The Walking Dead

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That was super weak.
There was also zero suspense when Carol was walking them towards the cliff- once they announced carol and daryl have their own spinoff down the road, it is impossible to take any danger either one of them get in to seriously- we know they make it.

I also thought the Beta showdown was crap. We saw a bigger "battle" between the oceanside chick and the whisperer that caused her death.

The Beta end was oddly lazy.

It wasn't even an actual fight.... the fight Beta had with Darryl where he ended up at the bottom of an elevator shaft was far better.

I thought they would take the opportunity for Negan and Beta to fight.... Negan saving Darryl so he could go do something else, thus kinda sealing a bond there between Negan and the group.

And then when Beta died it was all cracked out and weird, and they threw the bit in at the end to reference the fact Beta was famous in the world before TWD.

Might've of just had one of the archers shoot Beta with an arrow and have him get eaten.

They could have just used arrows to pick off most of the fucking Whisperers, then let the horde disperse.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The Beta end was oddly lazy.

It wasn't even an actual fight.... the fight Beta had with Darryl where he ended up at the bottom of an elevator shaft was far better.

I thought they would take the opportunity for Negan and Beta to fight.... Negan saving Darryl so he could go do something else, thus kinda sealing a bond there between Negan and the group.

And then when Beta died it was all cracked out and weird, and they threw the bit in at the end to reference the fact Beta was famous in the world before TWD.

Might've of just had one of the archers shoot Beta with an arrow and have him get eaten.

They could have just used arrows to pick off most of the fucking Whisperers, then let the horde disperse.

That dangling famous story line seemed unfinished- maybe a coronavirus derailment.

my thought was it would play out to give beta renewed life in a fight.
Negan/Daryl beating him down, mask flies off.
One of them ready for the kill shot recognizes him and stalls out.

As it stands, it was a curiosity and nothing more... and it bums me out.
They made many allusions to it, they solidified it after Alpha died, and then they did jack shit with it aside from causing a single whisperer to be killed over it.

...what would really cheese me out is if they carried it over to the new story line and had one of his relatives be a part of the commonwealth. that would just be stupid.

.. on the famous guy post apocalypse front, that was one of the only redeeming qualities of "The Postman". Tom petty.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Didn't it seem like they would delve a bit deeper into that new weird girl character "Princess" that Eugene and co. met in the city?

Brand new character.... seemed like she'd be a new character that would stick around.

Last episode felt like she was just another Alexandria person who tagged along.

It felt like Beta going out would be a big deal in a 90 minute long episode.

And it felt like Princess might get a longer intro where the group was trying to figure her out and vice versus.

Instead it was like a hockey line change.... "Fuck this old stuff, we're moving on."

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Double post

Last edited:

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Didn't it seem like they would delve a bit deeper into that new weird girl character "Princess" that Eugene and co. met in the city?

Brand new character.... seemed like she'd be a new character that would stick around.

Last episode felt like she was just another Alexandria person who tagged along.

It felt like Beta going out would be a big deal in a 90 minute long episode.

And it felt like Princess might get a longer intro where the group was trying to figure her out and vice versus.

Instead it was like a hockey line change.... "Fuck this old stuff, we're moving on."

Again it goes back to the comics but she gets fleshed out, and you find out the whys of the solitary life and the clownish shtick.
Not a huge player but a catalyst for things to come.
They got her appearance and outfit dead nuts on, so it might start winding back towards the comic lines with slightly different players.

For beta and the horde....such a huge buildup for such a nothing ending.

Now that beta is gone, this won't be a spoiler...
Negan breaks Lucille on beta while kicking the shit out of him, and I was really hoping for that.
Negan eventually buries the remains as a symbolic burial of his wife, and that was a huge turning point for him.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Again it goes back to the comics but she gets fleshed out, and you find out the whys of the solitary life and the clownish shtick.
Not a huge player but a catalyst for things to come.
They got her appearance and outfit dead nuts on, so it might start winding back towards the comic lines with slightly different players.

For beta and the horde....such a huge buildup for such a nothing ending.

Now that beta is gone, this won't be a spoiler...
Negan breaks Lucille on beta while kicking the shit out of him, and I was really hoping for that.
Negan eventually buries the remains as a symbolic burial of his wife, and that was a huge turning point for him.

Oh ok, glad they chucked that character building moment in the trash.

Thank heaven we got to see Carol and Lydia hide behind some rocks together while a zombie horde oddly chooses to whole sale walk off a cliff.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Oh ok, glad they chucked that character building moment in the trash.

Thank heaven we got to see Carol and Lydia hide behind some rocks together while a zombie horde oddly chooses to whole sale walk off a cliff.

With shitty CGI to boot, turrible.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
With shitty CGI to boot, turrible.

If they were gonna deviate from the comics (Beta/Negan fight omission) they shoulda done this:

1. The besieged group ends up in like a Walking Dead version of Helm's Deep.
2. You get a big long battle where all guns/arrows/projectiles are expended.
3. The fighters get to show off that Roman legion shit they did in the opener.
4. They are pushed back, cornered, the remaining fighters trying to protect the kids.
5. Those Commonwealth White Knights show up and Eomer the fuck outta the remaining horde/whisperers.
6. Maggie walks down the ramp of an APC to end the episode.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
if i had to craft a daryl/negan beta showdown off of the premise of the survivors hunting whisperers in the horde, i would have gone this route-

Beta spies negan, grabs him by the scruff of his neck and drags his ass in to a warehouse.
After all, if i am beta I wanma kill him, not chance a walker getting him.
Get a few minutes of negan trash talking beta while they fight, beta get the upper hand, and in comes daryl, Lucille in hand.
He chucks Lucille to negan, and the battle royal is on.

Kill shot is negan busting lucille on the back of betas head, driving it forward in to daryls knife.
The deed is done, negan and daryl share a nod to one another the way rick and daryl used to do.

Fade to negan picking up the remains of lucille.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
if i had to craft a daryl/negan beta showdown off of the premise of the survivors hunting whisperers in the horde, i would have gone this route-

Beta spies negan, grabs him by the scruff of his neck and drags his ass in to a warehouse.
After all, if i am beta I wanma kill him, not chance a walker getting him.
Get a few minutes of negan trash talking beta while they fight, beta get the upper hand, and in comes daryl, Lucille in hand.
He chucks Lucille to negan, and the battle royal is on.

Kill shot is negan busting lucille on the back of betas head, driving it forward in to daryls knife.
The deed is done, negan and daryl share a nod to one another the way rick and daryl used to do.

Fade to negan picking up the remains of lucille.

I prefer something else where neither Beta's death, the Whisperers' death as a group, nor even the massive Whisperer horde's death is well written/executed.

I'd prefer if the story just focused on a Carol/Lydia mother-daughter relationship and paid lip service to the end of a major group of villains.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd prefer if the story just focused on a Carol/Lydia mother-daughter relationship and paid lip service to the end of a major group of villains.

No doubt.

Who needs conflict or tension when you are drowning in subtext???

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I prefer something else where neither Beta's death, the Whisperers' death as a group, nor even the massive Whisperer horde's death is well written/executed.

I know your mom beheaded my son, and we beheaded your mother.
I know our groups have annihilated each other, and that nobody has a place to live.
But, can I braid your hair?

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
New FTWD on last night.
boring and predictable.

SOOOOO sick and tired of the soul searching, who am I story lines.
The answer is simple. You are a person/walking buffet for zombies trying not to get eaten.

Ginny's methods suck, and the way she runs things would have resulted in someone killing her long ago.

One single kudos for the show- Ginny has a sister. She shows up early on with no introduction of who she is, but the girl they got to play her is a dead on ringer for ginny. when I first saw her, I half thought it was ginny with a different hair cut. the resemblance is uncanny.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
New FTWD on last night.
boring and predictable.

SOOOOO sick and tired of the soul searching, who am I story lines.
The answer is simple. You are a person/walking buffet for zombies trying not to get eaten.

Ginny's methods suck, and the way she runs things would have resulted in someone killing her long ago.

One single kudos for the show- Ginny has a sister. She shows up early on with no introduction of who she is, but the girl they got to play her is a dead on ringer for ginny. when I first saw her, I half thought it was ginny with a different hair cut. the resemblance is uncanny.

TWD: 95% Soul Searching cringe, 5% People actually living in a world full of zombies.

Even when they finish soul searching, they always spend a seemingly miniscule amount of time being that new person.

Remember when Alicia was a bad ass, then a pacifist of a sort, then a painter, and now she's back to w/e she was before the soul searching.

If Morgan has one more fucking journey of personal discovery he deserves some kind of frequent flier card.... Man protecting son, psycho broken person defending a town, Padawan learner for cheese man, Outcast Jedi wandering the land, Apprehensive Rick disciple, Pacifist Monk dude, Junk yard loner, Humanitarian bad ass, and now a retread of Rick after his Prison-farmer days.

I could keep going.... they need to pick a fucking lane and explore characters rather than floundering in a land of self-discovery so much that any character turn is just another blip rather than something meaningful.

Idk the organization of the writers for all 3 shows, but they need to get rid of the squishy feels writers and push them to the back of the room.

I'm sick of a show centered around a world overrun with zombies trying to be This Is Us or some other drama feels show.

It is like these writers have no idea what strong persons with tough experiences can become... all they seem to do is keep characters in a cycle of emotional absence/growth that never ends.

When do any of these characters move on from their fucking feels and deal with real world problems in the context of a world overrun by zombies?

Sometimes it is just hard to deal with a nasty Thunderstorm or a drought.... every episode doesn't need to be epic self-discovery.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The identity crisis issues and the love issues are likely an attempt to attract female viewers I would guess.
Carol and Daryl are the Sam/Diane or Jim/Pam of that world.
It feels like they have decided they need to make the characters identifiable... and nobody can identify with that world.

Show me more places like that flea market/ bazaar they had on FTWD.
Show more groups like the Wolves.
Maybe have a serial killer.
Maybe have some travelling markets, with people who tap the armor market.
Maybe try not killing off the highwaymen in 2 episodes.
Maybe find a settlement that operates a hydro electric damn.
Maybe find a group that are actively hunting walkers.
Maybe hunt down and exploit industrial areas, maybe grab a yellow pages and find resources en masse.
Maybe find a construction yard, heavy equipment, and build a real barrier.
Find a gas bottling company, use LP or whatever else is there for fuel and construction.
Maybe repurpose a ski lift with chain saw blades rather than cables and let zombies behead themselves as they walk towards it.
Maybe run across a forced prostitution ring.... or a zombie prostitution ring.

There are literally thousands of compelling adaptations people would hit upon immediately were an apocalypse to occur that go unexplored in favor of soul searching drama...something that was never really a part of the source material.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The identity crisis issues and the love issues are likely an attempt to attract female viewers I would guess.
Carol and Daryl are the Sam/Diane or Jim/Pam of that world.
It feels like they have decided they need to make the characters identifiable... and nobody can identify with that world.

Show me more places like that flea market/ bazaar they had on FTWD.
Show more groups like the Wolves.
Maybe have a serial killer.
Maybe have some travelling markets, with people who tap the armor market.
Maybe try not killing off the highwaymen in 2 episodes.
Maybe find a settlement that operates a hydro electric damn.
Maybe find a group that are actively hunting walkers.
Maybe hunt down and exploit industrial areas, maybe grab a yellow pages and find resources en masse.
Maybe find a construction yard, heavy equipment, and build a real barrier.
Find a gas bottling company, use LP or whatever else is there for fuel and construction.
Maybe repurpose a ski lift with chain saw blades rather than cables and let zombies behead themselves as they walk towards it.
Maybe run across a forced prostitution ring.... or a zombie prostitution ring.

There are literally thousands of compelling adaptations people would hit upon immediately were an apocalypse to occur that go unexplored in favor of soul searching drama...something that was never really a part of the source material.

They did find that dam in Mexico, I forget if it produced power or not.

Like everything else it was short-lived, and the outpost/community there was overrun/destroyed and all our characters cast to the wind.

They keep up this cycle of:

1. Walk the world of the dead
2. Find/establish safe ground
3. Safe ground is overrun, return to step 1.

I agree 100% on your ideas, bringing real world challenges mixed with this setting.

Part of what I liked about Z Nation was how they often made episodes about some practical problem mixed with a zombie twist.

The new TV writer world seems to be shifting to "Things don't happen, People happen."

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
z nation had some funny shit. the rolling self consuming zombie ball was awesome.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
z nation had some funny shit. the rolling self consuming zombie ball was awesome.

Swamp zombies, weed zombies, zombie ball, smart zombies, stupid zombies, lol they touched on most stuff.

The final season got all woke and kinda political, and too many feels by the end.... kinda glad it got cancelled.

It did a much better job of building a smaller base of characters, most of which you enjoyed for one reason or another.

That is one problem I see with TWD.... very few characters have chemistry with one another, much less with the audience.

Darryl/Rick being quietly indifferent towards eachother was the last great character relationship in TWD.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think my favorite character conversion in the semi recent past was Dwight.
I thought that was one of the only well played soul searching storylines, because it was relatable.

A follower who fell in with a bad crowd.
Has enough self reflection to realize the protection wasnt worth the extortion negan held over his sister in law(?) for insulin.
escapes, immediately suffers catastrophe, crawls back and lives on Negans terms.
Sees Daryl again, is reminded of his selflessness, and it drags him down.
Wife takes off, he flips and wants to see the saviors burnt to the ground.
He does it knowing there will likely be a reckoning at the end, but follows through- he has nothing left, and at the end in the woods lets Daryl know it is all good, that he is a "piece of shit" and was happy just to see negan fall.

Daryl begrudgingly turns him loose with a warning never to come back.

That whole course of events seems real. From both sides.
I thought is was a great arc that could absolutely play out with real human beings.
The best part of it all is that there were no grand speeches by either. You could read what they felt and that was enough.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think my favorite character conversion in the semi recent past was Dwight.
I thought that was one of the only well played soul searching storylines, because it was relatable.

A follower who fell in with a bad crowd.
Has enough self reflection to realize the protection wasnt worth the extortion negan held over his sister in law(?) for insulin.
escapes, immediately suffers catastrophe, crawls back and lives on Negans terms.
Sees Daryl again, is reminded of his selflessness, and it drags him down.
Wife takes off, he flips and wants to see the saviors burnt to the ground.
He does it knowing there will likely be a reckoning at the end, but follows through- he has nothing left, and at the end in the woods lets Daryl know it is all good, that he is a "piece of shit" and was happy just to see negan fall.

Daryl begrudgingly turns him loose with a warning never to come back.

That whole course of events seems real. From both sides.
I thought is was a great arc that could absolutely play out with real human beings.
The best part of it all is that there were no grand speeches by either. You could read what they felt and that was enough.

Shoulda turned Darryl and Dwight into a homosexual couple.

Not woke enough for my taste.