Thoughts on David Montgomery this year?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
D Monty is being raved upon by his running trainer, other coaches & players, and several Bears sources. He's got a monster chip on his shoulder (some say "boulder").
I feel like having 2 tackles better than shitty Leno/Massie will be a game changer. Also, the eventual Fields factor...hell, even Red Rocket is an improvement > Trubs/Foles.

Flip side: DM's also being faded by the larger media who expect his top 5 rushing yards to fall when Cohen comes back + better backups after him to split carries.

What do you guys think about Montgomery???

Not to go all FF here, but I also created a poll for this question as it relates to drafting him for my fantasy team: ?

Not trying to be a homer but actually win. It'd be cool if both are possible. ?‍♂️ He disappointed when I got him in 2019. Granted Nagy, Mitch, Leno/OL, all failed him and the team a ton so far.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
wait, so you started a thread but you also linked to another thread you started about a mediocre running back?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
wait, so you started a thread but you also linked to another thread you started about a mediocre running back?

Asking about DM in general here. Let's keep the fantasy-specific talk in the other thread, but yeah - there's very little traffic over there in FF nerd land.

Remember when there used to be a separate Forum Section for NON-Bears talk? Yeah, that worked. ??‍♂️
It's the off-season. What else is there to talk about? Endless stupid articles over nothing? When Fields should start?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Asking about DM in general here. Let's keep the fantasy-specific talk in the other thread, but yeah - there's very little traffic over there in FF nerd land.

Remember when there used to be a separate Forum Section for NON-Bears talk? Yeah, that worked. ??‍♂️
It's the off-season. What else is there to talk about? Endless stupid articles over nothing? When Fields should start?
remember when there was and still is fantasy football forum on this board?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a fun, large bet on Monty winning the MVP. I'm too ducked up to get off the couch to check the win but it's in the thousands.

Fuck yeah!

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
If Nagy will feature him, he’ll be a top 5 back. A more stable OL, and more of a threat to throw deep will open a lot of things up. He’s also probably underutilized as a receiving threat. He needs about 25 touches per game, IMO. That’ll be a challenge with Robinson, Mooney, Cohen, and Kmet needing to eat. IMO, Monty is your workhorse and stabilizer. Don’t overcomplicate it…you can and should lean on him. Robinson will get his…target Mooney deep, kmet should be a chain mover…but Monty is consistent and will keep things simple. You don’t need to outsmart the D every time…just run the smart play and lean on what works

greg23

Liked Posts:
I have a fun, large bet on Monty winning the MVP. I'm too ducked up to get off the couch to check the win but it's in the thousands.

Fuck yeah!

Hes gonna need to make the most of his 7 carries a game to win MVP

Maybe a weekly stat line of

7 carries
168 yards
3 td's

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Montgomery, while not flashy, has special traits when it comes to contact balance, breaking tackles and getting out of tight spaces. he plays every down with passion (no meatball).

He's not a home run threat but I'm very interested to see what her can produce if our run blocking is as good as we hope. He's obviously training hard to improve and he seems to be as passionate about the game than anybody I've ever seen.

I think the biggest factor in his success this year will be Nagy and how much opportunity he actually gets.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
The interior o-line is the same, and they get no push on run plays. That will not change. It's like some of our posters think because they don't get trucked and dumped into the QB's lap...we have a power run game - we don't.

Week one: Monty over/under 65 yards rushing.

Any takers? I got under.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I expect him to be involved in the passing game more this season. I’m feeling about 1200 yards rushing, about 500 receiving, at least 10 tds

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I expect him to be involved in the passing game more this season. I’m feeling about 1200 yards rushing, about 500 receiving, at least 10 tds
I suspect that's about right. If he can avoid the extra deke and clear a gap quicker, it could be even better.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Fuck yeah!
Since the chances are zero. it should have been in the millions

Reactions: DC

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fantasy Football - I wouldn't touch a skill player on the Bears outside of Arob and JF1, possibly Mooney for a bye week replacement. I would consider stashing Monty if JF1 starts, but it's all dependent on if bald Julius can get over himself.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
RBBC. Monty will be good, but I don’t think he’s going to be used as a workhorse type RB.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think it is settled that Monty is a solid back, but Nagy is going to Nagy. Cohen is back and will see his fair share of carries. Then there will be some WR screens, jet sweeps, Nagy specials etc. And that doesn't even include if/when Fields starts and Fields gets some carries in an RPO.

Nagy doesn't use a feature back. Even if the same simple running play worked twice in a row, he would change it just to try and be cute.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The interior o-line is the same, and they get no push on run plays. That will not change. It's like some of our posters think because they don't get trucked and dumped into the QB's lap...we have a power run game - we don't.

Week one: Monty over/under 65 yards rushing.

Any takers? I got under.

Against the Ram's defense? lol

However... the interior o-line won't be the same. Hell... it wasn't even the same from the beginning, middle or end of last year.

I think the run game will be improved and all of the RB's will benefit, but I don't think Monty will put up much better stats than last year outside of maybe a few more TDs because the ball will be spread out more.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
These numbers seem a bit excessive, but I like where your head is at. I think 1,000 yards rushing, 400 receiving and 8 tugs would be a solid season