The Problem With Firing Pace

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The problem with Pace is that he's had to use draft capital and valuable cap space to cover up the big mistakes he's made both at the top of the draft and via free agency.

This covering up of these mistakes led directly to releasing Fuller and putting this team in cap hell.

-Even the Fields pick, good as it was, was only necessary because Pace passed up on two Hall of Fame trajectory quarterbacks in 2017.

-The huge-money/low-production Robert Quinn signing was a direct result of missing on the Leonard Floyd pick.

-Pace gave $17+ million to a 700-total-yards-a-season running back who can't play running back (As much as I love Cohen's skill set, he's a man without a position and doesn't actually give you much real production.)

-As much as Jimmy Graham was a pleasant surprise, his $10 million cap hit is uncalled for. The Bears weren't battling anyone for his services, and that signing was only necessary because of the Shaheen debacle. Now that's yet another contract that's hampering the Bears.

-Pace's penchant for ignoring the offensive line may now come to a head now that they finally have a good, young quarterback who could be a star. I'm grateful for the Jenkins and Borom picks, but the O-Line remains a glaring weakness that should've been addressed much sooner.

Not everything is Pace's fault, and he has also done some good stuff. But his flaws have hampered the Bears in ways that can't be denied. I don't even know how one could argue that he's not at least a below average GM.

Last edited:

shoez90

Liked Posts:
I do realize that this is futile at the moment and expect people to shit on this. When the Bears are 2-14 in 2022 with a new GM though I will bump this thread. I really have zero faith in the McCaskey's when it comes to this sort of thing.
what if we're 5-11 at the end of 2021

shoez90

Liked Posts:
You missed the point.

We have a GM that can do half the job. Pace has proven he can build a defense. My point is maybe we should see if there's a way to help him with the part he's failing at.

It's do that or pray the McCaskey family get's good at hiring..... something they have never been able to do before.
no offense so your solution is praying the Pace gets the offensive side right? Or are u suggesting to Pace's ego that he co-GM with a person you feel qualified ? to evaluate Offensive talent?? Otherwise what is different lol praying that mccaskey can learn to hire GM or praying for Pace to learn to build Offense. Sounds like alot of prayer.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I'm glad Pace is still here. A different GM might not have drafted Larry.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
I don’t think Pace is even close to being on the hot seat. I think the McCaskeys love him and they want continuity. They see the mistakes, but they also see in him what he pulled off in this draft. It’s all a crap shoot and Pace is a riverboat gambler......

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The problem with Pace is that he's had to use draft capital and valuable cap space to cover up the big mistakes he's made both at the top of the draft and via free agency.

This covering up of these mistakes led directly to releasing Fuller and putting this team in cap hell.

-Even the Fields pick, good as it was, was only necessary because Pace passed up on two Hall of Fame trajectory quarterbacks in 2017.

-The huge-money/low-production Robert Quinn signing was a direct result of missing on the Leonard Floyd pick.

-Pace gave $17+ million to a 700-total-yards-a-season running back who can't play running back (As much as I love Cohen's skill set, he's a man without a position and doesn't actually give you much real production.)

-As much as Jimmy Graham was a pleasant surprise, his $10 million cap hit is uncalled for. The Bears weren't battling anyone for his services, and that signing was only necessary because of the Shaheen debacle. Now that's yet another contract that's hampering the Bears.

-Pace's penchant for ignoring the offensive line may now come to a head now that they finally have a good, young quarterback who could be a star. I'm grateful for the Jenkins and Borom picks, but the O-Line remains a glaring weakness that should've been addressed much sooner.

Not everything is Pace's fault, and he has also done some good stuff. But his flaws have hampered the Bears in ways that can't be denied. I don't even know how one could argue that he's not at least a below average GM.

Some valid points and some definite conjecture... He didn’t miss on Floyd. He’s a fine football player but not a pure pass rusher. Fangio is the guy that pounded the table for him.

For example on the conjecture side, tell me how you know what the market was for Jimmy Graham. Are agents checking in with you?

The Bears are in a tight cap situation because of Covid. To this point, Pace has been extremely prudent with the cap. I’m sure you would have had a pandemic cap plan in mind if you were the GM.

All GMs miss and a lot. He biggest sin by far is Trubisky but it looks like the only right pick was Mahomes. Would you want Watson on this team right now? I mean that situation is a nightmare.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The 9ers just gave up more in ONE daft then pace did in two.
X you don’t understand how this works. It’s fire Pace always and Nagy is a moron.

If they fired Pace and Nagy, what do they tell prospective head coaches when they’re asked “If I go 28-20 and make the playoffs twice in my first three years, will I be fired?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
X you don’t understand how this works. It’s fire Pace always and Nagy is a moron.

If they fired Pace and Nagy. What do they tell prospective head coaches when they’re asked “If I go 28-20 and make the playoffs twice in my first three years, will I be fired?
With only 32 available nfl teams and average new contracts are 5 years 25 mil you really think they would pass the opportunity at a hc gig? If that was the case Special person organizations like the jets wouldn’t be able to make high profile hires

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
With only 32 available nfl teams and average new contracts are 5 years 25 mil you really think they would pass the opportunity at a hc gig? If that was the case Special person organizations like the jets wouldn’t be able to make high profile hires
Top coaches usually have choices. Tell me when the Jets went 28-20, made the playoffs 2 out of three years and fired the coach. I’ll be waiting.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well said & exactly correct...

Pace definitely needs this year’s draft class (which I love on paper) to succeed in-order to bail him out.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t think Pace is even close to being on the hot seat. I think the McCaskeys love him and they want continuity. They see the mistakes, but they also see in him what he pulled off in this draft. It’s all a crap shoot and Pace is a riverboat gambler......

We think and want to believe they got a QB but my 50 year experience of watching this team has taught me to never assume.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Top coaches usually have choices. Tell me when the Jets went 28-20, made the playoffs 2 out of three years and fired the coach. I’ll be waiting.
I hate to say this, but most of the wins the bears have are against sub .500 teams. Teams you should beat, I'll give you that. But even this year. The only team they Beat that was really good was the Bucs, and they caught them at a good time.

I'm no Pace Lover. But with his ass on the line, all his moves not don't look as bad as they did before the draft. And it did take someone to make me realize in this post, with all the coivd mess, the NFL did miss out on sales that would have happened, had people come to games. Less money to spend this year and A rob likely gets extended already.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some valid points and some definite conjecture... He didn’t miss on Floyd. He’s a fine football player but not a pure pass rusher. Fangio is the guy that pounded the table for him.

For example on the conjecture side, tell me how you know what the market was for Jimmy Graham. Are agents checking in with you?

The Bears are in a tight cap situation because of Covid. To this point, Pace has been extremely prudent with the cap. I’m sure you would have had a pandemic cap plan in mind if you were the GM.

All GMs miss and a lot. He biggest sin by far is Trubisky but it looks like the only right pick was Mahomes. Would you want Watson on this team right now? I mean that situation is a nightmare.

Lol, come on man... He missed on Watson also you can’t use what is going on with Watson now as an excuse. First of all Watson didn’t have any character issues coming out of college. Pace ignored him because he didn’t think he was worth drafting. Also it’s not like Watson is not coming back. He will eventually be back & he will still be an elite level QB. Pace missed on Mahomes & Watson for a wayyyyyyyyyyyyy lesser talent & the trade up to do so was just terrible. With all that said if Fields is the real deal, all that will become water under the bridge. For the moment, for me it’s water under the bridge right now however if Fields fails that water will return.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
This is weak. Other coaches around the league know they went 12-4 year 1 then regressed considerably 2 years in a row and backed into the playoffs the last year because they added a playoff spot.