Thoughts on Gleybar Torres

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Spoiler alert: Happ has more value than Frank

That is debate worthy. Frank was well regarded but only got 6 games as KC's starting 1B then got stuffed back into the minors.

All I can say is that he loves being out there and wears his emotion on his sleeve. Numbers wise he is striking out at a 16% clip. Half of Wisdom's.

He is getting a larger diet of curve balls now because he has been mowing down the fastball.

So yes I expect another adjustment. But I went into his HR AB with that opinion. First two pitcher missed with the curve. Fell behind and had to go sinker in zone and Frank blasted him for it.

Frank is a great hitter. He didn't bite on the trash. Sure if a pitcher comes in with mad control of a hammer he most likely will get beat. But he also will hammer a guy for falling behind a count.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Listen to yourselves, all your plans revolve around acquiring the White Sox 4/5 often injured starter for exorbitant prices. Shits hilarious.
He’s supposed to magically become your reliable 2/3 and you’ll just smack the Reds and Brewers and Cardinals out the way?

I really can’t believe management will see the opportunity and would think the spending cools for a couple years until a path to compete for a wild card emerges clearly.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When you decide to make a better suggestion then I will start to value your opinion.

Until then you are just another fan in the stands.

And yes I love my job. Get to be outside and meet people. Get paid well. Retirement plan with pension. Protected by a union.

Better than a burger flipper.
I have never once said anything derogatory about you being a mailman.....MOF, we've been fortunate enough to have two great guys delivering our mail (1st guy retired). You should love your job in San Diego, our guys go through hell in the winter.

Of course I'm just a fan.....apparently, you think of yourself as more than that. Sorry....I don't think so.

You sound like a very good mailman, but.....you absolutely suck at rebuilding a baseball team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I have never once said anything derogatory about you being a mailman.....MOF, we've been fortunate enough to have two great guys delivering our mail (1st guy retired). You should love your job in San Diego, our guys go through hell in the winter.

Of course I'm just a fan.....apparently, you think of yourself as more than that. Sorry....I don't think so.

You sound like a very good mailman, but.....you absolutely suck at rebuilding a baseball team.

No just opinions.

I have said that I believe Tom is going to dump resources into debt this year.

He doesn't want to pay market value. If he did then there would be retention.

That is just fucking common sense. If Jed could have paid market then he would have.

Fuck dude.

They are where they are because Jed can not pay fair market value so here we are.

Again common sense.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And the only reason why I feel that those moves are 'doable':.

If you believe it is high risk to offer Rodon a term deal. So will the market. That brings down his and Boras' leverage.

Jed will have payroll to work with and a non contending team.

It is kinda a match if you think of it. Low pressure. Payroll space. Management has leverage to go below market value.

Miller. Flex. I am not a proponent of a static DH. I loved Joe for that. He made a swing system to keep guys fresh. Think of it. If there was a DH in 2016. Baez would have been the starting 2B earlier. So would move around and no loss PA.

Sure down the road it might be a great place to stick Frank..

Regardless I see this team as turn over but Jed will hold what works and will add around them. When Davis is ready he will axe Heyward. Heyward has pretty much been an eyesore and a major reason why not to invest. On paper it made sense.

Baseball is not played on paper.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And another thing. With Contreras. This one really goes with Jed's track record. He will low-ball then sell.

Flipping and one year rentals of older catchers to mold a young staff is not a dumb idea. Tossing Amaya out there with a young staff is a bad idea.

2016 as above. Contreras was not the starting catcher then. The staff has gotten worse sense that time. Only last year did it improve but the talent level dropped

I see it as as David is a master when it comes to catching. He knows how to make it work far better than Joe did. So game calling to me is the #1 aspect of a catcher. Not age or other issues.

As far as I am concerned. 10 years can pass and David has 10 starting catchers. Shut is going to work regardless.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Listen to yourselves, all your plans revolve around acquiring the White Sox 4/5 often injured starter for exorbitant prices. Shits hilarious.
He’s supposed to magically become your reliable 2/3 and you’ll just smack the Reds and Brewers and Cardinals out the way?

I really can’t believe management will see the opportunity and would think the spending cools for a couple years until a path to compete for a wild card emerges clearly.
Not one person here has expected us to be good next year. The idea is to have Rodon stabilize things in the rotation. I would expect near a .500 year next year and then be playoff contenders in 2023. All we expect of Rodon is to pitch somewhat like he is now and eat up 150 innings.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
What's the thought process here? The cubs pretty much went all in on madrigal at 2B by making him the headline piece in the kimbrel trade. Yes SS is empty but presumably that would be where you play Nico in 2022. Theoretically you might be able to play him in CF but playing Torres at SS is making your defense significantly worse. In a little over 2 seasons worth of innings he's -25 DRS and -6.5 UZR/150. He might be ok at 3B but i honestly haven't watched him enough to know how his arm would play there. And honestly, Wisdom has earn the shot to play there in 2022.

As a back up, Torres would be hella expensive because he's a super 2. So unless you let him get released and sign him that way I don't really see the logic. And of course that's assuming he figures out hitting again which isn't a given.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not one person here has expected us to be good next year. The idea is to have Rodon stabilize things in the rotation. I would expect near a .500 year next year and then be playoff contenders in 2023. All we expect of Rodon is to pitch somewhat like he is now and eat up 150 innings.
Sounds right. I’ll take all your bets on 2023 and 2024.

Jed must be a major tool. He’s a fucking chain saw or a wood splitter to think he will Epstein tank this thing again.

good luck to you. I can’t even hate, that would be wrong. Pity…is beneath the club especially the intelligence I am jealous of here with the best analytics discussions in any baseball circle anywhere.

like I really feel bad for you guys, this shit was beyond wack.

I wanted Cuban to buy, the Rickets revealed themselves to be either cheap or morons here. Gonna be a long sad climb back to 4th place in your division.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
What's the thought process here? The cubs pretty much went all in on madrigal at 2B by making him the headline piece in the kimbrel trade. Yes SS is empty but presumably that would be where you play Nico in 2022. Theoretically you might be able to play him in CF but playing Torres at SS is making your defense significantly worse. In a little over 2 seasons worth of innings he's -25 DRS and -6.5 UZR/150. He might be ok at 3B but i honestly haven't watched him enough to know how his arm would play there. And honestly, Wisdom has earn the shot to play there in 2022.

As a back up, Torres would be hella expensive because he's a super 2. So unless you let him get released and sign him that way I don't really see the logic. And of course that's assuming he figures out hitting again which isn't a given.
You know as well as I do that short stops can play any outfield position as well. I wouldn't say Wisdom has solidified his spot here. HIs kind of 2 outcome at bat isn't a rare thing these days. I like Wisdom but he's just a placeholder. Plus the idea is to gain talent, to either see if they can stick or flip them the next year.

If Torres does play well next year and the Cubs are still bad then he becomes an excellent trade piece. Next year you want to get talent that needs to be polished. If the team isn't contending then you flip it. Torres in super 2 would be somewhere under $10 million, that is not at all expensive when you have $60 million in allocated salary next year.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

I definitely don't want Torres. And I'm fine with wisdom having 3rd next year if a better option doesn't fall into place. But I'd don't really think wisdom has earned any type of commitment. He's exactly the type of hitter we've been trying to move away from. He isn't a long term solution. Honestly, I'd rather have Duffy there than him next year.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Sounds right. I’ll take all your bets on 2023 and 2024.

Jed must be a major tool. He’s a fucking chain saw or a wood splitter to think he will Epstein tank this thing again.

good luck to you. I can’t even hate, that would be wrong. Pity…is beneath the club especially the intelligence I am jealous of here with the best analytics discussions in any baseball circle anywhere.

like I really feel bad for you guys, this shit was beyond wack.

I wanted Cuban to buy, the Rickets revealed themselves to be either cheap or morons here. Gonna be a long sad climb back to 4th place in your division.
Hope your Sox are able to win a series before reinsdorf let's this core of young guys go elsewhere and you begin your next rebuild. Good luck with that

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My bad. I drank too much and broke my self resolve not to fuck with you guys, especially right now. Glad your spirits are still strong and heads in the number clouds.
For real I’m jealous of the analytics here and I have to peak at the best discussions around. I learn a lot, and I occasionally can’t resist my south side nature.
I’ll try harder, and may you build a baseball God team even the Bean himself would be proud of.
I don’t like to see what happened here in sports. I’ll root for Rizzo against all but one team, and Bryant is on my National League team for that matter.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Yankees could be shopping the 24 year old shortstop who hit 38 homers 2 years ago.
He is obviously at an age where he can be fixed.

The odds are that the Yankees will be in play for Story, Correa, Baez or Seager.

It would make sense for the Cubs to give Torres a look to see what a trade for him would cost. He is still under control until 2025 and because of his struggles I doubt he wouldn't cost more than one top 30 prospect.
Who tf is GLEYBAR Torres?