Theo Epstein on Decisions and more Manager Information

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The decision is coming in a few days on whether Dale Sveum will be back next season. Theo Epstein officially made that clear today by saying decisions will be made on Monday regarding the coaching staff. Epstein also made it clear that there will be news for us on Monday.

Epstein and Jed Hoyer are in St. Louis to finish up the evaluation process. Both of them will conduct one-on-one interviews with the players during the final weekend of the season. Epstein made it clear once again that his previous comments didn't mean anything. Referring to when he was asked about Sveum last week. Epstein also stated that changes will be made to the personnel department as well.

Epstein on decisions: "we owe to everyone involved to get it done quickly as soon as the season is over and move forward. We’ll finish this process on Monday."

If the big news on Monday is that Sveum has been let go, Joe Girardi will be in play. The Cubs have been informed by Girardi's camp that they will listen to the Cubs if they approach them and the Cubs surely will.

The chances of Sveum staying is at a 20%, according to a report that cited a source.

'The Decision' is looming!

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The chance of him staying percentage keeps going down every day. Now I see a report in the Sun-Times that Girardi has shown interest via back channels. Ausmus is a name supposedly considered. What about someone like Mike Maddux?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The chance of him staying percentage keeps going down every day. Now I see a report in the Sun-Times that Girardi has shown interest via back channels. Ausmus is a name supposedly considered. What about someone like Mike Maddux?

Mike Maddux is certainly on the Cubs radar. The question is if Texas doesn't make the playoffs and a deep run does Mike Maddux take over for a fired Ron Washington. Ausmus is an interesting candidate and while he annoyed me a ton as a player can imagine him being a good manager.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I don't see Ron Washington leaving and same goes with Mike Maddux. There's no point to go with another rookie manager. That's why I can't see Ausmus coming.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Joe is the first choice. If Mike leaves the Angel's then I would kick the tires on that one and if it felt like a match. You have to feel that they with keep or fire based off of Rizzo and Castro. If they feel that they are bringing up Baez and Bryant to Dale and Dale already screwed up Rizzo and Castro then he is gone. Now wins losses. Game time decisions are lesser concern. Winning was not the goal. Getting the youth addapting to major league play is. So that is what the decision is based off of. Toss the win/loss out as it is not a factor. Rizzo and Castro's slump is. Now on the flip Wood, Maholm, Feldman, Sori, Schierholtz all had improved production so it is a mixed bag but those were established players. So I'm leaning 80% out the door with Baez incoming next year. They can't afford the fuck up here.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I don't see Ron Washington leaving and same goes with Mike Maddux. There's no point to go with another rookie manager. That's why I can't see Ausmus coming.

Ron Washington very well could be fired if Texas misses the playoffs or is out after a game. If that happens then Mike Maddux probably takes over. If Washington stays then maybe Maddux would.consider leaving to take on a manager spot.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Ron Washington very well could be fired if Texas misses the playoffs or is out after a game. If that happens then Mike Maddux probably takes over. If Washington stays then maybe Maddux would.consider leaving to take on a manager spot.

Yeah I see what you mean and it could happen. But right now, I'm leaning towards no and didn't Nolan Ryan or the GM already say he's coming back? Maddux may look for a managerial job, but I can't see him getting one with the Cubs.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah, who wanted Pence now?

Yeah remember someone on here and I expected him at least in the $15-16 mil/year range which I knew the cubs weren't going to pay. I never saw Pence as a realistic option.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Some say if Washington is fired, Maddux may get promoted. But more often, when a manager gets canned, his coaches all go as well.

Contrary to one post in another of the 15 threads on this subject, Theo won't base his decision on what the media says about the team regressing. Do people honestly believe upper management reads the morning paper and bases their decisions on that?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Some say if Washington is fired, Maddux may get promoted. But more often, when a manager gets canned, his coaches all go as well.

Contrary to one post in another of the 15 threads on this subject, Theo won't base his decision on what the media says about the team regressing. Do people honestly believe upper management reads the morning paper and bases their decisions on that?

They read of of the shit, but there's no way they base their decisions off of it. The FO sees behind the scenes and goes from there.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah, but I think that's too much money. The Pence contract just made Choo not a candidate for the Cubs and of course, Ellsbury as well.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
the only way sveum gets fired monday is if they have a better veteran replacement already in mind..
their not going to go thru another process of interviewing managers and basically come out with another dale sveum..

if sveum is fired , i have to think joe girardi will be the next manager..

would of been interesting if ryno was still available, funny how the phils tied him up to 3 yrs when word got out that sveum was on hot seat..

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be very surprised if the Cubs don't get Girardi. The Cubs are his preference and Girardi is the Cubs preference. It seems like it's in the last stage trying to get a contract together.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be very surprised if the Cubs don't get Girardi. The Cubs are his preference and Girardi is the Cubs preference. It seems like it's in the last stage trying to get a contract together.

I don't think we know either of those things to be true at this point. There is a lot of maneuvering going on right now and I think a grain of salt is needed with all of those "reports" of interests between the parties involved. I wouldn't be shocked if Girardi ended up in Chicago, but I wouldn't be putting money on it at this point.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think we know either of those things to be true at this point. There is a lot of maneuvering going on right now and I think a grain of salt is needed with all of those "reports" of interests between the parties involved. I wouldn't be shocked if Girardi ended up in Chicago, but I wouldn't be putting money on it at this point.

I wouldn't put money on Girardi yet until when and if Sveum is indeed fired. If Sveum does get the ax, I would think about putting money on it.