Thoughts and Observations Week 1

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Some Thoughts

-Matt Nagy was horrendous last night. He got way too cute, did not run the ball, called stupid plays in key situations, and failed to really effectively get the offense in any type of rythem. Super disappointing for the coach of the year to have this performance on the national stage in that environment.

-Mitch Trubisky sucked. He looked as lost as he did at time last season. Staring down 12, over throws and poor mechanics, horrendous decisions, and generally looking incompetent. For 9 months we heard about the progression and the jump. Going to 202, liking where he is at, the growth in the playbook, then the lights came on and he looked like garbage. Whether you think he will bounce back or not I understand both side, but I think it is pretty clear that he is not going to be the top 10 QB that we had hoped for when he was the 2nd pick in the draft. A month ago we were talking about MVP odds and 1 week ago we were talking about extensions.

-Mike Davis looks like a nice solid player. He should not be featured more than David Montgomery.

-David Montgomery touched the ball and really good things happened. Then David Montgomery did not touch the ball anymore. Inexcusable mismanagement of personnel and the running game. This is a trend for Nagy.

-Tarik Cohen 0 carries. The most dangerous part of his game is that you do not know what position he is going to play, but Nagy made him only a receiver and refused to run against 6 DBs. Again, egregious mismanagement of personnel and the running game.

-Allen Robinson is a stud, throw the ball deep to him more and stop being scared.

-Anthony Miller 1 target, not good enough, and shockingly it was overthrown.

-Taylor Gabriel needs to to be involved earlier if you want to keep Robinson from getting double teamed.

-Guy gets new toy, guy over used new toy, new toy does nothing productive, the Cordarelle Patterson story.

-Shaheen, still useless.

-Leno had a rough night with the penalties, for the most part I thought his pass pro was okay outside of the crippling penalties.

-Whitehair had some moments where he looked lost at OG, maybe some preseason reps at the new position would not have hurt. Missing on stunts cannot happen.

-Daniels was bad. Kenny Clark is a good player, but he took Daniels lunch money over and over again.

-I will comment on the right side when I re-watch the game. I was watching the leftside more.

-Khalil Mack is held a ton and still influences the game to a degree that I have not seen an individual player do in my time watching the Bears. Many of the Bears sacks start with a Mack disruption.

-This version of Leonard Floyd is terrifying. He was fast, physical, used his length, and consistently walked back the OTs. I did not see the speed and then dancing we have seen in the past. His bull rush sack on Bakitiahri had me out of my seat.

-Aaron Lynch is fat, but he had a couple of nice rushes and run plays.

-Isaiah Irving is simply holding a jersey up. He is defensively useless.

-Eddie Goldman, grown man. Bilal Nichols, grown man. Akiem Hicks, grown man.

-RRH is a guy I have been high on and wanted to try and extend while we have his ERFA rights. He is too long, strong and quick for many interior players to deal with. His first sack where he long arm bull rushed Lindsley to the ground, drew a holding call and still sacked Rodgers was as disrespectful a pass rush as you will ever see. Consistently overwhelmed the Packers interior. 6'7" is a unique height inside and OGs don't have the length to deal with it.

-Roquan is a monster. His ability to come through the line clean and make the TFL was impressive.

-Trevathan is a nice compliment to Roquan because he can stand up and OG and do some of the physical dirty work that will keep Roquan clean.

-Kyle Fuller plays a little too far off in my world, but he is so good coming hard at the ball or making the tackle. I thought he played really well and the catches he gave up looked like they were mostly in front of him in zone.

-Did not see as much of Eddie Jackson as I would have liked, but I need to go back and watch more of the secondary.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Most glaring difference between the teams (other than QB) to my untrained eye: WR separation. Our crew has good hands, but are seemingly always being shadowed closely. Pack WRs were able to exploit the D scheme and find large gaps.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Nagy’s game plan from the get go was so bad. If he keeps trotting our backup players in Patterson and Davis, then the offense will continue to struggle mightily. Patterson should not see the field unless it is a gimmick play. What an embarrassment performance as the fans filled up the stadium a lot earlier than I thought, considering it was a Thurs night game. The fans were super loud, loud as ever the first half then completely were out of the game the 2nd half, due to the offense struggles. Must win next week to get this team back on a roll. Keep Montgomery in the game all 3 downs and use Wims and Miller more. Wims was consistently getting open.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Yeah Eddie Jackson was surprising quiet, not sure if that was good or bad considering Rodgers didn’t have a great day passing.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Was it me or was a lot of the pre-snap motion from last year gone? It seemed like the scripted 15 plays of so always had a ton of pre-snap motion...

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
Aaron Lynch did put on alot of weight....I noticed in the last preseason game.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Yeah Eddie Jackson was surprising quiet, not sure if that was good or bad considering Rodgers didn’t have a great day passing.
H
Jackson made some great plays against the run. The entire defense was spectacular last night, including Jackson. The offense masters up points and the defense probably ends up with an 8 to 10 sack performance. Given how bad the offense looked, it is amazing that the Bears defense was able to keep up the performance all night.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Patterson should not see the field unless it is a gimmick play.

Bingo. That's exactly what he is. An overpaid but very good KR and a gadget guy. He's Hester. He's notoriously bad at running routes and learning the O. Should not be on the field on offense much.

Funny to see all the fans on Twitter saying "Cut Burton! He's a pussy." Not sure if he's a pussy or if the anxiety truly affects him on the field, but cutting him is f'ing ridiculous. A) He's owed too much money. Can't cut him. B) Without him, we don't have a pass-catching TE. You'd better hope he's healthy and can play.

Braunecker is just a guy. Good special teams guy. Fine as a blocker. No offensive weapon. Like someone (Toast? bears 26?) wrote a week ago...your eyes haven't failed you. Shaheen sucks. He's looked like a bust b/c he is a bust. Can't get tackled without limping off. I was laughing last night when, after a catch or something, he motioned to come out of the game. He was a bad pick. He's never impressed b/c he's not impressive. It's not like he's flashed on the screen but has just had trouble staying healthy. He sucks. He's Kevin White. He's Shea McClellin. I expect him to be cut in TC next year like Bullard was this year.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I know that Fuller likes to play off, but if he had moved up at the last second on a few of those plays, he might not have dropped the ball, he might've been pick-sixing them instead of knocking them to the ground.

smilebit

Liked Posts:
I thought the offensive line was really bad in pass pro, there were to many times where guys were unblocked and getting through the line as soon as the ball was snapped.

I'm losing faith in Mitch, when it comes to qb's I have tempered my expectations after Cutler but Mitch looks worse than he did in his first start.

Shaheen is not baby Gronk, just an over grown baby.

Montgomery was under used and run DMC was missing the MC.

I thought we brought Patterson in to receive kicks and punts.

I really hope this season doesn't waste another year with a prolific defense. If it does, this organization doesn't deserve anymore great defenses. Very sad that those guys no matter what era ball out so hard only to be stifled by a lackluster offense.

Had a Packer friend text me that he finally had a defense, I replied back that it wasn't the case and that I have Trubisky and he laughed saying same old same old huh.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did not see as much of Eddie Jackson as I would have liked, but I need to go back and watch more of the secondary

There seemed to be a safety rotation going on and I am dying to know who was on the field for that 47 yard bomb that got the Pack out of the hole early 2Q

Someone blew that one big time, but no idea who.

(Hoping @Adipost has some pretty pics for me this weekend)

4nobject

Liked Posts:
That was,by far ,the worst offence I seen easy in the last 20 years. Worried about Mitch being a CAN,looks terrified out there. And I'm not seeing him being the guy to do anything .love the bears. But I don't think I can watch another minute,this bs has been going on since 1990 or before,. It sucks waiting a year to see that crappy O Ruin A great game by the defence,what's new? I'll tell u,. Bears are going nowhere with Mitch. And it will be a few years before he's gone. No end it sight. Another whole year in the dumps. ,Fuc###g hate being a bear fan

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
P
There seemed to be a safety rotation going on and I am dying to know who was on the field for that 47 yard bomb that got the Pack out of the hole early 2Q

Someone blew that one big time, but no idea who.

(Hoping @Adipost has some pretty pics for me this weekend)
Probably Bush. That play action rollout is so successful for Rodgers and the Packers. I clench up when they run that.

4nobject

Liked Posts:
Was it me or was a lot of the pre-snap motion from last year gone? It seemed like the scripted 15 plays of so always had a ton of pre-snap motion...
They tried on the first play,fumbled. And that was it,. Dumb play calling and the O was horrible,bring back Peter Tom Willis Mitch sucks. Named my dog after him and I'm regretting it already. Gonna be a long crappy season

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They tried on the first play,fumbled. And that was it,. Dumb play calling and the O was horrible,bring back Peter Tom Willis Mitch sucks. Named my dog after him and I'm regretting it already. Gonna be a long crappy season
Funny

greg23

Liked Posts:
My Grades:

Nagy F (still way too cute with the gimmicks)
Mitch D+ (only reason not worse is the oline was awful and wr were generally not open despite missing a few high and wide)
OLine D- (really a bad game from the interior)
RB Inc (we obsessed over the 4th rb; when rb's 1-3 get 12 carries per game)
WR C (hopefully miller is active next week (what?), arob is good, patterson is worthless as predicted and fielded 3 kick returns for touchbacks.........bet he doesnt even get 25 returns this year)

Defense B+ (turnover puts into A range, gave up long FG drive when backed up inside 5 late in 4th Q)

Special Teams A (much better punt coverage, and we made our only kick)

Season Outlook (9-10 wins seem to be the ceiling)