The Problem With Firing Pace

Applefan

Liked Posts:
Bro you’re a fucking pussy. This team is not a playoff team and you’re worried the bears might still not make the playoffs if they make a change? Who gives a fuck? At least at 2-14 they get another chance at a QB. If they fuck that up, welcome to the last 30 years as a bears fan

Pace doesn't seem to be able to draft 3-4 OLB talent. Floyd didn't really fit. Other than that, he drafted that Fitts guy and Trevis Gipson. That's why he had to spend big in free agency and trade market.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
A GM that can't pick a QB is a bad GM and he should be fired.

It depends. Ozzie Newsome drafted a so-so one in Flacco and a serious weapon in Lamar Jackson. Other than that , he had Kyle Boller and other schlubs. Still managed 2 Super Bowl wins in 20 years. He surrounded them 'meh' qb's wit Pro Bowl to HOF caliber talent at nearly all the other positions except WR.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
I can't really think of anything good that Pace has done.

Could argue that the Mack trade was good, but when factoring in draft capital given up and cap space used it was a very expensive move.

Moving up for Mitch? No.

How many free agent signings have worked? Allen Robinson, but there's a chance he's also leaving the team this offseason.

Anyway, I always thought his profile before the hire didn't make sense. He was instrumental on how the Saints were built, which includes horrible cap management and getting lucky that the Dolphins choose Culpepper over Brees.

He also didn't learn from them. Spend high picks on good offensive lineman, make sure you have an upper tier or starting caliber backup qb. The Saints rarely had track stars at the skill positions, but the o-line is so good and the qb so accurate that it isn't necessary.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I dont think all is lost tbh if they fix the oline this offense could easily be ranked somewhere around 20th

I am not talking about the future.

In his 6th season as GM we are non competitive. We have the 31st offense in the league only ahead of a team trying to lose.

Now, we have to rebuild QB and OL, two positions he has been an abject failure at addressing well...

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
As bad as it is now..... it can ALWAYS be worse. Probably not the best time for this conversation after a loss, but I'll try.

Right now we have half a team. But it's a playoff half a team.

We also have half a team that's the worst at it's job in the NFL.

So before you fire Pace do you really want to let George and Friends try to hire another GM? THERE ARE ZERO GUARANTEES HE HIRES A BETTER GM! In fact it's very likely they hire a WORSE GM. The McCaskeys aren't good at this folks!

At least with Pace you have a guy who can get you half way there. Is there a way to improve him so he does better on offense? Can they hire some scouts that specialize in QB's and Oline? Can they mandate that Pace ditch the BPA strategy and actually take a chance on drafting a QB for once? (other than DSM) Is there an experienced head coach available with an eye towards offensive talent?

I know it's tempting to just blow the whole thing up. And that's the right move if you have ownership that knows what it's doing. We don't have that.

I won't shed any tears if Pace goes after this season. Just remember though..... it can ALWAYS get worse. Be careful what you wish for.
This is a very rational argument many will have no part in. On the one hand, Pace has drafted and built a consistently top 5-10 defense from the smoldering embers of the Emery/Mel Tucker meltdown.
On the other hand, he has handed out horrible contracts and drafted or ignored the offense to a criminal degree. He also has hired at least one, depending on your beliefs about the Fox hire, unmitigated disaster at head coach. Not sure if they could hire an offensive minded asst GM( or whatever title they would be given) to aid Pace in offensive evaluations.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
As bad as it is now..... it can ALWAYS be worse. Probably not the best time for this conversation after a loss, but I'll try.

So before you fire Pace do you really want to let George and Friends try to hire another GM? THERE ARE ZERO GUARANTEES HE HIRES A BETTER GM! In fact it's very likely they hire a WORSE GM. The McCaskeys aren't good at this folks!

At least with Pace you have a guy who can get you half way there. Is there a way to improve him so he does better on offense? Can they hire some scouts that specialize in QB's and Oline? Can they mandate that Pace ditch the BPA strategy and actually take a chance on drafting a QB for once? (other than DSM) Is there an experienced head coach available with an eye towards offensive talent?

I know it's tempting to just blow the whole thing up. And that's the right move if you have ownership that knows what it's doing. We don't have that.

I won't shed any tears if Pace goes after this season. Just remember though..... it can ALWAYS get worse. Be careful what you wish for.
Perfectly sums up my feelings and I could not agree more. If the Bears fire Pace he will find a new job extremely quickly and an astute team with a GM vacancy will see the immense potential Pace has.

That said if they fire him I understand why. The OL, QB and Nagy are all here because of Ryan Pace.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

It could be worse. True enough.

It also could be better.

So, are we as fans content with being mediocre, knowing it could be worse?

Or, are we in favor of taking a risk, knowing that it could be an epic fail, in order to take a swing at getting better?

I can only answer for myself, but faint heart never won fair lady. I say, go for the fair lady, that being the Lombardi Trophy. Id we fail, are we really all the poorer for it?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace's success rate on top-100 picks is nothing short of outstanding. All but two of them (oddly the two that were drafted highest) are starting games somewhere in the NFL right now. For a GM that has had six drafts that is incredible, nothing short of miraculous.

And he doesn't let up either, his late round picks feature a lot of studs. More than most other teams.

The question for me would be does Pace recognize where he has gone wrong? If he has then there is room to improve. Some things Pace can change right now is the handing out veteran contracts to re-sign players who are over the hill (Massie, Trevathan) and his flippant trading away of valuable picks. The latter is particularly frustrating because in the hands of Ryan Pace there is a very good chance that even fifth round picks will turn out to be valuable starters. Pace undermines his own strengths with his poor decisions elsewhere.

But if he can correct these easily correctable behaviors then there is a lot of hope.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Read around.
Just finished reading the internet. Pace is still really good at evaluating defensive talent. Sucks at most everything else and needs to go.

There is no harm in giving the guy credit for something, but solid argument.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just finished reading the internet. Pace is still really good at evaluating defensive talent. Sucks at most everything else and needs to go.

Sure, but as you said, you don’t hire someone to build half a house

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I'm only gonna make it so many times. New people can attempt to catch up. Thanks.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Sure, but as you said, you don’t hire someone to build half a house
That point was made in my previous post. I made it clear that he needs to go, but I was told I should have memorized all posts by senior members on the site.

Pace has no business ever making a coaching, monetary, or QB decision again for this franchise. They are going to have some tough decisions to make on good defensive players moving forward in order to get this offense out of the gutter. I think a soft rebuild approach like Minnesota is taking, starting next year, is the best approach. First year is always tough for a new GM, until they can get the right scouts in the door and evaluate what is at hand, so I'm OK if they can't identify a QB in next years draft and fix the line and get some speed on that side of the ball.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is a very rational argument many will have no part in. On the one hand, Pace has drafted and built a consistently top 5-10 defense from the smoldering embers of the Emery/Mel Tucker meltdown.
On the other hand, he has handed out horrible contracts and drafted or ignored the offense to a criminal degree. He also has hired at least one, depending on your beliefs about the Fox hire, unmitigated disaster at head coach. Not sure if they could hire an offensive minded asst GM( or whatever title they would be given) to aid Pace in offensive evaluations.

Honestly I get tired of most CCS conversations these days. It’s the same arguments repeated endlessly. Sometimes I try to take a different take just for the hell of it. I knew this would get shit on. But I felt it had merit as a conversation.

I really have little faith (if any) in Pace. I have even less faith in the McCaskey family. It’s not an enjoyable feeling.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get your argument because Pace is pretty good on the defensive side, and he's pretty good at finding talent in 3rd round and later, but you can't be afraid to make a change because it could be worse. You make a change if you know you can get better.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Honestly I get tired of most CCS conversations these days. It’s the same arguments repeated endlessly. Sometimes I try to take a different take just for the hell of it. I knew this would get shit on. But I felt it had merit as a conversation.

I really have little faith (if any) in Pace. I have even less faith in the McCaskey family. It’s not an enjoyable feeling.

I have little faith in George, but you have to try. You can’t stay in a failed relationship because you are afraid to date.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:

I've made a similar point in the past. I think there is merit to it. Not a risk worth taking, but I think Pace recognized his offensive short comings and brought in Nagy thinking he would help create a system and identify players that could fit. He just missed so badly on Nagy and Mitch that he needs to go. A known offensive entity would've been the right play instead of an inexperienced up and comer. Pace and Nagy just made desperate moves and are flailing embarrassingly on national TV over and over.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've made a similar point in the past. I think there is merit to it. Not a risk worth taking, but I think Pace recognized his offensive short comings and brought in Nagy thinking he would help create a system and identify players that could fit. He just missed so badly on Nagy and Mitch that he needs to go. A known offensive entity would've been the right play instead of an inexperienced up and comer. Pace and Nagy just made desperate moves and are flailing embarrassingly on national TV over and over.

Let’s not ignore his work at TE

Sims-10 million guaranteed
Shaheen-2nd round
Burton-22 million
Graham-9 millions

41 million and a 2nd round pick on total trash.