Theo Epstein resigns from Cubs

gopher72

Liked Posts:
yep, yet I’m sure there will be some on here that celebrate his departure. Guess they forgot what it was like being a cubs fan pre Theo. spoiled we have become!
Ya seems to ring true. They did a piece on non tender cases.

Kris Bryant, Cubs ($18.6MM)
Kyle Schwarber, Cubs ($7.9MM)
Albert Almora, Cubs ($1.575MM)
Jose Martinez, Cubs ($2.1MM)
Colin Rea, Cubs ($1.0MM)
Dan Winkler, Cubs ($900K)
Kyle Ryan, Cubs ($1.2MM)

Maybe the writing was on the wall and a major cut was in the works and Theo didn't want to be the guy taking the heat.
Agreed. Theo plays for keeps. IMHO His reason for living is finding an owner who is willing to spend what's necessary to turn a loser into a winner. Thank goodness he found it in Chicago. MLB is an arms race and Rickett's clearly doesn't want to spend the money to buy another title. I can live with that. One champion in my lifetime is one more than the previous generation can claim.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Epstein could go across town and create a White Sox dynasty and he'd still never have to pay for a drink on the north side for the rest of his life. I think both he and Maddon get props for leaving when it was time instead of hanging on hopelessly trying to make an expired formula work again.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Theo plays for keeps. IMHO His reason for living is finding an owner who is willing to spend what's necessary to turn a loser into a winner. Thank goodness he found it in Chicago. MLB is an arms race and Rickett's clearly doesn't want to spend the money to buy another title. I can live with that. One champion in my lifetime is one more than the previous generation can claim.
Such a bad narrative people have created with Ricketts. He spent as much as anyone when it was leading to winning. Over the last several years of not spending, he has been top 3 in spending and significantly over the luxury tax. If he felt a move would lead to a world series, he would probably still make it, but he isn't going to spend money when he isn't getting a return on investment just to appease the fans. He will spend big again when the time comes.

On the other hand for Epstein it made sense to move on.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I totally missed this news yesterday