Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
And at this point, why win games? I'll take a top 5ish pick again in next year's draft than finishing right around 12-15 for the draft.

I’d like to see Giolito, Lopez and Cease win all their starts. I want these guys confident going into 2020. Lopez has pitched well since the break without much to show for it.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I’d like to see Giolito, Lopez and Cease win all their starts. I want these guys confident going into 2020. Lopez has pitched well since the break without much to show for it.
I don't need them to win, but yes, pitch well. Similarly I want to see the fundamentals improve. (how long has that been a want for us?)

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'd like to Cease get a couple of elite outings. He was really inconsistent in the minors this year, but he has a string of 5-6 starts where he was totally lights out. Would be nice to see him get a couple in the bigs for confidence.

Lopez is clearly pitching better, Giolito looks like he's a bit ground down, probably the air coming out of the balloon after their weak start to the second half and his ASG appearance.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'm going to watch Vaughn play tonight. I went to watch Madrigal earlier in the year when he was with WS but they gave him the night off.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Vaughn: saw 3 at bats, everyone was hitting tonight it seemed, left in the mid 4th (got a 5 year old) and the Sox team already had 8 runs.

First thing, he is really short. Not close to 6'. I was about 15 rows behind the dugout, and he looked like the shortest guy on the team during the anthem. Definitely a couple inches shorter than both opposing middle infielders. 5'10 at most. Doesn't run well, but we knew that.

He has a really thick lower body and you can tell his bat speed is above average. But more than that he's a savvy hitter. He doubled in his first two trips, the first a ball that two-hopped the wall in right center on a fastball away and the second a rope into the left field corner on a low breaking ball. Both were with two strikes. He's patient. He's a hitter. The power is there but more than that he's just a guy who can barrel the more than most. Got a ways to go but he's just such a natural hitter.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vaughn: saw 3 at bats, everyone was hitting tonight it seemed, left in the mid 4th (got a 5 year old) and the Sox team already had 8 runs.

First thing, he is really short. Not close to 6'. I was about 15 rows behind the dugout, and he looked like the shortest guy on the team during the anthem. Definitely a couple inches shorter than both opposing middle infielders. 5'10 at most. Doesn't run well, but we knew that.

He has a really thick lower body and you can tell his bat speed is above average. But more than that he's a savvy hitter. He doubled in his first two trips, the first a ball that two-hopped the wall in right center on a fastball away and the second a rope into the left field corner on a low breaking ball. Both were with two strikes. He's patient. He's a hitter. The power is there but more than that he's just a guy who can barrel the more than most. Got a ways to go but he's just such a natural hitter.

Sounds like a perfect hitter, and the short is what makes him a poor first baseman...that takes outs away from your infield.

The wide and squatty is what makes him poor at outfield. Lets start to look at him as a special kind of DH that can take 25 games work load off Abreu ... but is mostly a DH.

I can see why they would consider Abreu/Jiminez at first base with Steel Walker/Rutherford lefties potentially in the corner outfield.

Then Robert can split time with a more capable defensive CF outfield type, and hopefully spend his bulk of games in RF.

Its a situation where if they can't re-sign Abreu now they probably get worse on defense, and if they sign him then Vaughn will have to do some Manny Ramirez in LF 25 games a year.

One big question you bring up...is how will an electronic strike zone be calibrated for taller vs shorter players. Right now shorter players have the zone advantage, allowing Altuve, Lindor, Pedroia, Aranado types that are some of the best hitters in baseball. That height plays to your advantage, until there is a uniform zone.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Robert is a five tool player. He's not a platoon player nor a late inning benched player for a better defensive guy.
When I suggest Robert "split-time" at CF, Brett, I am assuming he slides to RF on that day, but thanks for the clarification.

I follow you, and my post was certainly unclear, but I am not confused...just because Robert might not be a true center fielder but is a better fielder than the other big bats that can play the corners, I am assuming to maximize the current line-up projection Robert needs to make half his starts in center field...

if you don't like that I suggest moving one of Jiminez/Abreu/Vaughn/Rutherford/Walker

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
When I suggest Robert "split-time" at CF, Brett, I am assuming he slides to RF on that day, but thanks for the clarification.

I follow you, and my post was certainly unclear, but I am not confused...just because Robert might not be a true center fielder but is a better fielder than the other big bats that can play the corners, I am assuming to maximize the current line-up projection Robert needs to make half his starts in center field...

if you don't like that I suggest moving one of Jiminez/Abreu/Vaughn/Rutherford/Walker
Sorry if you took offense. I meant none.

I see, sure, he could slide ver. If Jiminez isn't going to play average defense. Perhaps true of others. We still need one more impact OF that can play great defense and be average or better at the plate.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry if you took offense. I meant none.

I see, sure, he could slide ver. If Jiminez isn't going to play average defense. Perhaps true of others. We still need one more impact OF that can play great defense and be average or better at the plate.
No offense man. You flinched like a beaten animal there, but I understand around here. ;)
It looks to me like we will have to settle for the pair of power lefties Rutherford/Walker, and a mix of more traditional defensive center fielders. That is why I see Robert as spending some time in center...as he is the best fielder in the surplus of bats.

I am very hopeful that Walker/Rutherford will net us at least one power lefty.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Really wish they would call up Robert, but I get it. You want the extra year of control. That's okay.

Madrigal is eating shit on the AAA scene, but his numbers are slowly getting better.

Gotta assume after the deadline for the extra year, barring no injuries/huge setbacks, in 2020 the Sox line up is partially made up of:

C: Collins/McCann
1B: FA/Collins
2B: Madrigal
3B: Moncada
SS: Anderson
LF: Jiminez (I think he should DH, personally)
CF: Robert
RF: FA
DH: FA

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Really wish they would call up Robert, but I get it. You want the extra year of control. That's okay.

Madrigal is eating shit on the AAA scene, but his numbers are slowly getting better.

Gotta assume after the deadline for the extra year, barring no injuries/huge setbacks, in 2020 the Sox line up is partially made up of:

C: Collins/McCann
1B: FA/Collins
2B: Madrigal
3B: Moncada
SS: Anderson
LF: Jiminez (I think he should DH, personally)
CF: Robert
RF: FA
DH: FA
so no more Abreu?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
How has Cease looked?

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I would have moved Abreu at the deadline. Can't imagine they didn't get any offers..

Nah he wasn't putting up good numbers.

If he comes back, I hope its just a two year deal at most. 2/25 or some shit like that.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Nah he wasn't putting up good numbers.

If he comes back, I hope its just a two year deal at most. 2/25 or some shit like that.

You can't tell me they didn't get a decent offer though honestly. I mean he was struggling but I find it hard to believe they didn't get a decent offer.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The White Sox have acquired "Elijah" Tatis.

May he be our savior and help us not look at the colossal fuck-up we have made(either that or Madrigal becomes an all-star)

Keep covering that ass Hahn!! Lets not let this fester in our souls for an entire career!