Thoughts and Observations from Preseason Game 1

Bort

Liked Posts:
These were always my favorite threads back when Windy was here, so I figured I'd try to keep the tradition alive. I rewatched the game with a focus on the individual battles between players, especially with the linemen.

-Fields has definitely improved with his ability to go through progressions and willingness to check down if there's nothing there downfield. He also had a couple really accurate throws downfield that we all saw. But his pocket awareness is still a serious issue. There were a couple of times where he really needed to step up in the pocket and he didn't. While I like that he's showing improvement, he needs better command of the pocket if he's going to be a franchise quarterback. Also, they only ran boot action with him once in 3 possessions. I expect they'll do a lot more of that in the regular season if they expect to win any games. Also, he continues to inexplicably slide with his head up. I do not understand how with two different NFL coaching staffs, he has not been properly coached to slide with his head down to make it easier for both him and the defender to avoid contact. This is such a basic and obvious coaching point that it's just bizarre that he keeps doing it. Is he trying to draw a roughing penalty? Is 15 yards really worth a concussion?

-Siemien looked like a competent backup.

-Braxton Jones and Larry Borom both played well, both in pass protection and run blocking. It seems weird to say, but OT might actually be a strength for this team.

-Schofield was bad, and it wasn't just that one play where he got bull rushed right into Fields' lap for a sack. There were a couple times where I had to rewind and watch the play again to see who in the interior whiffed that badly on a block, and it was 64.

-Mustipher was also bad, just too weak at the point of attack, but I guess that's not a surprise.

-Whitehair looked fine. I guess we all know who he is by now, a pretty average starter.

-Teven Jenkins was out there mauling the Chief's second and third stringers. Yeah, he had the false start penalty, but he looked like a man among boys against the competition he faced.

-I thought the WRs as a unit played pretty well, especially considering the expectation that they'd be the worst WR group in the entire NFL. Guys were getting some separation and making some nice catches (although Dazz had a pretty bad drop in addition to the muffed punt).

-The TEs as a unit looked weak and slow and ineffective. They're going to need to get a lot out of Kmet this year.

-The RBs had a bad game. There were a couple plays where Herbert should have had 5 or 6 yards, but ended up with a minimal gain because he was too hesitant or cut back when he shouldn't have. He also had an inexcusable drop. Ebner looked really good against guys who are going to be working at Home Depot in a month, but when he was in against guys who are actually going to be on the Chief's 53 man roster, he got a TFL being chased down by a DT when he tried to bounce a run outside. He needs to be quicker and more decisive.

-The DEs had a great game as a unit. Gipson and Muhammad were consistently getting penetration and pressure. I actually thought the Chiefs were lucky to get a TD on the first drive because a couple of times, if the rush had landed home just a split second earlier, it would have been a drive killing sack instead of a first down completion. The rookie Dominique Robinson also had a nice debut.

-Tonga had a nice game. The rest of the DTs not so much (at least the ones who have a realistic shot of making the roster).

-The starting LBs all looked a step too slow against the Chiefs starters. LB would be a huge weakness if they don't have Roquan. Sanborn had a great game as a UDFA rookie against the Chief's third and fourth stringers. I want to see how he looks against guys who will actually make NFL rosters before I get too excited about him, though.

-The corners seemed to have pretty good coverage most of the game, and they were good in run support, too, although Lamar Jackson had that glaring missed tackle where he just threw his shoulder into the guy instead of wrapping up.

-JAQUAN MOTHERFUCKING BRISKER. That guy closes like a heat-seeking missile. I haven't seen a Bears rookie look that good in his first preseason in a long time. Also, if you rewatch the game and just try to follow Eddie Jackson, he played with more physicality in that preseason game than he has in any regular season game in the past 2 years. The safeties looked like studs.

-Special teams was very good all around. Nice to see the rookie punter having no jitters in his first professional game.

-Coaching is hard to critique in a preseason game. In a real game, they would have probably done a lot more rollouts and boot action with Fields. They were definitely playing with more physicality than we've seen under Nagy, and there weren't many penalties, so those are positive signs.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
These were always my favorite threads back when Windy was here, so I figured I'd try to keep the tradition alive. I rewatched the game with a focus on the individual battles between players, especially with the linemen.

-Fields has definitely improved with his ability to go through progressions and willingness to check down if there's nothing there downfield. He also had a couple really accurate throws downfield that we all saw. But his pocket awareness is still a serious issue. There were a couple of times where he really needed to step up in the pocket and he didn't. While I like that he's showing improvement, he needs better command of the pocket if he's going to be a franchise quarterback. Also, they only ran boot action with him once in 3 possessions. I expect they'll do a lot more of that in the regular season if they expect to win any games. Also, he continues to inexplicably slide with his head up. I do not understand how with two different NFL coaching staffs, he has not been properly coached to slide with his head down to make it easier for both him and the defender to avoid contact. This is such a basic and obvious coaching point that it's just bizarre that he keeps doing it. Is he trying to draw a roughing penalty? Is 15 yards really worth a concussion?

-Braxton Jones and Larry Borom both played well, both in pass protection and run blocking. It seems weird to say, but OT might actually be a strength for this team.

-Schofield was bad, and it wasn't just that one play where he got bull rushed right into Fields' lap for a sack. There were a couple times where I had to rewind and watch the play again to see who in the interior whiffed that badly on a block, and it was 64.

-Mustipher was also bad, just too weak at the point of attack, but I guess that's not a surprise.

-Whitehair looked fine. I guess we all know who he is by now, a pretty average starter.

-Teven Jenkins was out there mauling the Chief's second and third stringers. Yeah, he had the false start penalty, but he looked like a man among boys against the competition he faced.

-I thought the WRs as a unit played pretty well, especially considering the expectation that they'd be the worst WR group in the entire NFL. Guys were getting some separation and making some nice catches (although Dazz had a pretty bad drop in addition to the muffed punt).

-The TEs as a unit looked weak and slow and ineffective. They're going to need to get a lot out of Kmet this year.

-The RBs had a bad game. There were a couple plays where Herbert should have had 5 or 6 yards, but ended up with a minimal gain because he was too hesitant or cut back when he shouldn't have. He also had an inexcusable drop. Ebner looked really good against guys who are going to be working at Home Depot in a month, but when he was in against guys who are actually going to be on the Chief's 53 man roster, he got a TFL being chased down by a DT when he tried to bounce a run outside. He needs to be quicker and more decisive.

-The DEs had a great game as a unit. Gipson and Muhammad were consistently getting penetration and pressure. I actually thought the Chiefs were lucky to get a TD on the first drive because a couple of times, if the rush had landed home just a split second earlier, it would have been a drive killing sack instead of a first down completion. The rookie Dominique Robinson also had a nice debut.

-Tonga had a nice game. The rest of the DTs not so much (at least the ones who have a realistic shot of making the roster).

-The starting LBs all looked a step too slow against the Chiefs starters. LB would be a huge weakness if they don't have Roquan. Sanborn had a great game as a UDFA rookie against the Chief's third and fourth stringers. I want to see how he looks against guys who will actually make NFL rosters before I get too excited about him, though.

-The corners seemed to have pretty good coverage most of the game, and they were good in run support, too, although Lamar Jackson had that glaring missed tackle where he just threw his shoulder into the guy instead of wrapping up.

-JAQUAN MOTHERFUCKING BRISKER. That guy closes like a heat-seeking missile. I haven't seen a Bears rookie look that good in his first preseason in a long time. Also, if you rewatch the game and just try to follow Eddie Jackson, he played with more physicality in that preseason game than he has in any regular season game in the past 2 years. The safeties looked like studs.

-Special teams was very good all around. Nice to see the rookie punter having no jitters in his first professional game.

-Coaching is hard to critique in a preseason game. In a real game, they would have probably done a lot more rollouts and boot action with Fields. They were definitely playing with more physicality than we've seen under Nagy, and there weren't many penalties, so those are positive signs.
Thank you so much ? for being one of the few posters on here i can always click on a thread and find within the thread clicked on pure unadulterated football content and if you would like my opinion I humbily believe that you do this better than "whiny Windy City" hahaha also so does @Adipost as well thank you both and also @Aesopian who always brings good braking news content too!

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I have to agree with your assessment of Herbert. I wouldn’t be surprised if he just got passed.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
A couple notes, bears were missing top 3 TEs, so it makes sense that group was meh.

You mentioned DTs who have a chance weren't good. I think that Dew-Treadway (name?) actually might be a rotational guy and he was very good against back ups I thought. He's been getting a lot of run in camp from what I've heard

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:

Nice thread OP! Always nice to read these.

Windy isn't on the site any more?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Great write up. I’d just add, super bowl….

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m guessing schofeild hasn’t played too much with a potato sack of shit at center and a rookie on his right.

He’s supposed to be the weak link not the gel.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
4.4 Ebner getting caught from behind by a DT was sad. I don't care if that DT is athletic enough to do a backflip.

Fields only looks comfortable in the pocket when he knows where he's going with the football. Even under pressure. When he doesn't, he gets happy feet even when the pocket still exists. Something I hope he corrects as the season progresses.

If game one of the preseason is any indicator... This team is going to be fun to watch again on defense. Purely because they swarm to the ball. It's been a while since I've seen our D do that. There will definitely be an uptick in turnovers... (and inadvertent injuries from running into each other)

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I herd on a podcast that Gill is extremely adapt and holding for FGs. That he's so aware of the laces that he's already spinning it on the way down to the turf and is very aware of angles etc.

Last edited:

Bort

Liked Posts:
A couple notes, bears were missing top 3 TEs, so it makes sense that group was meh.

You mentioned DTs who have a chance weren't good. I think that Dew-Treadway (name?) actually might be a rotational guy and he was very good against back ups I thought. He's been getting a lot of run in camp from what I've heard
Yeah, I probably should have mentioned Dew-Treadway. It’s such an uphill battle for a UDFA rookie to climb his way onto the roster, but he definitely helped himself. I would normally say he’s probably going to be a practice squad player, but given how weak the roster is at DT, maybe he does find a way into the rotation.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
4.4 Ebner getting caught from behind by a DT was sad. I don't care if that DT is athletic enough to do a backflip.

Fields only looks comfortable in the pocket when he knows where he's going with the football. Even under pressure. When he doesn't, he gets happy feet even when the pocket still exists. Something I hope he corrects as the season progresses.

If game one of the preseason is any indicator... This team is going to be fun to watch again on defense. Purely because they swarm to the ball. It's been a while since I've seen our D do that. There will definitely be an uptick in turnovers... (and inadvertent injuries from running into each other)
I agree, defense turns my crank. The defense in the second half was really fun. Special teams were fun, too. Last year it got really annoying all the kickoffs returned to the 40 yard line by the other team.