The Psychology/Pathology of Bears Fandom

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
It's been interesting watching the fall out from the trade up to select Trubisky on here and across the league. Initially talking heads seem confused apart from the usual platitudes about taking a QB if you're convinced he's a franchise guy. A day later, we're starting to see more of the older guys that have seen it all before (Bill Polian, Jim Trotter and that generation) come out in favour of the move. Polian in particular was effusive in his praise of Pace's ability to keep it all quiet and get their guy adding that the mid round picks were "small change" if Trubisky pans out.

I would say the consensus is still that Pace made a mistake by giving up too much draft capital. But the analysts are more divided about it than they were when it happened.

I couldn't really care less what the outside world thinks to be honest because I am fan and I am so heavily invested at this point. It's interesting hearing opinions but that's about it.

What is absolutely fascinating to me is the reaction of Bears fans. I've just seen a selection of clips of Bears fans melting down in their living rooms about this pick. At least half this board seems to absolutely hate it. I've seen multiple people saying that's them done with the Bears, on here and in real life.

These are guys (I assume) that have watched a slug trail of mediocrity and incompetence at the QB position for thirty years. We've been tied to Jay Cutler for eight years. We've seen what happens when you have a bad QB and a very good defense. We've seen what happens when you have an average QB and a historically bad defense.

I understand the analysts criticising the picks because they haven't lived through McNown, Grossman, the entire 1990s, Hoyer, Orton et al. They can just shrug their shoulders, say that looks dumb, and move on.

But I just cannot understand Bears fans not at least having a little joy in their hearts that we have a QB that might be really good. It makes me wonder whether some of us have been ground down by the years of mediocrity to such an extent that we are no longer able to see any hope. For some, the primary purpose of supporting the Bears seems to be a lightning rod for all their frustrations and disappointments rather than something that can lift you up after a tough week.

My day job is a child and adolescent psychologist. I am always in awe at a child's ability to see the positive in even the most shitty set of circumstances. Some way along the road, the childlike enthusiasm and optimism gets eroded. But for it to be eroded to the extent that finally getting a QB is something to be met with dismay and rage? Something is broken here.

Just have a bit of hope for a change. Or maybe just give it up. When your fandom becomes a pathology, something that brings you way more pain than joy, maybe it's time to re-assess whether it's healthy for you to follow a football team. For the rest of us, enjoy a bit of relevance, even if it's just for a few years.