continue to pay the next FA to be QB way too much money because every other team before them does it. Such is the way things are done until they aren't. I've already said let a few games that matter end like this and it'll stop. How about instead of whining about it, mate, you think of a solution that addresses the problem they are trying to address?

Or how in the NFL regular season games can end in ties but not in the playoffs. Funny how they change the rule like that and people don't seem to care.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I never said it made sense. Officials will sometimes let things go late in games that they don't early. NFL teams continue to pay the next FA to be QB way too much money because every other team before them does it. Such is the way things are done until they aren't. I've already said let a few games that matter end like this and it'll stop. How about instead of whining about it, mate, you think of a solution that addresses the problem they are trying to address?
Ahhh yes, the old, “I disagree with you so I’ll claim you’re whining about it” post. Classic CCS tactic

Me stating a rule to be dumb, and you agreeing with me that it’s dumb is somehow whining??

Geez mate, you might need to calm your tuchus down with a fosters or a blunt

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Ahhh yes, the old, “I disagree with you so I’ll claim you’re whining about it” post. Classic CCS tactic

Me stating a rule to be dumb, and you agreeing with me that it’s dumb is somehow whining??

Geez mate, you might need to calm your tuchus down with a fosters or a blunt

Well, mate, since I don't rely on shit like that to relax and I'm not even inclined to be excited about it, calming down isn't necessary. Yes, while personal definitions like opinions can vary, I'd say you are whining about it because you continue to voice a disapproval with anyone who even make a modicum of approval with the new rule.

My precise statement was the rule could be worrisome. That neither indicates it being smart or dumb. And you also use the classic tactic of not actually presenting a solution, just voicing displeasure repeated, which some of us define as whining. So stop being a schmuck.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I really don't have an opinion about it.

It will suck for some pitchers as they have to alter their routine.

Catchers are starting to use a wrist pitch signal that gives the pitch. So tech should also help with game flow.

Do I care? Not really. There will be feed back from pitchers coaches and managers in season and it will be a work in progress.

On the shift. This is a bit of a trigger subject here.

It has made the game suck. It is not softball where you have 4 outfielders. So it is a bunch of stat guys getting together and looking over charts and putting the pieces at the most likely spot that the ball goes

It was a good idea but it ruined the game. HR or easy out was the normal result. Gap hitting was nixed with 2B playing the gap. I believe that Heyward's sharp decline was a direct result of the shift. He came over as a gap hitter. And sucked during the shift era. So that investment went to shit. Dont be shocked when he rebounds again.

It made the game unwatchable. HR's are boring. Lining a double into the gap and seeing if he will go for 3B is good baseball. Hitters shooting the gap has been a missing part of the game. It should make a rebound.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Outlawing the shift is one of the dumbest things ever done in sports. No hyperbole. Top 3 dumbest idea in all of sports.

Imagine the NFL outlawing zone defense, or the NBA outlawing pressing.
Or the NBA outlawing zone defense. Oh, wait......

And when have you ever seen an NBA team press?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't care so much about the overall length of the game as the dead time. There's so much nothing. Maybe they'll do away with some of that.

To me the three outcomes is what has made the game boring. If there were still teams getting guys on base and moving them along like in the 80's, the game time wouldn't be such an issue. But when guys refuse to swing or there are 12 relief pitcher changes, then it gets excruciating.

Then again, the larger bases, no shift and reduced throws to first may increase offense. While stolen bases have seemingly gone away since every batter is swinging for the fences, these might bring that back.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Well, mate, since I don't rely on shit like that to relax and I'm not even inclined to be excited about it, calming down isn't necessary. Yes, while personal definitions like opinions can vary, I'd say you are whining about it because you continue to voice a disapproval with anyone who even make a modicum of approval with the new rule.

My precise statement was the rule could be worrisome. That neither indicates it being smart or dumb. And you also use the classic tactic of not actually presenting a solution, just voicing displeasure repeated, which some of us define as whining. So stop being a schmuck.
Well mate, you should go check out the soy boy thread in the bar. You seem to belong there

Again, all you’re doing is whining that I don’t like a new rule. Not liking something isn’t whining, however complaining about someone not liking something…that’s where whining begins.

So be gone from me you soy boy beta cuck, the transaction is complete!

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Zone defense isn’t illegal in the nba. It’s just not used because it doesn’t work against todays shooters

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

You've been able to play zone defense in the NBA for awhile now. As for pressing, just because it's not the best strategy doesn't mean it can't be done.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Here's an example of a team using a zone defense. In the NBA Finals no less:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Syracuse isn't the only team to run the 2-3 zone:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Zone defense isn’t illegal in the nba. It’s just not used because it doesn’t work against todays shooters
But they didn't allow it until Jordan was gone and they took the opportunity to change the game in a few ways. Like you couldn't stop Jordan without a two hand check. Well ..you couldn't slow him down without it I should say.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It was illegal for many years to play zone in the NBA.

The point is that they did, in fact, implement a rule in the NBA very similar to the no shift rule that was referenced. The league did mandate how you could or could not play defense.

That being said, I’m not saying I love the no shift rule. It does seem silly to tell a defender you cannot play where you think a batter is going to hit the ball.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

The point is that they did, in fact, implement a rule in the NBA very similar to the no shift rule that was referenced. The league did mandate how you could or could not play defense.

That being said, I’m not saying I love the no shift rule. It does seem silly to tell a defender you cannot play where you think a batter is going to hit the ball.
Yes, and then the NBA realized it was dumb and some defense has been allowed for quite some time now

But yes, 100% agree it’s dumb to dictate where and where not a player can play defensively. That’s called strategy

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'd like to see it in live action before making my final decision on it. Of the few minutes I did watch of it, it gave me anxiety lol. If they have it, I don't want to see the big ass clock right behind the plate ticking down. I found that annoying af.

Also, how does this impact pitchers? I imagine working faster is going to cause fatigue to set in quicker?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Right, and in 2002 they changed the rule because there was an even balance between FGs made in the paint versus on the perimeter.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The shift in baseball made it unfair for lefties. And lefties can't just adjust and hit the other way, because MLB pitchers pitch inside to play into the shift.
I still play competitive baseball, and to those that say that MLB players should be able to hit the other way, well it aint that easy. Just making contact is hard, being able to go the other way when the pitch is on the inside corner is near impossible.

The shift ban also brings more athleticism back to the game as second basemen have to be better fielders now and need to run a lot more.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The shit in baseball made it unfair for lefties. And lefties can't just adjust and hit the other way, because MLB pitchers pitch inside to play into the shift.
I still play competitive baseball, and to those that say that MLB players should be able to hit the other way, well it aint that easy. Just making contact is hard, being able to go the other way when the pitch is on the inside corner is near impossible.

The shift ban also brings more athleticism back to the game as second basemen have to be better fielders now and need to run a lot more.
Those poor lefties!!! Having to deal with pitchers pitching inside!!

No right handed hitters ever have to deal with an inside pitch, amirite?!?

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
It def. has its flaws but they are doing it cause this generation doesnt have the attention span. So, you cater to your audience. Baseball purist are dying out
I ain't dead yet!