The polarizing Nick Madrigal

holyfriggincow

Liked Posts:
If him and hoerner can hit 1-2 and get on at a .350 clip that would be a big step forward for our lineup. I don't really care if they slug
Yes and no....yes IF we can get slugging out of traditional positions: 1B, the corner outfield positions, 3B and Catcher. That's FIVE positions that should hit from 3-7ish in your order that need to slug accordingly. That didn't happen the last 5 years. Sure, Bryant and Izzo held up their end as did Contreras, but the corner outfield positions were in constant flux. Can't continue to happen obviously. Plus, Brennan Davis should come up in the next year or so and he can sure as hell slug and plays CF I believe.

iseah100

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes and no....yes IF we can get slugging out of traditional positions: 1B, the corner outfield positions, 3B and Catcher. That's FIVE positions that should hit from 3-7ish in your order that need to slug accordingly. That didn't happen the last 5 years. Sure, Bryant and Izzo held up their end as did Contreras, but the corner outfield positions were in constant flux. Can't continue to happen obviously. Plus, Brennan Davis should come up in the next year or so and he can sure as hell slug and plays CF I believe.
This. If Nico and Madrigal can both hit above .300 at the top of the lineup that is a great spark for traditional power bats. We had one guy that did that consistently and effectively, Fowler, and we haven’t been able to replace him. I’m excited to see Madrigal and Horener together. If Davis can be what he’s expected that is a solid core.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Law has him as a 8-9 hitter....Cubs fans have him as ,300+ leadoff hitter

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't claim to have ANY intimate knowledge of Madrigal, but Stoney is smarmy and probably wrong as he is so often. Time will tell, but I think Nick can be a solid 2nd baseman the next few years until one of the kids with a bigger upside can come up and do his thing. We don't need Ryno part two fer crissakes....just a solid, serviceable guy we can stick there for the next few years while we build this thing back up.
I feel the same. I am not touting Nick Madrigal one bit, but Stone is so Anti-Cubs he’d downplay it if the Sox had sent them Babe Ruth.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Madrigal will be a .300 plus hitter. If he doesn't develop any plate discipline or power he will be a 8-9 hitter.

The top of our lineup will be Crow-Armstrong leading off, second will maybe be Hoerner.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Madrigal and Hoerner are similar and perfect 1980's style #2 hitters

In 2021.....maybe one hits first or second and the other 8th or 9th

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Madrigal and Hoerner are similar and perfect 1980's style #2 hitters

In 2021.....maybe one hits first or second and the other 8th or 9th

What they have:

LF Happ
CF Ortega
RF Deichmann
3B Bote
SS Hoerner
2B Madrigal
1B Wisdom
C Contreras

Now if the DH comes into play it changes things a bit.

I would target Castellanos for DH
LF Schwarber would be entertainment. But with Davis pending you want a rental. Happ maybe fine as a place holder.
RF DFA Heyward. Give Deichmann the keys.
3B Asdrubel Cabrera SH Takes walks not a bad player.
UI Jonathan Villar Plays 3B/SS/2B SH. injury insurance.
1B Wisdom

Line up would be more so about splitting up low contact rate bats.

With a DH

Madrigal 2B
Deichmann RF
Castellanos DH
Wisdom 1B
Contreras C
Cabrera 3B
Hoerner SS
Happ LF
Ortega CF

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If NL goes DH, cubs should target castellanos AND schwarber. Cubs will need a lefty bat

plus, by the time Davis is called up…cubs can sit Heyward Or Ortega…whichever is struggling more

OF of Happ/Ortega Davis and Castellanos with Schwarber as the DH Would be pretty decent

either way, lots of work to be done for Jed over the next year

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't ask me why on Deichmann. I just have a good felling that he will be more than expected. I would just roll with it. Guys with his skill set could end up as the next Yelich. Yelich was a higher AVG hitter then it clicked with the Crew. Happens.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Don't ask me why on Deichmann. I just have a good felling that he will be more than expected. I would just roll with it. Guys with his skill set could end up as the next Yelich. Yelich was a higher AVG hitter then it clicked with the Crew. Happens.
Yelich was also cheating

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yelich was also cheating

Not proven. I wouldnt make much of this year's funk. There are plenty of hitters that are on the downswing post COVID.

The whoke drama between him and Yu never blew over into fines. So MLB did not fine. Nothing to see here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The offensive stats of Yelich has free falled the last 2 seasons since the crackdown for sure ... hmmmmmm

Conspercy theories are the core of the capital insurgency too.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would feel it is more likely the MLB teams have gone to using pitch labs and that is giving a cometitive edge to pitching right now in general. The finger glue and the sweat rosin pitch have also been known issues. 2019 the ball was juiced. 20-21 it was not.

Bellenger also has tanked. Both were league best. Javy tanked. He was a league best.

So saying all were cheating? That is fucking lazy. Baseball is a constantly evolving game. Some fall behind like Bryant but have to evolve or get eaten up.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I would feel it is more likely the MLB teams have gone to using pitch labs and that is giving a cometitive edge to pitching right now in general. The finger glue and the sweat rosin pitch have also been known issues. 2019 the ball was juiced. 20-21 it was not.

Bellenger also has tanked. Both were league best. Javy tanked. He was a league best.

So saying all were cheating? That is fucking lazy. Baseball is a constantly evolving game. Some fall behind like Bryant but have to evolve or get eaten up.
Well I know people were really worked up about Houston cheating, but odds are a good majority of the league was probably stealing signs some way