The salary cap guy that Pace replaced Stein with is now in Green Bay

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Smart guy Packers got a good hire sadly. Pace was the problem not him.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why you gotta squash my initially happy reaction to this? ?

I have to wonder if he didn't speak up with Pace, or perhaps that's not how they ran things here. More bean-counter, less meddling, despite the precedence set by McCaskey & Sweaty Teddy.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Cliff Stein is leagues above him. There Bears were never in cap hell when Stein was running contracts.

Bears and Saints were in cap hell when Laine and Pace were there. Also Laine used dead money to kick the can to next year when signing players. An Example is Trevathan still counts on 2023 cap.

D.J. Moore

The Member
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
People kinda overlook it but when Poles brought back Stein right away I had a feeling he was already better then Pace.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't THINK the Packers will have the same pressure to maximize a closing(closed) window as his last two stops, but here's hoping ?

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't know much if anything about him, is he good? Big lose? Is Stein the current guy?
I'm sure some of it was Pace's willingness to kick the can down the road, but when he took over he helped put the Bears in miserable position salary cap wise. I am not sure the Bears are still paying void years, but there were multiple players no longer on the team last year that the Bears were still having count against the cap. That was a big part of why the Bears had to clean house and get rid of bad contracts. I really do not understand how a team could look at his resume from the Bears and say, ya, come on in and fuck up our numbers too! Glad GB did though.
Stein is a legend in cap management and it was an extremely questionable move when Pace replaced him with this guy.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

10veitout

Liked Posts:
I don't THINK the Packers will have the same pressure to maximize a closing(closed) window as his last two stops, but here's hoping ?

The Packers window is easily more open then the Bears window was lol.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ummm, are you sure about that? I think he was pretty horrible.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
KEK

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Packers window is easily more open then the Bears window was lol.
The Packers aren't in a window unless Love is a revelation this year (The Bears weren't either but they THOUGHT they were). Their talent level is fine, but not good enough to win in the playoffs without phenomenal QB play. I really like some of the players on the team, I even like a lot of the moves they made, but with the assets from the Rodgers trade, if Love is an above average QB, I see them possibly contending in 2024 (for a real playoff run, any team could luck into winning this division this year), but only if they hit on a lot of their moves. I could also see any team in the division outside of MN doing the same by 2024 given similar "make good moves" restrictions.

Now if Love is bad? Well then you've got some great assets to rebuild/retool, but you're not realizing a window for a few more years unless you try to go the "sign and ride the aging vet QB on an expensive contract" which I don't think you have the other talent to consider.

Overall, at least this year it's a very different situation than he has been in before either way, which was my point. I don't really care that much about bashing the Packers, that's not my style, but thinking they are in a window is probably aspirational at this point.