Thoughts on Desai after 1/4 of the season

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Is he still Mel Tucker? Seems to be doing alright so far with some aging players in a new scheme.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fix the "why"s in the secondary miscommunication, or lack of communication, and he's got my vote of confidence. Whether it's benching someone or not.
The why's are that Vildor and Shelley should be splitting reps at nickel and dime.

I would see more of Tabor and Bush anyway in a big nickel but CB2 might burn us for a while.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Desai has been decent but he's too passive, although not as passive as Pagano was.
Fix the secondary miscommunications and attack more on 3rd & long. Sending Smith on the inside blitz should be done more often/or send Ogletree as well.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Miscommunication in the secondary is really the only huge problem as far as coaching.

I'd like to see him also keep his foot on the gas for a little longer. The Bengals and Lions both made comebacks when they started to play less aggressively around the mid-late 3rd quarter.

He's getting much more pressure by doing pretty basic things that Pagano rarely did, twists and stunts, the well timed LB blitz.

Overall he's done fine so far imo.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Well something was off with Pagano. It's like the rule changes totally transformed who Pagano was from wade Phillips into Lovie Smith.
Pagano had 1 good season as a DC on a loaded Ravens roster. There was never anything off about Pagano. He never had it. There were a few that said that from day 1.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Pagano had 1 good season as a DC on a loaded Ravens roster. There was never anything off about Pagano. He never had it. There were a few that said that from day 1.

The Colts board had a impressively thought out game plan on how to beat him last year and the Colts followed it to a T.
That says something.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
I was most impressed by holding the Browns to 13 points for 50 minutes. Defense played their hearts out that game
The only good game they’ve had In defense.

Desai has been a little better than Pagano, going from 14th to 11th in the defensive rank. Let’s hope he can at least turn this defense into a top 10 Or better. So far, just a little better than Pagano.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was at least expecting a good secondary coach in him and more aggression.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know. The red zone defense has been awesome, otherwise just okay. Detroit marched right down the field only to fuck up royally inside the Bears 10. I would like to take credit for the ball bouncing off Goffs chest into the Bears hands. 3 times down to the 5 yard in a half scoring nothing may be a record. I will give halve the credit to the Bears red zone defense and the other halve to Detroit being Detroit.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
The only good game they’ve had In defense.

Desai has been a little better than Pagano, going from 14th to 11th in the defensive rank. Let’s hope he can at least turn this defense into a top 10 Or better. So far, just a little better than Pagano.

I have to disagree partially with this. Pagano had +Fuller and +Goldman (in 19) not to mention Mack and Jackson both coming off of all-pro seasons.

It’s impressive they are above average despite losing several key guys, and others underperforming.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
The bengals have been tearing everyone up, and the bears shut them down for 95% of that game (until the Nagy offense stopped getting first downs). I think Desai can be special if given more talent on that side of the ball.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't know. The red zone defense has been awesome, otherwise just okay. Detroit marched right down the field only to fuck up royally inside the Bears 10. I would like to take credit for the ball bouncing off Goffs chest into the Bears hands. 3 times down to the 5 yard in a half scoring nothing may be a record. I will give halve the credit to the Bears red zone defense and the other halve to Detroit being Detroit.

Yeah, Detroit made it look easy to move the ball. Not so sure why this isnt talked about more.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
B+
1st year DC and had to fill holes in roster at NT and CB. Defensive stats would be better if offense wouldn't have taken a shit on them 3 games.