Thoughts on Desai after 1/4 of the season

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leading in sacks without a dominant Mack can only receive an A or an incomplete.

4 games in you have to feel he's onto something even if it's not all together yet.

+1

For sure it feels like he is still figuring stuff out, but I have seen a lot of improvement since the trip to Los Angeles.

He's got these linebackers playing very well.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
I have to disagree partially with this. Pagano had +Fuller and +Goldman (in 19) not to mention Mack and Jackson both coming off of all-pro seasons.

It’s impressive they are above average despite losing several key guys, and others underperforming.
He didn’t have Goldman at all last year, and they finished 14th. And Mack had a down year, nowhere near an all pro season.
Quinn on the other hand is having a much better season this year, and so far so is Mack.

We’ll have to wait. The Viking did a much better job against the Brown, than the Bears did. It’s a defense that relies on opposing mistakes and takeaways. And those won’t happen often.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I don't know. The red zone defense has been awesome, otherwise just okay. Detroit marched right down the field only to fuck up royally inside the Bears 10. I would like to take credit for the ball bouncing off Goffs chest into the Bears hands. 3 times down to the 5 yard in a half scoring nothing may be a record. I will give halve the credit to the Bears red zone defense and the other halve to Detroit being Detroit.
Yeah, Detroit shot themselves in the foot like 4 times. I'm not ready to give Desai much credit. A healthy Robert Quinn definitely helps.

And I wouldn't downplay the communication in the secondary....they are giving up automatic TDs on the regular. This will kill a big game someday.

msadows

Liked Posts:
So far so good.

Really, whatever has happened to quinn this season is the difference between last year. If thats desai using him better or quinn finally feeling healthy I have no idea.

If quinn can play this well for the rest of the year this defense can be in that top 12 range, which is a lot better than I expected.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Detroit shot themselves in the foot like 4 times. I'm not ready to give Desai much credit. A healthy Robert Quinn definitely helps.

And I wouldn't downplay the communication in the secondary....they are giving up automatic TDs on the regular. This will kill a big game someday.

Yea, outside of Goff being Goff the bears defense gave up a ton of big drives.

The lions were in the redzone what...5 times this game? They were fortunate this is a lions team with goff and not stafford because the game woulda been much closer.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The only good game they’ve had In defense.

Desai has been a little better than Pagano, going from 14th to 11th in the defensive rank. Let’s hope he can at least turn this defense into a top 10 Or better. So far, just a little better than Pagano.
The D leads the league in sacks.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Plays a ton of quarters so he needs his guys to communicate better. Need Hicks and Goldman there to help stop the run with Quarters thoooo.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, despite being bottom 10 in QB hurries % and Qb Knockdown %. It’s very strange, and also with very few Blitzes. the front 4 are playing great so far.
Roquan has 2 sacks from blitzing.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
The Bears are 25th in 3rd down conversion %, and 14th in 4th down %. But they are 5th in RZpct.

They‘re 21st in Yards per drive pct. And 15th in drives ending in score. 8th in drives ending in a Turnover.

24th in time per drive and 18th in points per drive.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Bears are 25th in 3rd down conversion %, and 14th in 4th down %. But they are 5th in RZpct.
so it's sorta bend but don't break.

i'm sure the way you watch football (just the bears games?) you think that every series should be a quick 3 and out, but that's just not how football looks these days.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
People are unfairly ripping Desai when he has no secondary to work with. That's on Pace not Desai.

Overall I think he's done a pretty good job after a shaky first game.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Luke warm impressions. They lead the league in sacks, which is ideal, but they have waaaaaay too many communication errors in the secondary that seem to be on repeat every week. They had one game where they intercepted the football. Tackling still seems to be very poor. 3rd and long defense continues to be really bad. A lot of things that need to be cleaned up.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
so it's sorta bend but don't break.

i'm sure the way you watch football (just the bears games?) you think that every series should be a quick 3 and out, but that's just not how football looks these days.
Yeah, bent but don’t break, but also very lucky with the turnovers.
That’s not at all what I’m expecting. Just a top ten defense, right now they’re 11th in overall defense. But below average in a lot of important stats that I just posted, I edited the message you replied. They allow a lot of time, yards and points per drive. Below to watch below average.
I‘m so harsh with this defense because they were top 3 with Fangio, and then it became average, 15th with Pagano, so far Desai has been a little better, but they still need to improve.

They‘re 21st in Yards per drive pct. And 15th in drives ending in score. 8th in drives ending in a Turnover.

24th in time per drive and 18th in points per drive.