Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just recently binged this show, and was initially disappointed in the ending.

But the more I think about it, and all the clues that were available, I think he got whacked.

What do you guys think happened?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Here's a great, and long, piece on the ending:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-sopranos/27194/explaining-the-sopranos-final-scene

The most crucial part:

Here's where Chase starts to get clever. Each time the diner's door opens, its bell rings and we see Tony looking up in the direction of the noise. In the following shot we see whomever's coming through the door from Tony's point of view - or through his eyes, if you like. The bell establishes a pattern of shots and elicits from us a Pavlovian response. We learn to anticipate the sequence: the bell rings, Tony looks up, and we know that whatever immediately follows those raised, expectant eyebrows is whatever Tony is seeing at that exact second. Ding, raised brows, eyes, ding, raised brows, eyes.

Meadow finishes parking, and we see her dashing towards the diner. Any second now we know she's going to push through that door, and the ding, raised brow, eyes sequence is going to repeat itself. So when that bell dings - or perhaps tolls - for the final time, and we see Tony's eyebrows and then... nothing... nothing... we're forced to conclude that this 'nothing' is what Tony is seeing at that exact moment. And under what circumstances other than death would a man's point of view change so swiftly and unexpectedly to nothing? To blackness?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Reactions: BNB

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Millions of words on the ending out there. This one is about as thorough as I've ever seen:

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

Aside from the POV shots there's also lots of foreshadowing. The first episode of season 6 is titled "Members Only," the Gerry Torchiano hit and Sil's perspective on it, Tony's talk with Bobby at the lake.

Yeah, I just finished it yesterday, so I'm like 10 years late to the party haha.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
the show creator bitched out and couldn't pull the trigger on tony

i was pissed at first but i've made my peace with it

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Easiest explanation about the ending. Leave it ambiguous to keep the door open to bring the show back

Or you can believe the director/writers are artists and have hidden meanings

I think it was to keep the door open kind of like dexter garbage ass ending

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
I loved this series along with The Wire. I fly a lot and I’ve watched both through 3 times. I feel like the writers left it open for the future.

I think it was to keep the door open kind of like dexter garbage ass ending

The last 2 seasons?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Dexter sucked, because Showtime dramas suck.

Ray Donovan has been great. They move to NY next season, so we'll see.

Tony definitely got whacked. I was super pissed when it happened, our cable had been going out a lot at the time, so I thought that's what happened, much loud swearing happened next.

BestBearsFan

Liked Posts:
You spend 8 years and over 800 hours telling us a story and don't have enough balls to give us an ending. Fuck you!

The writers for Breaking Bad had balls.

Mitchapalooza

You spend 8 years and over 800 hours telling us a story and don't have enough balls to give us an ending. Fuck you!

Breaking Bad was a great ending. Although Sopranos ending was fine once you realize he got whacked. It's from Tony's perspective, that's what it's like to be whacked. No noise, just black before you know it. They foreshadowed it a lot. I didn't mind it.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Breaking Bad was a great ending. Although Sopranos ending was fine once you realize he got whacked. It's from Tony's perspective, that's what it's like to be whacked. No noise, just black before you know it. They foreshadowed it a lot. I didn't mind it.

I wasn't even disappointed... I thought it was clever, and a dignified way to go about it.
Clever because you get to experience his death with him. Life ain't fair, you will never know what happens in this world after death grabs you.

Dignified, because what death sequence could have been fitting?
What do we need to know about how or why?
Do we need to see the brains spatter his family?

He held life and death power over others, and it was fitting to have the rug yanked out in the blink of an eye.

I suppose a gunshot as the lights went out might have helped the masses understand...but I like the silence. If your brain gets vaporized by a bullet, it will do so before the sound hits you.

Loved it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
1. He absolutely got whacked. The clues are all there as is the foreshadowing.

2. It's a fucking GENIOUS ending because years later people are still talking about it, still debating it.

The ending that pissed me off to no end was Lost.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

LOL. Sorry you're too fucking stupid to enjoy it.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Have you guys heard of the theory of Patsy Patrisi possibly ordering the hit?

Theory basically goes like this:

Patsy almost killed Tony in the past, after he realized Tony killed his Twin brother.

Patsy's son was arrested on a drug charge. Carlo was also arrested and gave info to the feds, which is why Tony was probably going to be indicted. Patsy and his wife were at Tony's house, and it seemed to be an uncomfortable situation after the arrest of Patsy's son was brought up. Tony's face appeared worried that his son would also rat him out to get a better deal.

How would Patsy know Tony was going to this restaurant? Well Meadow was dating Patsy's other son, and she may have told him where she is heading.

There were a lot of JFK assassination references throughout the show. Plus, JFK's brother was named Robert (or Bobby as a nick name), and Tony's brother-in-law was Bobby. Lee Harvey Oswald, JFK's killer, when arrested shouted, "I'm just a Patsy!"

Over the last couple off episodes, there just seemed to be a lot of time spent on Patsy's boys and him.

I thought it was pretty interesting to ponder.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Dexter sucked, because Showtime dramas suck.

The first four seasons of Dexter were fantastic. Problem was they milked the show after that instead of letting it come to its natural conclusion, so the storytelling got more and more outrageous.