The polarizing Nick Madrigal

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At the moment Cease and Jimenez are 25 & 24 years old and are on the upswing for the Sox. At 32, Quintana may or may not ever be a decent pitcher again. For the Cubs....you can throw out the W/L record.....what counts are two things. Starts and Quality Starts. He did show up and take the ball for two seasons, I'll give him credit for that. 63 starts with all of 27 being QS. That's roughly 60% of his starts were not what the team needed. That's not a lot of return for two of your best young prospects. And what makes it even worse is that the kids traded will be doing this for years.....the Cubs thought so much of Quintana that they let him walk rather than piss away any more money on him.

No matter how anyone wants to spin it....the trade was a bad one. I've been saying this since the day the trade was made.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
At the moment Cease and Jimenez are 25 & 24 years old and are on the upswing for the Sox. At 32, Quintana may or may not ever be a decent pitcher again. For the Cubs....you can throw out the W/L record.....what counts are two things. Starts and Quality Starts. He did show up and take the ball for two seasons, I'll give him credit for that. 63 starts with all of 27 being QS. That's roughly 60% of his starts were not what the team needed. That's not a lot of return for two of your best young prospects. And what makes it even worse is that the kids traded will be doing this for years.....the Cubs thought so much of Quintana that they let him walk rather than piss away any more money on him.

No matter how anyone wants to spin it....the trade was a bad one. I've been saying this since the day the trade was made.

you’re using hindsight to make that judgment, though

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you’re using hindsight to make that judgment, though
Indeed I am. Both foresight and hindsight. I came out with nays the day the trade was made.....the hindsight is just confirmation.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Indeed I am. Both foresight and hindsight. I came out with nays the day the trade was made.....the hindsight is just confirmation.

I get the frustration on it. But I don’t blame the cubs front office for going all in during that window. You can’t expect every move to pan out. Most of the trades of prospects worked out, i.e. Chapman, wade davis, dexter Fowler, etc…the Q trade didn’t work out like everyone had hoped. At the time the cubs needed a starting pitcher badly. It sucks, but to dwell on it doesn’t make much sense to me. Especially in a thread that has not much to do with it

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I get the frustration on it. But I don’t blame the cubs front office for going all in during that window. You can’t expect every move to pan out. Most of the trades of prospects worked out, i.e. Chapman, wade davis, dexter Fowler, etc…the Q trade didn’t work out like everyone had hoped. At the time the cubs needed a starting pitcher badly. It sucks, but to dwell on it doesn’t make much sense to me. Especially in a thread that has not much to do with it
I agree. It was the new guy acting like no one here remembered that move that started it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We'd only like to not remember it.
Shoot.

Like I said. If it was for a staff ace I would have been on board 100%.

The reality was his first tour he pushed the Cubs from out of it to the play offs. So in that sense it worked out.

Tbe problem was the duration his warts came out and the value degenerated. He was never really a staff ace and time normally shows the true nature of a player. As a rental a team can look at a player with warts and see him peaking and pay on buying that peak and not the whole wart fest after.

So when buying conteol a buyer has to look at the body of work. He had some 4-5 WAR seasons pitching behind Sale. He felt like a under achiever over all. And going into the purchace he was starting a down turn.

So in view of that he was a also ran. Theo paid bread winner.

At the time I was with Diehard. I was on Cease's jock going in. First Cubs TOR prospect. Selling Eloy? Ya Cubs were booked there. Didnt bother me. Cease I was thinking for a 2 on a good yesr?

Hindsight.

Fuck it. It dont matter anyways. Cubs are starting to push out back of the rotation arms and Wicks might end up a solid lefty. Marquez at worst is a closer that powers 100 MPH. So we might end up getting that talent that Theo paid for under team control.

The biggest problem has been this. Paying for what you can not develop. They are addressing it and I am fine with it. All the rest are life lessens on what not to do going forward.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In yet another example of how baseball is very much a mental game, Craig Kimbrel has lost control of his pitches and currently holds a 5.40 ERA with the White Sox.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
In yet another example of how baseball is very much a mental game, Craig Kimbrel has lost control of his pitches and currently holds a 5.40 ERA with the White Sox.

I believe that he is a set routine guy. He has been pushed into a role outside of his comfort zone.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I believe that he is a set routine guy. He has been pushed into a role outside of his comfort zone.
Stubborn ass Tony LaRussa, who is more interested in showing he cant be persuaded to change his mind than he is in winning, continues to use Kimbrel improperly.

I am the least surprised person anywhere. TLR is an ass.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Stubborn ass Tony LaRussa, who is more interested in showing he cant be persuaded to change his mind than he is in winning, continues to use Kimbrel improperly.

I am the least surprised person anywhere. TLR is an ass.
Ya but he wins everywhere he goes.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ya but he wins everywhere he goes.
He had the best team in baseball three years in a row in Oakland and lost two of the three World Series to arguably two of the worst World Series winning teams in history. He was on the verge of being fired in St. Louis when the 83 - 79 cards won a WS. Rick Renteria could be winning with this White Sox team

Bust

Liked Posts:
IT'S OFFICIAL CUBS WIN THE TRADE!

Kimbrel, 36 innings pitched with cubs, only 13 hits allowed. With white sox he's given up 9 hits in 9 innings with a ERA of 5.79

He is a hall of fame closer and as such every save stat matters to him so it's unfortunate for Kimbrel that he is being used in a setup role but the White Sox are STACKED.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Codi Heuer -> 13.1 IP .825 WHIP 1.35 ERA
Craig Kimbrel -> 11.1 IP 1.41 WHIP 7.15 ERA