The Reality of the Free Agent Budget

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We know that Pace likes to go into the draft without glaring holes on the roster, which means he has a lot of work to do on a tight budget. This is assuming that ILB is addressed in house.

QB2
RG
OT3
TE
OLB3
SS
CB3-4

To go into the draft without a glaring hole this is the list

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Now you have to split 20-25 million between theses spots and you are not left with a lot per player. It may be a multiple tier 2-3 player offseason to fill the obvious needs.

QB2
RG
OT3
TE
OLB3
SS
CB3-4

Assuming you have 25 million for Free Agency that do you budget per spot?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I have no clue. I imagine that depends on the position depth in the draft at these positions too.

But offhand, I value O-line and D-line first with pass rushers and QB2 next. All others follow with an eye toward potential and value.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
These are per year values, so probably less in the first year for those who get longer contracts.
QB2: Will pay, likely $4-8m
G: Will pay, likely $4-8m
CB4: Scrap heap, unless Prince is released but then there will be more $ to spend.
OLB3: Medium pay, DPR type as long as Floyd is retained, $2-5m, probably older guy. Much more without Floyd.
SS: Low pay, maybe Bush and someone to compete, $3-5m total. One of the easier positions to get a decent FA.
TE: Hard to imagine they spend alot here with weak FA class, I'm guessing pretty cheap inline TE, $1-2mil.
OT3: Scrap/draft.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
We know that Pace likes to go into the draft without glaring holes on the roster, which means he has a lot of work to do on a tight budget. This is assuming that ILB is addressed in house.

QB2
RG
OT3
TE
OLB3
SS
CB3-4

To go into the draft without a glaring hole this is the list

ILB won't be addressed inhouse....

There is no one there worthy....they will need to bring back, in some fashion, JLP, Trev, Kwiat...this will take away from the free agent budget

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't believe we will ever win a SB without a top 10 QB, which Mitch is clearly not at this point. Could we simply take a flier on some UDFA or late round pick at QB and pay them shit? I mean, if Mitch shits the bed, let the team (and our record) burn. Let's get the highest pick possible for 2021 and rebuild the offense and give a new HC or GM every chance to make some moves.

Why waste $$$ on a backup? I know there is a slim possibility the Bears D and a "remade" offensive line could maybe do some damage in the playoffs with a game manager at QB, but long term that shit won't fly. We know this. The Bears know this. So, why not cut Chase, and get a cheap option in there?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Now you have to split 20-25 million between theses spots and you are not left with a lot per player. It may be a multiple tier 2-3 player offseason to fill the obvious needs.

QB2 (Sudfeld or Keenum + draft pick)
RG (draft or post draft dumpster dive)
OT3 (draft or post draft dumpster dive)
TE (pre-draft FA pickup and draft)
OLB3 (draft or post draft dumpster dive)
SS (pre-draft FA pickup)
CB3-4 (draft or post draft dumpster dive) Assuming they don't cut Prince pre-draft. Big change if they do.

So the three positions I think get addressed before the draft are QB, SS and TE. The rest will be draft or post draft dumpster diving. Can't see them spending big money on the oline with what they've already spent. Pace will hope coaching changes can get the 4 that are locked in playing better. RG they'll get a vet later on and probably draft a developmental guy.

They'll extend AR at some point and free up some cap space once they know how much they'll need.

These are just my predictions based on watching Pace.... not my recommendations. (please note the difference)

I think Sudfeld is the mostly likely QB in FA. His prior QB coach is now our QB coach. He will be cheap. (3 mil last year) It's a chance for him to compete. Pace can sell him as having "upside."

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Why waste $$$ on a backup? I know there is a slim possibility the Bears D and a "remade" offensive line could maybe do some damage in the playoffs with a game manager at QB, but long term that shit won't fly. We know this. The Bears know this. So, why not cut Chase, and get a cheap option in there?

Because of that slim chance. These aren't mutually exclusive ideas. The Bears can get an expensive-ish backup QB, AND still try to get a top 10 QB. They don't really have a high enough pick to get one this year, and may never draft high enough without trading up. So, they should take every chance they can to win while they have a really good defense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

There is no one there worthy....they will need to bring back, in some fashion, JLP, Trev, Kwiat...this will take away from the free agent budget

That is what I meant by in house. They will re-sign someone from their own group.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't believe we will ever win a SB without a top 10 QB, which Mitch is clearly not at this point. Could we simply take a flier on some UDFA or late round pick at QB and pay them shit? I mean, if Mitch shits the bed, let the team (and our record) burn. Let's get the highest pick possible for 2021 and rebuild the offense and give a new HC or GM every chance to make some moves.

Because if they do not have a legit QB behind Trubisky and he stays in the toilet their jobs may be at risk.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QB2: 7 million
RG: 3-4 million
OT3: 2 million
TE: 4 million
OLB3: 3 million
SS: 3 million
CB3-4: 3 million

I think you would have to budget it somewhere like this. This should get you players that do not force your hand in the draft.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Chase is a FA..... no need to cut.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
got it...still will use up a solid chunk of free agent money

I think the Bears can get to 50 million in a total budget for the offseason. That is with extending Robinson, Floyd and Patterson and making the obvious cuts we have discussed.

50 million
-5 draft
-2-3 emergency fund
-17-20 re-signings, which does not go far
-22-25 free agency

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Assuming you have 25 million for Free Agency that do you budget per spot?

It is quite the pickle because everything depended on needing the bare minimum behind Trubisky from a financial standpoint. It is probably why they were so committed to Trubisky the end of season presser...they literally have no real choice.

You really need starters at RG & TE in FA and that is probably 16 million right there. You can get creative with the signing bonuses, but I just cannot see how you make room for a starting caliber OT...let alone QB...with all that money tied up elsewhere.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kevin Pierre-Louis: 3
Deon Bush: 3
RRH: 3.5

1 year deals at roughly 1 million

Brent Urban
DHC
Scales
Coward
Lucas
Irving

Holtz [610k]

You can spend 16 million pretty quick on depth guys and just keeping a couple of your own free agents.

greg23

Liked Posts:

This

All three are free agents meaning money needs to be allocated to the position....unless pace thinks Iggy is a starter.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This

All three are free agents meaning money needs to be allocated to the position....unless pace thinks Iggy is a starter.

no one thinks Iggy is a starter.....

I honestly think they will bring back JPL and draft an ILB.