Thoughts on Kyle Trask in Rd 2?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Ben R. Joe Flacco. Trent Dilfer. Just three unathletic QBs off the top of my head that won SBs. Of course I’d love a guy with some wheels.... but accuracy and decision making are 85% of the position in my book.
Out of those 3 Super Bowl winning QBs, which one, besides Ben, would you have liked to have played for the Bears?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
so probably like a lot of you I've watched highlight videos of a lot of these guys and decided last night to watch a full game, to see all the misses, near misses etc. I watched Trask vs. Georgia and I have to tell you, this kid is freaking really good....he makes decision and gets the ball out so fast it's like the defense is always a step behind. He did throw a pick6 and another that probably should have been but man when he's in a groove this dude really slings it. His approach reminds me of Phillip Rivers, Rivers didn't have a big arm but is all about timing and being smart as shit. This kid has one of the fastest processors i've ever seen and he gets the ball out quick and seems to nearly always pick the correct receiver...I'm not positive if this is because of superior talent or scheme or if he's actually going through his reads that fast but whatever it is it works....a lot......his short game is big time and watch his longer outside completions. i'm going to watch Alabama next to see how he does against the future pros.

I'm like you. The more tape I watch the more impressed I am.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trask is gonna need above avg pass pro

Weaknesses:
  • Statue in the pocket
  • Not a running threat
  • Needs to improve pocket manipulation
  • Struggles to avoid the rush
  • Can't bail out his offensive line
  • Enough arm, but not an overwhelming cannon
  • Might be more of a game manager in the NFL

Please don’t ever quote anything from Walter again..... that site is pure shit

GSHSoldier

Liked Posts:
I get the pick wouldn't be as sexy as Mac Jones, but what I have read about the kid's profile is that he is extremely accurate and has a strong arm. The main issue is that he isn't mobile, which is The fad that is in the NFL right now with quarterbacks.

But that's also why I think the Bears will go offensive tackle in round one, because Andy Dalton isn't the most mobile quarterback anyway.

There is also some overlap in terms of skill sets and intelligence that would make it easier for Trask to learn from a quarterback like Andy Dalton who has some similarities to himself from a skill set standpoint.

The other part of this is that because Trask is not mobile, it has forced him to learn how to read defenses in order to be an effective quarterback.

Only thing is I have not seen the kid play but I'm curious if others have...

Does Shane Matthews ring a bell? I doubt this Rex Grossman clone will complete 22 passes in a row for an NFL record. Pace can actually hit on 2nd rounders. OL/QB in round 1, CB in round 2 unless Surtain falls, and OL/QB in round 3 depending on the round 1 choice

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Does Shane Matthews ring a bell? I doubt this Rex Grossman clone will complete 22 passes in a row for an NFL record. Pace can actually hit on 2nd rounders. OL/QB in round 1, CB in round 2 unless Surtain falls, and OL/QB in round 3 depending on the round 1 choice

Shane Matthews could not complete a Pass over 5 yards.

This kid has at the very least an intermediate game Matthews never did, and the kid is WAY more accurate.

That you even call him a Grossman clone shows you are complete and total moron Rex had an arm but no brain in this kid has the opposite problem.

Even without a deep ball he works the middle of the field extremely well.

At a bare minimum I think he ends up being a quality backup, and may end up more if he further develops.

That's not a bad deal for where the Bears are picking.

GSHSoldier

Liked Posts:
Shane Matthews could not complete a Pass over 5 yards.

This kid has at the very least an intermediate game Matthews never did, and the kid is WAY more accurate.

That you even call him a Grossman clone shows you are complete and total moron Rex had an arm but no brain in this kid has the opposite problem.

Even without a deep ball he works the middle of the field extremely well.

At a bare minimum I think he ends up being a quality backup, and may end up more if he further develops.

That's not a bad deal for where the Bears are picking.

thanks for the warm welcome to the board! Both are failures. Once one has to resort to personal attacks, they lose all credibility. We all have our own opinions, to each their own. If everyone in the world was the same then the world would be a boring place. Does this board have an ignore function? Lol

I found it!

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trask vs Alabama 4 mins

Worth the watch. Seems more accurate and mobile than what I've been reading TBH. Several designed QB draws, sneaks, etc. No rollouts or bootlegs though. Not sure I saw a lot of progressions or looking off safeties, but quick strikes for sure and a good touch on med-deep balls. I fully admit to NOT being an expert on him or any of my first looks at his game.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
thanks for the warm welcome to the board! Both are failures. Once one has to resort to personal attacks, they lose all credibility. We all have our own opinions, to each their own. If everyone in the world was the same then the world would be a boring place. Does this board have an ignore function? Lol

I found it!

Something's tells me that ignore button is going to get to work out here from this dude. ?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
here he is against Alabama, he's tough, he's got a great touch .....i like Jones better for sure but I'd take Trask over Foles any day

Thank you for this, it provides a better more well-rounded look at him.

Not quite as accurate all the time as obviously the highlight video makes him look, but still it really impressive accuracy a lot of the time.

Overall he has some really good pocket awareness as well, and can slip through the pocket.

His release is ungodly.

Still some things that we need to be improved but overall if This were a second round pick I'd be cool with it.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Can somebody explain the difference between Jones and Trask? Why is one a top 15 pick and the other a 2nd rounder at best?

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Can somebody explain the difference between Jones and Trask? Why is one a top 15 pick and the other a 2nd rounder at best?
Jones has exceptional accuracy. His pocket awareness is best of this class. Can go through progressions. Can throw on the run. Didn't make as many dumb throws like Trask. Trask is a statue, and is not as accurate as Jones.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:

Mac Jones is a fat slob, and Trask is a well tuned machine. I kid....kinda

I think the biggest difference is range. I see Jones can throw 60+ yards. I noticed Trask rarely throws over 40. I think Trask might be limited to 50-ish yards.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I'd take a shot at him in round 2, but it would mean that we had no shot at any of the top 5 QBs in rd #1 and we were able to grab a really good OT/WR at #20.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Offhand, Jones has better accuracy, mechanics, and command of the offense. Neither is that mobile but Jones has better pocket awareness, climbs and adjusts. You also see him work through progressions and manipulate defenders. Trask may have a slightly better arm strength and runs more often on draws. Both had outstanding weapons and produced at a high level, but Jones is clearly more NFL ready while Trask is a project.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Those GMs had those QBs as their top guys. It’s not like Andy Reid was going to trade up to 10 to get Trubisky. It was Mahomes all the way, because Reid actually knows what he’s doing.

We could go round and round, right? You could respond with something like, “Well, there were 9 GMs who didn’t take Mahomes.”

Ok, ok, fine. The point is that Pace sucks at evaluating QBs, and saying “But the mock drafts!!” is a lame-as-shit excuse. You’re the GM. You’re paid to get it right. Pace continuously does not. He sucks at it, no matter what the mock drafts say or don’t say.
You’re assuming a lot here.