Thoughts and Observations: Week 5 [Raiders]

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Offense

-Charles Leno has been horrendous this season. Yesterday he had 3 penalties and a sack given up, which puts him by my count at 4 sacks on the season and 8 penalties, leads the NFL, and is on pace for an incredible 13 sacks given up and 26 accepted penalties. They have no one to go to, but they need to find a way to light a fire under him for the rest of the season and then cut him in the offseason.

-Kyle Long is done. 100% totally done. Get him on the bench and do not let nostalgia ruin a season. He should have been done after Washington.

-Trey Burton looks like a grandfather on the field. He has no speed, no power, and does not even give a blocking effort on the field. I am not sure what the deal is with him and the groin, but he looks like a shadow of what he was last season.

-Allen Robinson is awesome. Extend him.

-Anthony Miller finally getting something going and then pretty much ruins it all by being, guess what, an IDIOT.

Taunting 15 yards
Offside on the kickoff 5 yards
Terrible effort on the tackle, 50 yard return

-Adam Shaheen again pretty much non-existent.

-I am not even sure what to make of David Montgomery, it is pretty hard to assess when he never has single crease to run through and is getting hit in the backfield by multiple Raiders. The run game is pathetic and it is time to start pointing the finger at Nagy, Heistand, and this pathetically soft OL.

-Tarik Cohen finally having a really productive game on specials and catching the ball, again I am not offering any assessment of the RB spot in the run game.

-Chase Daniel sucks. He makes a few throws, but he is so damn limited and all 3 of his picks were HORRENDOUS decisions or throws directly to defenders.

-It would be nice if Harry Hiestand stopped cashing checks based on reputation and started to fix the OL. This group is the single biggest disappointment of the season and their play as a group has been nothing short of pathetic.

-Matt Nagy got outcoached, his team was not prepared to play. The Bears got pushed around and physically dominated and that comes back to their coach and preparation as we have seen this defense at least physically control a game.

Defense

-I do not think I have ever seen this defense get physically destroyed off the ball like they did against the Raiders. Miami last season they were gassed and got beat in the passing game. This game they were physically moved off the ball over and over again. OLmen were into the 2nd level with little resistance. It was a pathetic effort that we probably need to forgive because of how good they are normally.

-The Khalil Mack revenge game [insert sad trombone music]. He was non-existent and totally neutralized the entire game.

-Leonard disappointingly has gone back into stealth mode.

-When Akiem Hicks got injured the Raiders really started to bully the Bears. The real regression for the Bears this season has been in health and missing key guys.

-I thought Trevathan was solid.

-Roquan looked lost with all of Raiders on the 2nd level he was getting pin balled around a lot. I hope that he gets his head right over the bye week and can start making some impact plays.

-A game like that might be when you bring Kwik off the bench. That game was made for him.

-Kyle Fuller missing tackles against guys like Hunter Renfrow is when you know that you are not suppose to win the game.

-Eddie Goldman getting cut blocked the entire game was a very good backside plan on their zone run plays.

-RRH and Nick Williams struggled to maintain the level of play that they had against the Vikings. The Bears DL depth is getting seriously tested and I guess with backups we need to expect some struggles like that.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Totally different game with Hicks and Nichols. Even RRH and Williams were banged up all game.

Miller is heading to bust for me. He had a couple nice catches, but is a risk of a personal foul penalty every play. He still runs lazy routes and too many times tries to 1 hand catch. I’m not sure if it is still the injury, but looks lazy to me.

Last edited:

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Great write up as always.

I still think Nagy is a good coach. He did too well last year not to have talent.

Having 2 huge leaks on the Oline is too much for any play caller. To many plays are over before they start.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It looks like your mock off seasons going to have to focus on keeping the defense together and a total redo on offense lol

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If this is going to be the serious thread, I will put my thoughts here.

The Bears were outcoached from the moment travel plans were made. Gruden made it clear why he flew to London a week in advance, and was right. The Bears have totally shut down the opponents offense in every game, especially the run. Made the Viking run game non-existent, and that was without Hicks and Smith. Bears were manhandled the entire game, the opposite of the other 4 games. Totally slow, weak and non-energetic. No explanation even possible except the travel plans. Plus with the bye week, all the time to rest for the trip home, horrible planning and it showed.

I am 100% sure that the offensive line and play calling is 100% of the problem on offense. I was amazed that nothing was done on the offseason at all with the offensive line. Well we are here. Funny looking at the Chiefs offensive stats during the 4th quarter yesterday, they had thrown the ball 51 times and ran 6 times, sound familiar? And the Colts were running for fun on them the whole game and controlling the clock. If you cannot run the ball at all, don't even bother coming. THAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE OFFENSE. This team has the worst running game that I have ever seen from a Bears team and as bad as any I have ever seen in the NFL. The opponents are not stacking the box, the run game just outright sucks.

Our coach needs to get off the high horse and change his ways, sit Kyle Long down, and change the scheme. This team can and will win with Trubisky, he is being hurt by this nonsense not helped. This team cannot win with Daniel, not if the opponent has a week to scheme for a totally immobile QB. His 3 interceptions yesterday were atrocious, and I do say 3, the one in the middle was a gift roughing call. The Bears got every break yesterday and still lost.

Bears either need Nagy to change the scheme, change the Offensive line, and or possibly hire an Offensive Coordinator.

I think change will be made, and I am confident that the defense will totally manhandle the Saints.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Emperor has no clothes. Nagy rode a great defense to a good record last year but is being exposed. Mitch seems to have regressed, his chosen backup QB sucks, he is clueless in the run game and he has overseen a truly embarrassing OL. Why they chose to keep the corpse of Kyle Long around is beyond me.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Couple of moves that need to happen with an eye toward 2020 since this season is slowly but surely circling the drain.

1. Mitch need's to return ASAP: Both QB's probably suck but all doubt needs to be removed in Mitch's case. Here's to a speedy return.

2. Coward replacing Long: The Bears need to see what they have in Coward heading into the 2020. Long no longer factors into 2020.

3. Switch Daniels and Whitehair: The Bears are committed to both guys long term so switch them back to their old positions. If I had to guess the mental aspects of playing center are affecting Daniels performance. This never seems to be the case for Whitehair.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I was thinking maybe let coward try out at lt and bring bars to play guard. Missing blocks is one thing but Leno has been a penalty machine this year

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
How many times did Nagy try to run Cohen between the tackles? Lol.

Playcalling and Oline. Week 1 through week 5. Those 2 are consistently bad, and I'm not sure I see them getting better this year. We need to 100% bench Kyle Long. He is done.

I mean, fuck Trubisky lol! Just get rid of him and we win all the Super Bowls! Am I right???

darkvirage

Liked Posts:
The offensive line has been offensive this year. More than anything, that is what is holding the offense back I think. You have holding penalties being called on plays, and the back is still getting tackled for negative yardage. Pathetic. With the QB situation, they have to have a solid running game. When most of their passes are short, quick throws and they can't run the ball, it's so easy to just sit in that 5-7 yard mark and just gang tackle all game long.

And, yes, the travel plan obviously was a factor...there can be no denying it, especially the way the defense looked right from the start of the game.

The bye week seems to have come at a favorable time. They're still 3-2, and now they have time to do some re-tooling and figure things out. Get the O-line and the running game going, and watch everything else fall into place.

bionicbelly

Liked Posts:
The Bears run game is just embarrassing. Watching the colts last night made it hurt worse.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Does anyone have a clip of the Miller taunting penalty?

I'm looking at the replay and I see Miller running up to congratulate ARob, but I'm not sure why he got called...I just see him jumping up and down flexing. (probably running his mouth) Is that a foul?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The OL need a complete investment.

Bring in a couple of highly drafted guys. Cut Leno and Long and then let it shake out. Not much to be done this season besides bench Long and hope Leno stops sucking.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Defense

-I do not think I have ever seen this defense get physically destroyed off the ball like they did against the Raiders. Miami last season they were gassed and got beat in the passing game. This game they were physically moved off the ball over and over again. OLmen were into the 2nd level with little resistance. It was a pathetic effort that we probably need to forgive because of how good they are normally.

It looked like a different team out there in the first half, before you could even use the "offense hasn't moved the ball past their own 35 since the first drive and D is gassed" excuse. The 35 yard line thing I believe is correct, though.
At beginning of the season I would have told you preseason is meaningless, but then thing the "pro-preseason" people warned about happened (team rusty and not on same page). Similar to that, as someone who travels to Asia multiple times a year, I would have guessed that just going to London on Friday would have no impact on the team. But then, the thing "get there early!!!" people warned about happened.. team came out weak, sluggish, and slow. Maybe this was a learning experience for Nagy in terms of "don't just roll in to international games at the last fucking second." I don't know.

OL is a disaster, Bobby Massie may be having an "meh, alright" season, and that's maybe the only positive thing you can really say about the entire unit.

TE - sucks that the Bears look to have whiffed on not only Burton, but also Shaheen. So many resources devoted to this position to still not have a good answer, leading to an extremely crucial drop from Holtz in the 4th... a guy who joined the team like 15 days ago.

QB - Still no good long-term answer here, but as expected the carriage has turned into a pumpkin at midnight, and Daniels is proven once again to not be a competent backup.

Stupid penalties - This is the biggest knock I have on Nagy right now - so many stupid fucking penalties from LACK OF DISCIPLINE. Holding or PI is a technique/ref interpretation thing, but so many taunting/unsportsmanlike conduct/and yes running into the kicker penalties are from lack of discipline and you blame on coaching. It seems like theres always one a game, it was Jackson last game it was Miller this game. when that happens you have to fucking crucify the player, make an example of them to the team so that next game people keep their fucking mouths shut in fear of having their asses ripped open. Notice how the PAtriots don't have stupid penalties like that? Belichick would skullfuck someone on the field if they pulled this dumb shit.

Silver lining is - the team came back with a shitty backup QB, and were really a stupid ass running into kicker penalty away from winning it. It's too bad the team found a way to snatch "defeat from the jaws of victory from the jaws of defeat" here. Unfortunately, Bears just finished the easy part of their schedule.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anthony Miller finally getting something going and then pretty much ruins it all by being, guess what, an IDIOT.

So much this.

W
T
F
?
Mitch need's to return ASAP: Both QB's probably suck but all doubt needs to be removed in Mitch's case. Here's to a speedy return.

Mitch needs to come back because his evlatuation is more important than a playoff run that is looking farther away the closer it gets.
Coward replacing Long: The Bears need to see what they have in Coward heading into the 2020. Long no longer factors into 2020.

I think the day has finally come that 100% of Bear Nation agrees that Kyle Long is done. Let us just hope Matt Nagy is not the one man left.

Switch Daniels and Whitehair

No.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is what I would do with the line,

1. IR Kyle Long.

Benching him is embarrassing and by IRing him he gets the injury excuse and he can quietly disappear and retire in the offseason.

2. Start Rashaad Coward

Lets see if our investment of times and a roster spot has been worth it. He is 100% the most physical player that we have in the OL room.

3. Leak that you are looking at trading for Trent Williams

Send a shot across Leno's bow. They do not have the draft capital to do it, but they should let people know they are interested as Leno's play has been ass and he needs to stew in it for the bye week.

4. Bring up Alex Bars

He starts working at LT in practice. I would even give him a couple of 1st team reps every practice to make sure Leno knows that I am getting someone ready to replace him.

-See if that works.

5. Switch Whitehair and Daniels back.

I would still wait 2-3 games to see if getting rid of Long helps the interior OL out.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
The OL need a complete investment.

Bring in a couple of highly drafted guys. Cut Leno and Long and then let it shake out. Not much to be done this season besides bench Long and hope Leno stops sucking.

Is Leno’s 2020 contract still guaranteed?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
This is what I would do with the line,

1. IR Kyle Long.

Benching him is embarrassing and by IRing him he gets the injury excuse and he can quietly disappear and retire in the offseason.

2. Start Rashaad Coward

Lets see if our investment of times and a roster spot has been worth it. He is 100% the most physical player that we have in the OL room.

3. Leak that you are looking at trading for Trent Williams

Send a shot across Leno's bow. They do not have the draft capital to do it, but they should let people know they are interested as Leno's play has been ass and he needs to stew in it for the bye week.

4. Bring up Alex Bars

He starts working at LT in practice. I would even give him a couple of 1st team reps every practice to make sure Leno knows that I am getting someone ready to replace him.

-See if that works.

5. Switch Whitehair and Daniels back.

I would still wait 2-3 games to see if getting rid of Long helps the interior OL out.

Daniels is only 22 and he may develop at center but the Bears cannot afford to wait that out. I think the Bears are better off with Whitehair at center and Daniels at guard with Coward replacing Kyle Long. Agree, Alex Bars was just paid over $400,000 on the practice squad, might as well bring him up to the active roster. the problem is that is not going to happen with the Hicks injury. Bears now need depth at the position, Anderson will be brought back up to help fill the gap and Hicks returns in a month or so.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The Emperor has no clothes. Nagy rode a great defense to a good record last year but is being exposed. Mitch seems to have regressed, his chosen backup QB sucks, he is clueless in the run game and he has overseen a truly embarrassing OL. Why they chose to keep the corpse of Kyle Long around is beyond me.

Yep. The shine has come off of Nagy. We're about to find out and much of a good( or otherwise) coach we actually have, cause he has some serious coaching up to do in the next few weeks...

This team looks nowhere near a superbowl contender, and is hot garbage on offense. Can't run, pass blocking is just average, STUPID ass penalties, undisciplined. That's COACHING...

BEARS