This was inevitable

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I know this isn’t a place to appeal to people for understanding but I’ll try.

this situation was inevitable. Yes the failure on one side of the ball was absolutely guaranteed for Ryan Pace, Matt Nagy and the Chicago Bears, I am in no way absolving blame. They are responsible for personnel and development of it. However unless Pace hit a homer in at every level of the draft every year something going to get exposed.

“He never drafted O line”.

Had he we might be saying . “Opposing QBs have all day! Where’s the pass rush!?” Because Mack isn’t here!

Or

“this secondary makes me wanna rip my eyes out”

Or

“these WRs can’t stretch the field”

Or

“teams just run over us all day”

no matter where you look given the stock of players Pace came in with one of these scenarios was inevitable. Not only were we the last destination on earth teams wanted to come to but we were historically bad at drafting for over a decade before Paces arrival.

Head of Football operations actually put all these men in a 10% chance of successfully turning this team into a true contender. He is the biggest failure of all. He let Angelo ruin this organization for a decade after he missed for 5 straight seasons on draft picks.

The reality is, this was all a pipe dream anyways. And we got sold... again...

Last edited:

ImSure

Liked Posts:
Every once in a while it's just luck. Seattle had that dominant D and lucked out on an all world quarterback in the draft. Which meant he was making a rookie salary.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
To counter, Pace would have an extra:

* 2016 4th round pick
* 2016 6th round pick
* 2017 3rd round pick
* 2017 4th round pick
* 2017 6th round pick
* 2018 3rd round pick
* 2018 4th round pick
* 2019 5th round pick
* 2020 4th round pick

If he didn't have a bad habit of trading up to get "his guys" in every draft. I'm not including the 2 players he traded up for in the last draft because I think its too early to make a judgement on a player before hes even had a full season on the books. That's a lot of extra resources to throw at positions of need, and the players he traded up to get are:

* Floyd - Declined his 5th year option, hes a good player for the Rams but given his production and letting him leave for nothing this is a bust for the Bears
* Trubisky - Declined his 5th year option, wont be on team next year, ignoring the WHY behind it its safe to say this is a bust for the Bears
* Kwiatkowski - Very good player for the Raiders, Bears let him leave for nothing after 1 good year with the team, this is a bust for the Bears
* Jackson - fantastic pick, this is an AP level player locked up for the Bears
* Miller - hes been decent, flashes potential but inconsistent route running and hands. He's the 3rd best WR on the team right now behind Robinson and Mooney. Not sure yet if Bears will retain him when his rookie contract is up.
* Montgomery - hes been a decent player, albeit hampered by a historically bad line. However decent RBs aren't exactly tough to find in the NFL
* Shelley - Not doing anything for the team, maybe he will play a big role going forward.

So in my opinion, Pace's frivolous spending of future draft resources for 1 hit out of 5-7 swings has been a big part of why the team is in a resource crunch to begin with.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Every once in a while it's just luck. Seattle had that dominant D and lucked out on an all world quarterback in the draft. Which meant he was making a rookie salary.
Wilson was a great pick I read somewhere the bears were going go Wilson in that draft. 2012 one of the worst drafts ever by a bears GM. Just a pile of shit that one was.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If we were saying our QB sucks because he can't keep up with the other team's offense with all the tools instead of saying we need to slow down the other team's offense and not give our QB the tools to not suck I could've lived with that much easier.

Inevitable, sure. But that it's always the same damn thing, build a defense, ignore offense, blame the offense because the defense can't stop the other team's offense is getting beyond old.

The line we were sold was that we would get an offensive juggernaut. How were you planning on doing that when you spent EVERY 1st round pick on defense the year after you drafted a QB without an offense (or a HC), Pace?

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
Nagy was hired because he was supposed to be an offensive guru. The GM then concentrates on building a top tier defense through the draft and trades. Just one more example of complete Bears dysfunction.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Nagy was hired because he was supposed to be an offensive guru. The GM then concentrates on building a top tier defense through the draft and trades. Just one more example of complete Bears dysfunction.

Both the GM and HC told us how they were offensive minded.
Whether Pace was right or wrong on Trubisky being worth drafting he sure did nothing for Trubisky's whole career with the Bears to help him show it.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Basically what you see is the result of missing on a #2 pick especially at the most important position in football. That’s a franchise killer and sets back the team a minimum of 5 years.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Basically what you see is the result of missing on a #2 pick especially at the most important position in football. That’s a franchise killer and sets back the team a minimum of 5 years.
You have to couple that with the Mack trade! That’s a trade that you make because you think you’re a contender and it’ll push you over the top

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They thought wrong on:

- Mitch & their ability to develop him
- OL and it's ability to maintain the slightly average but trending downward 2018 performance (paid to up Leno & Massie) boo
- Nagy's ability to succeed despite the above 2 limitations being far worse than expected. (also new 2020 coaches ability to make lemonade outta toilet water talent & effort on O)

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Nagy will have to take a few levels of demotion if he wants to stick around the league after this season. Who would want someone like this in the same building as your franchise QB, as an offensive coordinator or QB coach.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
he built the best defense in football.... that’s how long it takes. If it only took 3 years to top other teams who are already established that would make zero sense.

he also built one of the worst offenses in NFL history. Pace is 1 guy I am 100% sure will never work again as a GM in the NFL after he gets fired this year. I also don’t think he’s smart enough or well spoken enough to get a TV gig.. So basically he’s a dead man walking

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
he also built one of the worst offenses in NFL history. Pace is 1 guy I am 100% sure will never work again as a GM in the NFL after he gets fired this year

He didn’t build it at all. He didn’t build because he didn’t invest in it. He couldn’t really.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
he built the best defense in football.... that’s how long it takes. If it only took 3 years to top other teams who are already established that would make zero sense.
It takes only 6 years to build a shit team. Ok great

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

If they missed on Trubisky they knew it as soon as they got him, so why did they get him?

Glennon is our starter, we'll bring Mitch along slow. That'll work.
We'll have a HC who doesn't like rookie QBs forced between Glennon and a rookie. A HC they don't plan on sticking with.
The following year instead of oline or WRs or even a RB, our hope was a pass rusher. Then we traded the rest of the first round picks for that QB's contract to get another pass rusher.

It wasn't a miss on Mitch that set anyone back. It was idiotic GM decisions that got Mitch and gave him every opportunity to fail since.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I always felt like everything hinged on the QB pick. You nail that pick and you keep your job for the long haul. You get that pick wrong and everyone is shown the door. Pace could've messed up in a number of other areas but if he had gotten us that franchise QB, his job would've been secure. Unfortunately he messed up the one thing he couldn't afford to mess up.