The three QB moves I see as most likely to be played by Pace.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I will say I did buy into the bullshit of the Bears being after Wentz. But I now see these 3 paths as the most likely for Pace to follow in his search for a QB.

I can't see him going after the likes of Winston, Newton, Ryan,Dalton.

So here is what I see as most likely in decending order of likelihood.

1) Acquire a former twinkle in his eye.
---Marcus Mariota is likely to be cut , with Carr likely getting an extension, no way they keep a $11.35M backup QB, and I think Pace still has a semi-boner for him. This along with a 3-5th rd rookie as backup, and cut or trade Foles.

2) Trubisky part deux. No not re-signing Trubisky, but moving up in the draft for a QB. Not for TL or JF, but to around #10 for Wilson/Lance/Jones.

3)Go all in on Watson. I just don't think the Bears have the capital for this move, but Pace has been known to like to make big splash moves in the past.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think and would hope ownership told him he has to work with what he has, after all, he made this fucking mess of a roster. I'm hoping they go LT or WR and roll Foles out there. I don't care about the record next year as long as Nagy and especially Pace are gone.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Outside of Watson I don't want them giving up any future first round picks for a QB, whether via trade or trading up in the draft. I too want Pace gone and it's going to be hard to land a good GM if they're missing first round picks right away.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Mariota could do in this offense for a one year try. No great expectations but I think it would be more interesting than Foles.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think they resign Mitch say that he's still the Apple of their eye though not sure enough to be worth tagging, and try to sell that while drafting somebody in 1.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Watson and Carr aren't coming .
None of the rest are good alternatives but thats what is left.
Mariotta was always one of my first assumptions and could be dealt for a low pick before he is cut. He probably does not want to come here to try and resurrect his career .
I guess Darnold is a possibility but there is a lot to fix ASAP so I don't know. does he want to resurrect his career here?
Flip was Minshews OC in 2019 and he could recommend him.
Lazor was Daltons OC in Cincy so I wouldn't discount that tie in either.
Fitzmagic is a possibility then you really dig down for Brissett, Taylor...
I just can't believe Mitch comes back.

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Watson is the only FA I want to see with Foles as the Backup.
If not Watson then get aggressive in the draft, I like Wilson and Jones.
As a last resort, after the draft, Trubisky, Mariota, or any other former starter that gets cut.
As a last, last resort start Foles and pickup the best backup you can get off the street (I think Pace and Nagy would rather fall on the sword than do this).

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Watson is the only FA I want to see with Foles as the Backup.
If not Watson then get aggressive in the draft, I like Wilson and Jones.
As a last resort, after the draft, Trubisky, Mariota, or any other former starter that gets cut.
As a last, last resort start Foles and pickup the best backup you can get off the street (I think Pace and Nagy would rather fall on the sword than do this).

If only Watson was a free agent...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wentz was a former twinkle in his eye and he reportedly didn't go after him.

Does anyone see anything redeeming about Mariota? I don't see any reason why the Bears would want Mariota over Trubisky.

I don't see the Bears making a lateral talent move at QB...

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Does anyone see anything redeeming about Mariota? I don't see any reason why the Bears would want Mariota over Trubisky.

While I haven't studied Mariota's career on a play-to-play level, I have a hard time imagining that his obliviousness in the pocket and accuracy are quite as troubling as Trubisky's. Maybe I'm wrong.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The Bears are now feeling the affects of keeping the dead man walking Nagy. No QB wants to come here with Nagy at the helm.. he is a QB killer. They would have been much better off with a fresh head coach that had some connections.. or at least not having a horrible track record.

The Bears are probably going to have to look at the draft and take the 5 or 6 QB selected. That's a tough spot to be in.

Resigning Trubisky is beginning to make more sense, which is a tough fact to accept.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

Pace would be pretty stupid if he replaces Trubisky with Mariota. That does not make the QB position any better. If that was his big QB move then he should be fired right after Mariota signs.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
While I haven't studied Mariota's career on a play-to-play level, I have a hard time imagining that his obliviousness in the pocket and accuracy are quite as troubling as Trubisky's. Maybe I'm wrong.

I haven't watched much of Mariota either (for the same reason I haven't watched a lot of Daniel Jones - why would you?) but from the little I have seen and heard from local media reports, he looks and sounds like he suffers from almost the exact problems that plagued Trubisky:

Edit: Just looked this up because of tweet - Mitch has also fumbled 27 times in his career.

And then the statistical similarities are pretty uncanny as well:

Trub Mari Comp.JPG

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Mariota because he would be an easy and cheap get...then you at least have someone to compete with Nick Foles for the job in a season I would not mind seeing end with Nagy & Pace being shown the door.

That said, he really is not much better than Trubisky and I don't know how you sell it to Matt Nagy.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

I am not saying Mariota is better than Trubisky, but the reason that Pace/Nagy may prefer him is that, he doesn't come with the immediate questions:

Why did you bring back Mitch when you benched him midway through game 3 of last season, for a career middling backup due to unacceptable QB play when the team was 2-0 at the time? Doesn't that show you had no confidence in him even to begin last season?

If Mitch remain benched while Foles was 2-5 as a starter, only losing his job to injury, why bring him back?

If Mitch was always the plan for 2021, why didn't you begin negotiations right after the season ended?

After 3 years of Nagy and Mitch seeming to have a disconnect and putting up a, at best, bottom 1/3rd offense why should fans feel like next year will be any different?

Will you be applying at Applebee's or Lowes first next offseason?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think and would hope ownership told him he has to work with what he has, after all, he made this fucking mess of a roster. I'm hoping they go LT or WR and roll Foles out there. I don't care about the record next year as long as Nagy and especially Pace are gone.

if that is the attitude of ownership, then they are fucking stupid for not just firing him

"so yeah, we are going to keep you on cause we think there is still a chance. oh, but you get no resources. good luck."

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not saying Mariota is better than Trubisky, but the reason that Pace/Nagy may prefer him is that, he doesn't come with the immediate questions:

Why did you bring back Mitch when you benched him midway through game 3 of last season, for a career middling backup due to unacceptable QB play when the team was 2-0 at the time? Doesn't that show you had no confidence in him even to begin last season?

If Mitch was always the plan for 2021, why didn't you begin negotiations right after the season ended?

After 3 years of Nagy and Mitch seeming to have a disconnect and putting up a, at best, bottom 1/3rd offense why should fans feel like next year will be any different?

Will you be applying at Applebee's or Lowes first next offseason?

Trying to imagine Pace and Nagy trotting out Mariota and saying "Ladies and gentlemen, we got him."

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I haven't watched much of Mariota either (for the same reason I haven't watched a lot of Daniel Jones - why would you?) but from the little I have seen and heard from local media reports, he looks and sounds like he suffers from almost the exact problems that plagued Trubisky:

Edit: Just looked this up because of tweet - Mitch has also fumbled 27 times in his career.

And then the statistical similarities are pretty uncanny as well:

View attachment 10439

"frequent trips... increase opportunity for injury"

uh

sounds like a real winner

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like Mariota because he would be an easy and cheap get...then you at least have someone to compete with Nick Foles for the job in a season I would not mind seeing end with Nagy & Pace being shown the door.

That said, he really is not much better than Trubisky and I don't know how you sell it to Matt Nagy.
Cheaper than Mitch that already (kinda) knows the O? Mariota has a $10.7m salary and would require trade capital to secure. It's possible that the Raiders cut him but they can keep him until Sept without penalty so not to likely he moves without a trade. No roster bonus nor guaranteed money left in his contract. Raiders are in the driver's seat on this one and may just choose to keep him anyway.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trying to imagine Pace and Nagy trotting out Mariota and saying "Ladies and gentlemen, we got him."
Like a new strain of the current disease, I suspect he re-signs Mitch, says it was the plan all along but Mitch needed to test the market and then uses that to smokescreen the draft.