Theory: Pace sucks at drafting franchise QBs out of college because he literally has no experience

Southside

Liked Posts:
Just my theory of why Pace cant identify quarerback talent on the college level.

Pace worked as a scout in New Orleans, the Saints ALWAYS had their starting QB position solidified during Pace's tenure. Pace joined the Saints in 2001 AFTER Aaron Brooks was already there and the Packers traded Brooks to the Saints so Pace had nothing to do with scouting or drafting Brooks. Aaron Brooks was the starter for 5/6 seasons until NO got Brees from the Chargers in 2006. Drew Brees was already in the league so he was not a college prospect at the time so Pace and the Saints didnt scout Brees from college. In fact, both Aaron Brooks and Brees came to the Saints from another team.

So in all of the time that Pace was in New Orleans, they only had 2 starting QBs and the Saints didnt draft either of them. Pace had nothing to do with scouting or drafting Brooks or Brees from college. Pace never truly ever had to scout the college ranks for a legit franchise starting QB. The Saints drafted only a handful of QBs throughout the 2000s but they were late round picks that were drafted just for depth. The only QB New Orleans has actually drafted in 20 years that has made any impact is Taysom Hill who got drafted after Pace was gone.

Either way, this is who the McCaskeys hired and who we have to trust going forward to find a franchise QB. Yikes!! This is depressing. He was in-over-his-head when he took Trubisky in 2017 and only got the job here in Chicago because of his connection with Brees, Sean Payton, and the Saints which is funny since Brees wasnt even drafted by the Saints.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He had a hand in bringing in Brees who had not yet shown to be the player he is now. That said, many GMs may not be QB experts and rely on those around them to help. That was his biggest issue in the 17 draft, both ignoring some of his staff and not having one that he could trust on QBs. Seemed everyone but Fox and Ragone (Watson) wanted Mitch but those guys count and should of at least prevented the trade up. In the end, they all got it wrong but Pace needs to own making the most wrong choice and paying extra to do so.

Don't know who Lazor or DeFilippo liked in 2017 but we know Nagy loved Mahomes. DeFillipo may not have been the best OC but he's done really well as QB coach while on those staffs so development should also be a plus.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just my theory of why Pace cant identify quarerback talent on the college level.

Pace worked as a scout in New Orleans, the Saints ALWAYS had their starting QB position solidified during Pace's tenure. Pace joined the Saints in 2001 AFTER Aaron Brooks was already there and the Packers traded Brooks to the Saints so Pace had nothing to do with scouting or drafting Brooks. Aaron Brooks was the starter for 5/6 seasons until NO got Brees from the Chargers in 2006. Drew Brees was already in the league so he was not a college prospect at the time so Pace and the Saints didnt scout Brees from college. In fact, both Aaron Brooks and Brees came to the Saints from another team.

So in all of the time that Pace was in New Orleans, they only had 2 starting QBs and the Saints didnt draft either of them. Pace had nothing to do with scouting or drafting Brooks or Brees from college. Pace never truly ever had to scout the college ranks for a legit franchise starting QB. The Saints drafted only a handful of QBs throughout the 2000s but they were late round picks that were drafted just for depth. The only QB New Orleans has actually drafted in 20 years that has made any impact is Taysom Hill who got drafted after Pace was gone.

Either way, this is who the McCaskeys hired and who we have to trust going forward to find a franchise QB. Yikes!! This is depressing. He was in-over-his-head when he took Trubisky in 2017 and only got the job here in Chicago because of his connection with Brees, Sean Payton, and the Saints which is funny since Brees wasnt even drafted by the Saints.
Interesting theory you have there. Problem is, this theory was revealed to us a month ago by a couple local beat writers and discussed on this forum already. You would have been best served to let a little more time pass before you tried to take credit for it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I was Pace, my solution would be to hire a staff of people - I would call them Scouts - so I didn't have evaluate all the college players myself.

Question: would you ignore all of them who did not agree with you?

#conviction

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
It’s not just Trubisky. He expected Glennon to be serviceable he wasn’t. He expected Foles to be serviceable he wasn’t.

Honestly in 7 years their best QB decision was Chase Daniel as a backup.

gocbears

Liked Posts:
Question: would you ignore all of them who did not agree with you?

#conviction

Me, no. Self awareness tells me I'm not the smartest guy in the room on some (or even a lot of) areas I am familiar with. If you fixate on the tree, you can't see the forest. If all you can see is the forest, you can't find the tree in front of you. On either side of a good course of action there is a very steep drop to either blinders on & too many cooks in the kitchen.

Perhaps Pace, now with an organization that at least publicly espouses collaboration, would be forced to? Conspiracy theory alert - Owners kept Pace for more collaborative drafts, and Nagy less collaboration on Offense (owners put the moron in oxymoron)

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
It’s not just Trubisky. He expected Glennon to be serviceable he wasn’t. He expected Foles to be serviceable he wasn’t.

Don't forget Mark "Butt fumble" Sanchez

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Those guys were more HC and OC choices than GM picks. Or do you think Pace forced those QBs on his coaches?

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was a really big miss.
It's really easy to say when hindsight is 20 20. Let's not pretend he wasn't high on a lot of draft boards.

It was a big miss for sure but my point is still valid. It was 1 miss.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
It's really easy to say when hindsight is 20 20. Let's not pretend he wasn't high on a lot of draft boards.

It was a big miss for sure but my point is still valid. It was 1 miss.
Agreed. The miss sucks, but there were a lot of “experts” that missed as well. The unforgivable offense was not even sitting down with Watson. That should’ve gotten him the axe.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed. The miss sucks, but there were a lot of “experts” that missed as well. The unforgivable offense was not even sitting down with Watson. That should’ve gotten him the axe.
I agree he should have sat down with Watson but I doubt it would have stopped him from drafting Mitch.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
M
He picked 1 QB out of college lol. People talk like hes had 5 picks and missed in them all.

My concern is he picks players and then let's them walk, although they are playing well and showing upside or productivity. Also the fact that he has fucked up in the 1st round a ton and set this franchise back for years to come.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He picked 1 QB out of college lol. People talk like hes had 5 picks and missed in them all.
Bigger issue in itself. Why are you not taking a swing in every draft?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Pace sucks at drafting quarterbacks

yeppers. Pace will go free agency route or aggressive trade. Earlier he gets it done the better so that watson can get plenty of time to acclimatize to his new home, playbook and teammates.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

This and the fact that he gave up a boat load of picks to move up 1 fucking spot to get a career NFL back-up QB.