The Rebuild Projection : Updated as we go

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@Raskolnikov in the SP rotation.

I imagine Kopech or Cease in that 2 spot... who knows wtf Rodon gonna look like, and do we really want to buy a #2?

I feel like Kopech or Cease grow into the 1 and 2 spots and Giollito may well settle into the 3 spot.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
@Raskolnikov in the SP rotation.

I imagine Kopech or Cease in that 2 spot... who knows wtf Rodon gonna look like, and do we really want to buy a #2?

I feel like Kopech or Cease grow into the 1 and 2 spots and Giollito may well settle into the 3 spot.
yeah...I think they should buy a #1/2 veteran type in the next 12-18mo via FA or trade...to take pressure off Gio and let the other guys compete out. Hoping guys slot out doesn't do much for me with pitching. I'd be happy to get a true #3, and #4 representative of a good/winning playoff ready team out of the lot of them...

not just average guys like the Sox stock up on.

With the penchant for injuries in their group there isn't much hope for me left to see an elite 3-4 guys, which you need, like the Dodgers have, Cubs wish they had, and Houston had when they won, Red Sox had going last year, and White Sox lucked into in 05 with Contreras turning 44 into 24, and Garland having a career year, Garcia getting hot for playoffs. But that isn't really how you build a pitching staff...just praying an eclectic group suddenly all has the best stuff they ever had at the same time in the same october.

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think we have an open window starting next season to start competing for a championship. Go for a top pitcher in fa(we have the money after that dud fa that just passed) and we can be legit contenders. If we can land one that is worthy in fa we won’t need to trade any of our prospects for one which would be another big plus. Houston’s cheap asses added that verlander contract and its paid off big time for them. I think we should follow what they did just in fa instead of a trade

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we have an open window starting next season to start competing for a championship. Go for a top pitcher in fa(we have the money after that dud fa that just passed) and we can be legit contenders. If we can land one that is worthy in fa we won’t need to trade any of our prospects for one which would be another big plus. Houston’s cheap asses added that verlander contract and its paid off big time for them. I think we should follow what they did just in fa instead of a trade

The organization has to show us they want to win.

Look at the Padres...who despite 40 wins are buyers for pitching at the deadline, because they are already thinking next year and beyond.

Not that the Indians would give us Bauer, but there comes a point where the Sox have to pony up and finish the rebuild. They are starting to hit, they have speed...

all they need now is what we had when we started the "re-build." Starting pitching.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IMO they should hold the deck right now. Nova provides innings and stability to a unstable rotation.

They need to o just let Cease develop naturally

NdSoxfan2

Liked Posts:
IMO they should hold the deck right now. Nova provides innings and stability to a unstable rotation.

They need to o just let Cease develop naturally
Rebuilding has hit a gigantic speed bump since the all star break. Sox worked like the dickens to be in a good position at the break and then went in the dumper.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rebuilding has hit a gigantic speed bump since the all star break. Sox worked like the dickens to be in a good position at the break and then went in the dumper.

I get that but it takes time. Last year you guys lost you potential ace. This year you gained a potential ace. And have Cease adapting to the talent.

If it is me I would just get a Scrappy CF type that can lead off and push Roberts to RF. Having a line up geared for power only is limited. BP wise team is solid. Lopez I would keep for a year. Let your main 3 carry the load then out of the 2 lefties try to get 30 starts out of them. Rondon has a bad track record and I would be hesitant to dub him as anything.

Outside of that let them develop and add as needed. It was the Indians turn now it is the Twins. Sox have 2 self developed teams to see how it is done.

For myself I'm not a fan of dumping the system for a quick fix. Cubs did that and made the Yankees a power house. Gave you guys a ace quality starter and a middle of the order bat.

If you sell anyone Aberu is a maybe. 1B IMO is all about the bat first approach and there are DH types on the market every year that can catch a ball.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
we ain't gonna make the playoffs next year...probably eek toward .500...but this organization won't actually go buy the arm or two they need to be there at the end with gauntlet of yankees, red sox, houston, indians, twins....

not to mention potential risers and other wildcard obstacles.

I'm giving up on 2020 already and adjusting rebuild projection now. They don't have the arms, and won't do more than sniff the bargain rehabs and pray for resurgences of old lost velocity types or like a homer bailey....

Reiny needs to sell both his teams and probably move this one if Bridgeport won't come out.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Idt they will either Rask. I think they will pull another dog and pony show like last years fa. But if they bring in a couple legit pitchers I don’t see how we can’t compete with the best of them

NdSoxfan2

Liked Posts:
Its time to wave the white flag and admit the rebuild is failing miserably. The last three seasons have been a total disaster. I personally think that last year's team was the worst Sox team in history. This spell since the All Star break has to be one of the worst (maybe THE worst) stretches in Sox history. Is it time to et rid of Rick Hahn?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Its time to wave the white flag and admit the rebuild is failing miserably. The last three seasons have been a total disaster. I personally think that last year's team was the worst Sox team in history. This spell since the All Star break has to be one of the worst (maybe THE worst) stretches in Sox history. Is it time to et rid of Rick Hahn?
The rebuild failing? I do not see it.

They have their 2b in Madrigal
They have their SS in Anderson
They have their 3b in Moncada
They have Robert, Jimenez (among others) in the OF
They have Collins and Zelby at C
They have a litany of candidates for 1b/DH including Vaughn
Pitching they have Giolito, Kopech, Lopez (I believe he'll be fixed in the off season), Cease
Bummer, Burdi in the pen
They have another stellar pick this coming year

Yes, the rebuild part ends and they begin to add.

How is it not a success?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Pitching they have Giolito, Kopech, Lopez (I believe he'll be fixed in the off season), Cease
Bummer, Burdi in the pen

How is it not a success?

Lopez has been damn good since the break without much to show for it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

Bummer, Burdi in the pen

How is it not a success?

I like what I see so far. But they are going to need to open that check book in fa to finish off this rebuild.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Agree with zombie, they need to demonstrate a real commitment to winning in 2020 by signing at least one top line SP and probably another midlevel guy (I was thinking someone like Gio Gonzalez here before he got hurt).

I'd also think about another outfielder, someone who can play all over. Adam Eaton? This will let Robert work in at his own pace and will allow Eloy to DH more.

Need to resign McCann and probably at least a one year deal for Abreu. Vaughn probably isn't going to be ready. Will be interesting to see if Madrigal is. I think because of his defense, speed, and acumen he will start the year in the bigs even if his bat isn't quite ready.

Opening day:
Eaton LF
Garcia CF
Moncada 3B
Abreu 1B
Jiminez DH
Anderson SS
Robert RF
Mccann C
Madrigal/Goins/Yolmer 2B

I'd say that's a lineup with potential to really strong. Starting pitching is going much more tenuous, no matter how you slice unless they can get someone like Gerritt Cole.

NdSoxfan2

Liked Posts:
Agree with zombie, they need to demonstrate a real commitment to winning in 2020 by signing at least one top line SP and probably another midlevel guy (I was thinking someone like Gio Gonzalez here before he got hurt).

I'd also think about another outfielder, someone who can play all over. Adam Eaton? This will let Robert work in at his own pace and will allow Eloy to DH more.

Need to resign McCann and probably at least a one year deal for Abreu. Vaughn probably isn't going to be ready. Will be interesting to see if Madrigal is. I think because of his defense, speed, and acumen he will start the year in the bigs even if his bat isn't quite ready.

Opening day:
Eaton LF
Garcia CF
Moncada 3B
Abreu 1B
Jiminez DH
Anderson SS
Robert RF
Mccann C
Madrigal/Goins/Yolmer 2B

I'd say that's a lineup with potential to really strong. Starting pitching is going much more tenuous, no matter how you slice unless they can get someone like Gerritt Cole.

NdSoxfan2

Liked Posts:
I see all of these projected lineups for the future that have wonderful potential. Ara Parseghian used to say that potential will get you fired. The streak since the All Star break has been a total embarrassment. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see much hope for the future.Third year of the rebuild and things are getting worse.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Opening day:
Eaton LF
Garcia CF
Moncada 3B
Abreu 1B
Jiminez DH
Anderson SS
Robert RF
Mccann C
Madrigal/Goins/Yolmer 2B

I don’t think they would bring back Eaton. Do you remember the Drake LaRoche nonsense?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I see all of these projected lineups for the future that have wonderful potential. Ara Parseghian used to say that potential will get you fired. The streak since the All Star break has been a total embarrassment. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see much hope for the future.Third year of the rebuild and things are getting worse.

Their starting pitching was bad to begin with and has been decimated by injuries. Their lineup is good when healthy. You're going to run into some brick walls when Dylan Covey and Whatever-his-name-is Despaigne and that awful lefty are starting pitchers.