The QB School breaks down Matt Nagy playcalling [video]

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point, Mitch needs to be looking into finishing his degree and finding another career.
it won't even be a disappointment. He has his money, his girl...maybe he can go into sports management.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
At this point, Mitch needs to be looking into finishing his degree and finding another career.

He was a sports science major, Bears should hire him.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The success of the I-formation probably has a lot to do with the fact that Nagy never uses it and defenses already know what's coming with his usual formations and plays. The Chargers were probably like "WTF formation is this!?" from CHI.... lol

That said, we should be using it more.
They also played a team that’s soft in the middle. I’d like to see if they could find some sustained success moving forward.

Glad they waited until mid-season though

Luke

Liked Posts:

well, he will have pocketed 29 mil I'm guessing he doesn't need another career.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
well, he will have pocketed 29 mil I'm guessing he doesn't need another career.

Yeah, even after taxes he will be fine as long as he doesn’t spend money like a moron.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
For those who can’t watch the video, I’ll try to sum up the play. This play that Nagy called for Trubisky that resulted in a fumble, SCAT HANK, was the most basic of play designs. It is the first play installed in a west coast offense, a play that even 4th string QB’s need to have down. It’s such a remedial play that it’s almost never actually used in a regular season game.

Trubisky’s first read is Burton in the middle of the field. If he’s open, throw it to him immediately. If either of the linebackers comes in to take away Burton, throw it to the hook route on that linebackers side of the field. That’s it, simple as that. The only things Trubisky has to read on this play are the 2 linebackers standing directly in front of him in the middle of the field.

4qk3VeS.jpg

cgHmi7T.jpg

Burton was wide open immediately. Neither of the linebackers came in to take him away. But Trubisky scanned past him and looked to the hook route on the left side of the field, where the linebacker was still sinking. The rest is history...

BkPOBX.gif
All I see is Leno regressing to horseshit status

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Look closelyer. Trubisky passes off Burton before the pressure arrives.
It's almost like he read Burton as a check down after the hooks rather than the primary read.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Add the scat hank play & the Gabriel overthrow to the 2 or 3 plays from the Football Dr. Phil video...and you got around 5 plays that Trubisky missed easy opportunities on.

WTF is wrong with this guy?

I'm beginning to believe he's going to be a one contract bust.

Does anyone believe another team wants this guy? He should take his $29MM, his health, and his new gf and move far away. Forget about being a backup. He's made the biggest contract he's ever going to see.

There are people on this forum that truly believe NE will pick up Mitch if he leaves the Bears and turn him in to an All Star.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Outside of a fumble, everything is better than an INT there.

Did you see how wide open the 3rd row stands were at the 50 yard line? Trubisky should have thrown it there.
Yup....better than an int

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
The success of the I-formation probably has a lot to do with the fact that Nagy never uses it and defenses already know what's coming with his usual formations and plays. The Chargers were probably like "WTF formation is this!?" from CHI.... lol

That said, we should be using it more.

The success of the RPO offense or lack there of is probably because its on tape every fucking game.

The i formation isnt on tape nor is a T or Power I or 2 TE set...

Welcome to the age of recorded tv footage.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
All I see is Leno regressing to horseshit status

This, and how! On that supposed simple (remedial) play call, the Scat Hank, I see Leno getting walked right into Mitch. Sure Trubisky could have gotten the throw off to Burton in time, but on such a BASIC play, all Leno has to do is hold his guy off for a reasonable 1.5 seconds, but he fails miserably.

Keep in mind that if Leno's guy doesn't drive him easily and so effortlessly right into Mitch's back, the rest of the pocket was perfectly clean. He would have had time to hit someone else or even taken off.

Why isn't the OL, and Leno in particular, being blamed for some of these major issues?!

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's almost like he read Burton as a check down after the hooks rather than the primary read.

This play was right after the bad Gabriel miss downfield. His mind may have gone completely blank under the weight of the extreme pressure he was feeling at that very moment. Hard to explain, otherwise, how an NFL qb could miss such a simple read.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
This play was right after the bad Gabriel miss downfield. His mind may have gone completely blank under the weight of the extreme pressure he was feeling at that very moment. Hard to explain, otherwise, how an NFL qb could miss such a simple read.
It's plays like that one and misreading the corner dropping on the Interception that showed me after the Packer game Mitch was never gonna be elite. Now we just gotta hope he can make some improvement this season but I'm just not seeing it at all in any phase of his game.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thank you for posting this. For those who don’t know who JT O’Sullivan is...

In 2002, J.T. was the New Orleans Saints 6th round pick in the NFL Draft. He played for the Saints for three years. In 2004, he was traded to the Green Bay Packers. From there, he played in the NFL for the Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, San Francisco 49ers, Cincinnati Bengals, San Diego Chargers, and Oakland Raiders. In addition, he had two seasons in NFL Europe for the Frankfurt Galaxy and one season in the CFL for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

UNIQUELY QUALIFIED

Beyond an NFL QB with experience in 12 different NFL offenses, J.T. is uniquely qualified for the QB School because of his post-playing academic career. In 2017, J.T. completed his Ph.D. in Leadership Studies from the University of San Diego. Dr. O’Sullivan has the practical experience and theoretical expertise to better educate and help others understand in-depth football analysis.

O’Sullivan has a great Patreon page where he breaks down game film at the level of NFL coaches. I highly respect everything he puts out.

I hope everyone gets to watch this video. His breakdown of the SCAT HANK concept play where Trubisky fumbled the ball was truly eye opening and likely the final straw in the coaching staffs faith in Trubisky.

To completely misread a play that is literally the most basic play concept in NFL offenses, one so simple and vanilla that it is practically never used outside of preseason, has got to be rock bottom.
I was sooo trying to stay optimistic about Mitch last year. Don't think I've had one good thing to say about him this year. Pointing at the poor OL and play calling doesn't excuse the sort of play we've received from Mitch. Even while trying to support him, waiting to see if he would develop, I've said he never seemed the sharpest pencil in the box but you would think reps in an O, that redundancy, would allow him catch up. He genuinely looks like he'll never get there and who would wait that long if it were even an option? I play him this year and hope for what would now be a miracle. Do I exercise his option for $4.4M? Sure but I certainly don't extend him.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
There are people on this forum that truly believe NE will pick up Mitch if he leaves the Bears and turn him in to an All Star.
That will happen, i'll bet you Lori Lightfoot's graft take for the next two years.