Liked Posts:
Wow. Do we fire Poles now or wait? He could have had:

39. Pickens
48. Brisker
71. Lucas
5th Woolen (if no trade down)
6th Pacheco and Rodriguez

Hindsight is 20-20.

I think firing a GM after 4 weeks is a bit hasty.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

39. Pickens
48. Brisker
71. Lucas

No one cares about Pacheco. Plenty of RB’s like him found on the street.

It’ll be funny when Pickens implodes mentally everyone will backtrack on wanting him.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Seems like everytime I watch the guy he is gutting pushed in the backfield, especially on pass protection. Guy just gets blown up. Allowed 4 sacks in 4 games. Just because some is starting don't assume they aren't trash.
Yeah I mean that’s essentially the point I was making, he’s doing well for a 5th rounder. He’s not doing well for what a top 20 let alone top 10 LT should look like. I’m hoping they get a real one next year.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
No one cares about Pacheco. Plenty of RB’s like him found on the street.

It’ll be funny when Pickens implodes mentally everyone will backtrack on wanting him.
If that happens... I'd still take him :ROFLMAO:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

39. Pickens
48. Brisker
71. Lucas
8 year extension

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was joking. But I hated the Brisker pick more than the Gordon pick (mainly because he was the 2nd pick of the two). The Bears 100% should have went offense there, BPA be damned. And it's not like Brisker is was a bad pick. And he looks like a damn good player too, so no issues there. But I do question the value added and the opportunity cost of potentially going from Pickens to Velus vs. Brisker to a 3rd round SS.
The double DB 2nd round was a headscratcher for sure. I understand BPA and it was Poles first draft with a depleted roster so he's just looking for starters, but at some point (and this is something that Pace struggled with imo) the position has to be more relevant. If not, you end up taking solid players at LB/S/TE/G (Because BPA strategy and all the other teams are drafting players at important positions) and then drafting important positions late (WR, DL, OL).

Then all of a sudden you have solid players at positions that aren't as important like the Bears roster now, and you have really bad players at positions that are really important all because of BPA. There's gotta be a happy medium.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The double DB 2nd round was a headscratcher for sure. I understand BPA and it was Poles first draft with a depleted roster so he's just looking for starters, but at some point (and this is something that Pace struggled with imo) the position has to be more relevant. If not, you end up taking solid players at LB/S/TE/G (Because BPA strategy and all the other teams are drafting players at important positions) and then drafting important positions late (WR, DL, OL).

Then all of a sudden you have solid players at positions that aren't as important like the Bears roster now, and you have really bad players at positions that are really important all because of BPA. There's gotta be a happy medium.
I believe that you have simplified the situation.

BPA means that, when the Bears are on the clock, they pick the one player that is head and shoulders above everyone else that is still left in the draft.

If there are a group of players with the same rating, the Bears can either draft the BPA at a position of need or trade down to get extra picks.

Now, we do not know how Poles had rated his draft board, so we do not know if he followed the BPA system. We do know that CB and S, especially CB, were positions of need. We might be able to guess that Pickens might have been completely off the Bears draft board, seeing their aversion to risk, meaning that he would not have been picked up by the Bears even if he had gone undrafted.

So, picking Gordon and Brisker did not have a huge deviation from BPA and certainly not from BPA at a position of need.

People need to remember that, per some front office person who I forget who he is, the difference between a good team and a great team is usually four or five star players on the team. Yes, QB is usually one of those 5, but the other players also matter.

If Poles ends up hitting on both of those players (big if), then the Bears have two star players that can be counted on for the next decade.

Imagine if the Bears had Brown playing safety for the Bears during the 2006 Super Bowl. Would it have been a huge upgrade to the team? Yes, Tommie Harris playing would have been more impactful because he was a star at the most important defensive position, but would adding a Meh player at 3 Tech have really helped the Bears more than a star safety?

As for Pace, he was NOT always a BPA GM. A perfect example was when they drafted Kmet.

When the Bears were on the clock in the 2nd round, Kmet was a long way away from being the BPA left on the board. What he happened to be was the top-rated TE, a position of need that year, coming in a weak TE draft class.

So, Pace did not follow the BPA philosophy and ended up with a TE that is not very special.

Poles has to follow his draft board, removing players that he believes are undraftable for various reasons (Pickens?) and then drafting one BPA who is head and shoulders above the rest, drafting a BPA at a position of need from a group of similarly ranked players or trading down to get additional players.

It is possible that he did exactly that. Since the Bears were bereft of talent at multiple positions, Poles let the draft come to him in the 2nd round, not reaching for lesser talent at more important positions of need.

There will always be some players who do really well while coming from lower draft picks. Unless you have a time machine, these players are difficult, if not impossible, to guess that they should have been drafted earlier.

As they (almost) said in Buggs Bunny,

"You got a time machine?"
"N-n-n-no."
"You know where to get a time machine?"
"N-n-n-no."
"Then shut up."

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So George Pickens is the 6th best rookie WR?

What happened? Mitch??
Your obsession with their positional ranks is so odd. the 11th drafted WR right now looks like a better player than the 6th drafted CB.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We have a lot of rookies contributing/starting, but thus far Brisker and Braxton Jones look like pieces you can build around.
Gordon has struggled, and I still hold out hope, but with JJ out, we really need him to take his lumps and start to figure it out.
I think Braxton will be fine but his pass blocking has been horrible.