The Problem With Firing Pace

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a shame the defense can't wait for the offense to rebuild... Well everything. You almost need to use two out of the first three picks on online. Maybe draft two more behind them. And then draft weapons the next year. Sure you can handcuff robinson with the tag, but almost pointless when you can try to draft someone who might be a little more hungry. To be here. Hence why i feel a receiver is the choice with one of the first three years. Might have to wait one more year on qb. No matter who we draft. Makes no sense to have them die behind an line that can't protect him. They tried to coach up this line, now it's time to try new talent.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
It's a shame the defense can't wait for the offense to rebuild... Well everything. You almost need to use two out of the first three picks on online. Maybe draft two more behind them. And then draft weapons the next year. Sure you can handcuff robinson with the tag, but almost pointless when you can try to draft someone who might be a little more hungry. To be here. Hence why i feel a receiver is the choice with one of the first three years. Might have to wait one more year on qb. No matter who we draft. Makes no sense to have them die behind an line that can't protect him. They tried to coach up this line, now it's time to try new talent.
The team needs to reset this off season and trade off as many pieces as possible and obtain draft capital. Suck for 1 year to be in a position for a QB. If they do it halfway they risk being too good to get a good prospect the next year. It’s pointless to not do a complete reset. Mack, Eddie Jackson, Quinn, Fuller, Arob, trevathan, entire O line except Daniels need to all be off the team in the next 1-2 years

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I do realize that this is futile at the moment and expect people to shit on this. When the Bears are 2-14 in 2022 with a new GM though I will bump this thread. I really have zero faith in the McCaskey's when it comes to this sort of thing.
If they are 2-14 in 2022 they are doing this right. Should be a full rebuild. At 2-14 they can draft an elite QB prospect. 2023 should be the year we expect them to start improving again.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
This is worst bears offense I have ever seen. I don't care how good he built a defense if that means were going to have the worst offense in the league. Would Pace take a demotion? Prob not. This season had one good year under Paces tenure.

This is a pitiful offense, but I'll take it over the mess that Terry Shea called an offense.

Wait, on second thought, no I wouldn't.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Is this the same mentality that says "my boyfriend only cheats on me when he's drinking. My next boyfriend might cheat on me all the time."

Perpetual 8-8 seasons aren't much more fun for me than 2-14 seasons. That's just me. Build a perennial contender or bust.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
As bad as it is now..... it can ALWAYS be worse. Probably not the best time for this conversation after a loss, but I'll try.

Right now we have half a team. But it's a playoff half a team.

We also have half a team that's the worst at it's job in the NFL.

So before you fire Pace do you really want to let George and Friends try to hire another GM? THERE ARE ZERO GUARANTEES HE HIRES A BETTER GM! In fact it's very likely they hire a WORSE GM. The McCaskeys aren't good at this folks!

At least with Pace you have a guy who can get you half way there. Is there a way to improve him so he does better on offense? Can they hire some scouts that specialize in QB's and Oline? Can they mandate that Pace ditch the BPA strategy and actually take a chance on drafting a QB for once? (other than DSM) Is there an experienced head coach available with an eye towards offensive talent?

I know it's tempting to just blow the whole thing up. And that's the right move if you have ownership that knows what it's doing. We don't have that.

I won't shed any tears if Pace goes after this season. Just remember though..... it can ALWAYS get worse. Be careful what you wish for.
Id be willing ta bet you get rid of nagy and bring in a coach who actually teaches and improves the talent he receives and can build an offense that plays to the strength of his players and this team looks light years better.

That being said Pace chose nagy so if he gets fired it was well earned

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean offensive guru? The sumbitch cant even figure out how too run the ball
How is this fucking guy an nfl coach

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I see "building a contender" as a binary thing: you either did it, or you didn't. Being halfway is the same as making no progress - both result in week 17 being the end of your season. Its a different story if it was a rebuilding team, but this team is regressing and is almost 100% out of the brief window Pace created. You either build a playoff team or you don't, a 6-10 team isn't any better off than a 3-13 team if it takes 10-6 to make the PO. Pace is now 5/6 in the didn't category - but important to note the arrow is pointing down on the team!!!

TLDR: Pace is the Bortles of GMs - good enough to make you see potential and commit but never good enough to pull everything together and actually take the team to where it needs to go.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Is this the same mentality that says "my boyfriend only cheats on me when he's drinking. My next boyfriend might cheat on me all the time."

Perpetual 8-8 seasons aren't much more fun for me than 2-14 seasons. That's just me. Build a perennial contender or bust.
So did you end up ditching that cheating drunk?

Luke

Liked Posts:
You simply cannot allow a GM, on the final year of his contract, to allocate massive draft capital on the next QB of the future and hire the next head coach.

What HC candidate would even accept a job from a GM on the final year of his contract?

The only way to keep Pace while getting rid of Nagy is by extending Pace at the end of the season. And that would not be a good look if the Bears swoon dive continues.

True, but this is the Bears that you are talking about.
I think Pace is safe even if they end up 5-11.
The question is how many losses does it take to can Nagy or will the 2 subsequent years of offensive shit shows do it.
I wouldn't be shocked if Nagy is axed and Pagano takes over at HC leaving Lasor as OC and scrapping Nagys playbook.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As bad as it is now..... it can ALWAYS be worse. Probably not the best time for this conversation after a loss, but I'll try.

So before you fire Pace do you really want to let George and Friends try to hire another GM? THERE ARE ZERO GUARANTEES HE HIRES A BETTER GM! In fact it's very likely they hire a WORSE GM. The McCaskeys aren't good at this folks!

At least with Pace you have a guy who can get you half way there. Is there a way to improve him so he does better on offense? Can they hire some scouts that specialize in QB's and Oline? Can they mandate that Pace ditch the BPA strategy and actually take a chance on drafting a QB for once? (other than DSM) Is there an experienced head coach available with an eye towards offensive talent?

I know it's tempting to just blow the whole thing up. And that's the right move if you have ownership that knows what it's doing. We don't have that.

I won't shed any tears if Pace goes after this season. Just remember though..... it can ALWAYS get worse. Be careful what you wish for.

An unknown is always better than a known failure.

This is the type of attitude that keeps you stuck in mediocrity forever.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I can't really think of anything good that Pace has done.

Could argue that the Mack trade was good, but when factoring in draft capital given up and cap space used it was a very expensive move.

Moving up for Mitch? No.

How many free agent signings have worked? Allen Robinson, but there's a chance he's also leaving the team this offseason.

Anyway, I always thought his profile before the hire didn't make sense. He was instrumental on how the Saints were built, which includes horrible cap management and getting lucky that the Dolphins choose Culpepper over Brees.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

wow so let me get this right...
you want to keep pace because he showed he can build half a team?

it can get worse, so instead of making the playoffs 1 time in 6 years we could potentially be worse right like 0 times in 6 years? or longer? but the accomplishment of a 1 time playoff appearance is appealing is it?

You also seem to keep reinforcing it can ALWAYS get worse, well isn't the opposite also true, it can ALWAYS get better

Bolek

Liked Posts:

The issue is that Pace cannot draft or recognize offensive talent and that Nagys scheme isnt working here. If he was as smart as he thinks he is, he would draft strictly defense and trade players like Jaylon Johnson for young, proven offensive talent.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We are at the point where it is no longer possible to have a serious conversation about the future of the Bears that does not consist of a regime change.

There is no reasonable expectation that Pace or Nagy will fix this mess.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I can't really think of anything good that Pace has done.

Could argue that the Mack trade was good, but when factoring in draft capital given up and cap space used it was a very expensive move.

Moving up for Mitch? No.

How many free agent signings have worked? Allen Robinson, but there's a chance he's also leaving the team this offseason.

Anyway, I always thought his profile before the hire didn't make sense. He was instrumental on how the Saints were built, which includes horrible cap management and getting lucky that the Dolphins choose Culpepper over Brees.
He has a great eye for defensive talent, and he has gotten the ownership to move their facilities into the modern era. We should give him credit for that.

It's not enough, and doesn't balance his head coaching, QB choices, draft capital allocation, and cap management. He has failed spectacularly at all of those. Any two of those combined are fireable offenses. There's nothing left to see here.

Nagy is obviously going to be gone, so giving Pace another HC and QB choice could result in a setback that would take 5 years to get out of. I'm just really afraid they keep Pace and force a Harbaugh down his throat. Ugh, this offseason scares me.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is year 6 of Pace’s regime and he we are a non competitive team.

That’s it. That’s the end.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is year 6 of Pace’s regime and he we are a non competitive team.

That’s it. That’s the end.
I dont think all is lost tbh if they fix the oline this offense could easily be ranked somewhere around 20th

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I’m sorry dude this team fucking sucks and everyone sees it and you make a thread saying don’t try to right the ship because it might get worse. I’m not trying to be a dick. I realize the Bears have done this to your mind
You’re dealing at least in Chicago with a different mentality. Remember cub fan syndrome where we had fans for years proudly wearing lovable loser T-shirts. Huge emphasis on proudly and lovable and losers! It’s nuts losing was actually celebrated here.