The Walking Dead

canucklehead

Liked Posts:
I dont know this so I am asking. I thought the virus had to be transferred via bodily fluid.

Viruses are not living things, so they don't necessarily need to be transferred by bodily fluid, which would be why a scratch could get you infected. I'm sure you could get the virus by licking one of them.

canucklehead

Liked Posts:
The smoke from burning them spread the virus in Return of the Living Dead. That's what really started the out break.

I did not know that/think of that... ok, yeah, just quarantine and bury then
<

supraman

Liked Posts:
Viruses are not living things, so they don't necessarily need to be transferred by bodily fluid, which would be why a scratch could get you infected. I'm sure you could get the virus by licking one of them.

See this is the problem debating horror scenarios. Each series has different rules of the supernatural.

Look at all the different vampire rule sets.

canucklehead

Liked Posts:
See this is the problem debating horror scenarios. Each series has different rules of the supernatural.

Look at all the different vampire rule sets.
emo teenage vampire douches that sparkle n the sun don't count. as far as vampires go, sun, garlic, and a stake through the heart covers everything.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
So far, this may be one of the greatest television series in recent memory.

Television is coming back with a roar with series like this, Boardwalk Empire, and Mad Men.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
AMC has announced approval of a second season already. This looks to be an on-going saga much the way the comics are. Now I want to read the graphic novels. Looks like I'll be heading by Half Priced Books sooon.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
AMC has announced approval of a second season already. This looks to be an on-going saga much the way the comics are. Now I want to read the graphic novels. Looks like I'll be heading by Half Priced Books sooon.

I'm going to wait for season 1 to be completed. I don't want to spoil the fun.

ginnie

Liked Posts:
Just watched the first two episodes - a hell of a show! One wonders how no one thought of it before, zombies being so popular and all...

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
Rumor has it they're going to start looking into giving "Y: The Last Man" a similar network treatment. That has the potential for awesomeness as well.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Rumor has it they're going to start looking into giving "Y: The Last Man" a similar network treatment. That has the potential for awesomeness as well.

Fuck i might even be able to get a date in that situation.

maryo

Liked Posts:

Ohhhhh rrrrreally? That would make me happy.... but only if they didn't fuck it up.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
Ohhhhh rrrrreally? That would make me happy.... but only if they didn't fuck it up.

Nothing has been confirmed... it was just a rumor I read on io9, I think. Figured by spreading it, it might have more of a chance to get made (like you said, as long as they don't fuck it up).

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
what would your first and second weapons of choice be in the zombie apocalypse? second weapon of choice is basically, if you couldnt get the first one.

Keep in mind if you choose a gun, ammo runs out.

For me it has got to be a japanese katana. Made for slashing/cutting, two handed, relatively light, can be easily carried on your back, has reach.

(in reality Id take any sword, but I will for me second choice assume I cant get any sword)

2nd weapon of choice, aluminum baseball bat, cant cut, but durable, light and easy to swing and smash skulls, has reach.

Obviously, any sort of gun is the best weapon to have

but, any sort of gun should be a last resort. i.e. if you are in a situation that melee weapons just cant get you out of, then you use it. because there will come a time when you dont have any bullets, so in the words of same jackson, it should be saved for when you absolutely positively gotta kill every mutha fucka in the room.

supraman

Liked Posts:
what would your first and second weapons of choice be in the zombie apocalypse? second weapon of choice is basically, if you couldnt get the first one.

Keep in mind if you choose a gun, ammo runs out.

For me it has got to be a japanese katana. Made for slashing/cutting, two handed, relatively light, can be easily carried on your back, has reach.

(in reality Id take any sword, but I will for me second choice assume I cant get any sword)

2nd weapon of choice, aluminum baseball bat, cant cut, but durable, light and easy to swing and smash skulls, has reach.

Obviously, any sort of gun is the best weapon to have

but, any sort of gun should be a last resort. i.e. if you are in a situation that melee weapons just cant get you out of, then you use it. because there will come a time when you dont have any bullets, so in the words of same jackson, it should be saved for when you absolutely positively gotta kill every mutha fucka in the room.

BFG9000, just kidding. seriously Katana is a really good choice but for the sake of taking something else. Fireman's Axe, Composite shaft so dont break easy. One side for chopping, other side for piercing and pulling, top of it used to hammer. So it would be a weapon and a tool, it is the zombie apocalypse after all. Second choice Aluminum bat or an old school aluminum hockey shaft with a strong blade. It has longer reach than a baseball bat and can cause damaged if used properly. Not as much as a baseball bat but the reach advantage is a few feet.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
BFG9000, just kidding. seriously Katana is a really good choice but for the sake of taking something else. Fireman's Axe, Composite shaft so dont break easy. One side for chopping, other side for piercing and pulling, top of it used to hammer. So it would be a weapon and a tool, it is the zombie apocalypse after all. Second choice Aluminum bat or an old school aluminum hockey shaft with a strong blade. It has longer reach than a baseball bat and can cause damaged if used properly. Not as much as a baseball bat but the reach advantage is a few feet.

1. Machete

2. Some sort of axe or maybe a mattock

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Nothing has been confirmed... it was just a rumor I read on io9, I think. Figured by spreading it, it might have more of a chance to get made (like you said, as long as they don't fuck it up).

Never heard of this (I assume) graphic novel. more info please?

as for the weapon, I would want something that was longer distance but reloadable with unlimited ammo. Like a really good cross bow. or something. something that i could use to kill them without getting close, but could pick the ammo out of them and reuse it.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Gotta go with a good, strong, hunting bow. Worst case scenario, you can make the arrows, plus, you can always pull them out of those you kill.

Backup would be a katana, for when things really get hairy.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
Never heard of this (I assume) graphic novel. more info please?

Here

It's basically about a virus that wipes out the entire male population on Earth... except for this one dude Yorick and his pet monkey Ampersand. The women break out into a whole bunch of different factions: a new "amazon" man-haters, the politician's wives that take over their dead husbands roles, some Israeli commandos... all having their own agendas while Yorick is just looking for his girlfriend.

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here

It's basically about a virus that wipes out the entire male population on Earth... except for this one dude Yorick and his pet monkey Ampersand. The women break out into a whole bunch of different factions: a new "amazon" man-haters, the politician's wives that take over their dead husbands roles, some Israeli commandos... all having their own agendas while Yorick is just looking for his girlfriend.

Thats an interesting scenario. It could be the greatest thing ever to happen to that guy or the worst. His testicles would be the most valuable item on the planet.

Although, a virus is a finicky thing, its not alive, so I am not certain were it airborne, if all the possibly hosts disappeared, would the virus still exist. So repopulating the planet might not be an option, unless the dude could pass on his immunity. Im pretty sure you can generate enough genetic diversity with one male and an assload of females, so it would be unlikely any of his line, would need to have relations with any other member of his seed for quite awhile, and by that time it would probably be rather diluted. I stress "need", because any female offspring he produced, if they wanted to get down on the farm with a man, would have no choice but to get boned by a close relative.

This is actually an interesting scenario, to guestimate how long we could go without in breeding.

lets assume a woman is capable of bearing children for 45 years (guesstimate). So Im sure there are female babies present or pregnat women who havent given birth yet, so Id say we would roughly have at least 45 years where inbreeding isnt required. the key is over that 45 year period, how much could you dilute the males blood line, so when inbreeding must occur you can ensure maximum diversity.

Lets say a male is sexually mature at 15 (varies, guestimate). So we have the first sexually mature male 15 years later so now we have 30 years left on the no inbreeding clock. (im just using the example of one direct line, the dude could probably father over a thousand children a year, hed be busy but its possible)

ok so lets say the 15 year old starts getting busy and his kid is now 15 so that leaves 15 years on the inbreedometer.

he has a kid, so that kids now 15 (omega mans great grandson) and he has to bang whatever non related cougars can bear children

So the first generation that MUST inbreed would be the great great grandchildren of the last man on earth. As long as they can steer clear of inbreeding with the Female portion and male portion of their blood line (which there should be enough children at this point where it isnt an issue) I dont think there would be any ill effects from inbreeding essentially, the great great grandchildren would only be 1/16th the genetic make up of the last man.

It would have to be monitored throughout the whole process though, At no point do you want earlier related generations boning and making babies. once the great great grandchildren are mature, the only people making babies should be great great grandchildren with other great great grandchildren, because any non related women would be too old to have children, and you dont want earlier generations making genetic frankensteins.

So by the time the great grandchildren females are incapable of producing offspring (which ideally, no female offspring of the omega man should have concieved, until the great great grandchildren) there should be a healthy diverse population.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Here

Actually, now that you describe it, it does sound familiar to me. My buddy had mentioned it, but none of the rumors about being made into a TV show. Hope it makes the cut.