Time for Kane/Toews accept fate

Granada

Liked Posts:
I think it’s typical GM bullshit speak.

I mean, he really can’t say “you know, these guys who were huge pieces in bring this team three Cups need to drop their move clauses so I can do my thing”, and I’m sure Rocky told him not to alienate the two biggest stars this team has seen since Savard. (Sorry JR fans)

So I think he’s pushing them out the GM way by getting rid of everyone around them.

Seriously, if Toews told fans not to go to games I think a lot of them wouldn’t. These two are icons
Right, he's not going to publicly declare that he wants to trade them, but then again, did he really have to say as much as he did? The article is blocked for me now, but if I recall, Davidson did seem to go out of his way in saying that there is still a place for them here and that he wants them to be here.

I feel like he actually did say this to them. He does want them here, but the real reason is, because he knows he'll get more at the deadline. It's actually a really smart move, because he looks like the good guy who cares about his two superstars, while keeping his ulterior motive under wraps. Unless he ends up moving one soon and/or just before the season, then he'll just look like Bowman, lol.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Exactly.

A lot of the so called “experts” are not addressing the huge increase in salary for Cat next year, or his money contract he most definitely deserves.

Come on. Holtz, Mercer, the second overall and next years first from the Devils? McDavid doesn’t get that much in return and he’s on another level if not three from Cat.

Alex DeBrincat is a great player. Nobody is saying different. But in a cap league where stars are banking 10% of the cap alone, he wasn’t worth much more then what the Hawks got.

Let’s see what he does away from Kane. I’m skeptical of this delusion that Sens fans think Stutzle is on the same level as Kane and will gift Cat easy tap ins the way Kane could. Kane earned that much respect and the jury is still out if Stutz can be that type of player and I like the kid.

And to be honest, the more I hear about Korchinski, the more I’m liking the kid. This guy was third overall on most defenseman rankings for the draft and his skating is far, far better then Jiricek.

Skating is becoming the biggest stock right now thru out the nhl. The biggest thing, imo, is letting these kids develop. There is absolutely no reason to rush any of these kids for the next three drafts. Give them time, let the tire fire burn, and bring these kids along slowly.

If you lose Cat, but gain Bedard, ain’t nobody here gonna be crying over it in a couple years.
Cat put up 41 in his sophomore campaign playing with Strome and Perlini and only saw 5 on 5 time with Kane and Strome in the 2nd half last year,he did see PP time with Kane all year. Kane only had a handful of goals last year when that line was put together and he still ended up with a career high in assists. It looks like the Cat will have Giroux in the pivot up in Ott.........let's see how Kane does this year away from the Cat.

If the kid stays as healthy as he has(yeat to miss a game to injury!)...he'll pot 500+ for his career.

We hear how Alex DeBrincat has two 40+ goal seasons out of his first five,let's look at the other three.....
17-18, enters the league @19 for the curmudgeonly Joel Quenneville and plays em all,puting togethr a solid 28/52 rookie season.
19-20,was shortened to 70gms by Covid and for some reason saw a HC with no business behind an NHL bench skate his elite sniper coming off a 41 goal season on a checking line in a mind-numbing quest for balanced scoring. I said at the time that season would stick out like a sore thumb on his career stat sheet when it's all said and done.........and it will!
20-21, saw the kid miss his only five games ever to Covid protocol BUT he was on a 50+ pace potting 32 in 52 game and over a point a game pace with 56.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think it’s typical GM bullshit speak.

I mean, he really can’t say “you know, these guys who were huge pieces in bring this team three Cups need to drop their move clauses so I can do my thing”, and I’m sure Rocky told him not to alienate the two biggest stars this team has seen since Savard. (Sorry JR fans)

So I think he’s pushing them out the GM way by getting rid of everyone around them.

Seriously, if Toews told fans not to go to games I think a lot of them wouldn’t. These two are icons
I've heard others suggest the bolded too.......'just piss Kane off by trading Cat' who Kane mentioned he enjoyed playing with if he were to stay not too long ago and we all know how JT felt about losing his best linemate in a long time.

If they are pissed off or feel they're being pushed out,they can just refuse to waive now OR at the TDL.......play with fire and you can get burned.
Maybe Lying Rocky wants to hang onto his best two 'draws' too.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I've heard others suggest the bolded too.......'just piss Kane off by trading Cat' who Kane mentioned he enjoyed playing with if he were to stay not too long ago and we all know how JT felt about losing his best linemate in a long time.

If they are pissed off or feel they're being pushed out,they can just refuse to waive now OR at the TDL.......play with fire and you can get burned.
I agree.

I really think Kane and Toews staying have more to do with Rocky then anything.

Granada

Liked Posts:
So Toews is once again voicing his displeasure about the rebuild. Says he doesn't know what he's going to do in the future. I appreciate his candor, but yeah, I'm starting to get tired of hearing him bitch about it now.

It will be interesting to see how he plays if he is still here come October. I'm starting to wonder if Davidson is keeping him because teams are starting to lowball their offers; or if maybe teams just aren't that interested.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see Toews leaving but Kaner staying. I think the allure of having the franchise records may be enough to keep Kane here.
I agree that Captain Toews is fed up and true to self all about winning, but Kane is where he is most loved and we have to mesh our plans with the overarching vision for a career created by father and son that took them this far.

Send Toews to Canada where he is also cherished.

But let Kane decide. Nobody comes here to play on Toews wing, but Kane is among McDavid, Crosby, Thornton…as the best creators of their generation.

People do come for that hoping it means a productive season and future paycheck. Europeans know him.

It’s for those reasons he can bring us free recruits and accelerate the rebuild, or he can bring us 3 premium picks and accelerate the rebuild.

I don’t really care, but selfishly I LOVED watching Keith with Edmonton and would get a rush to see Kane play in meaningful Stanley Cup games with Toronto or New York Rangers or Boston.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So Toews is once again voicing his displeasure about the rebuild. Says he doesn't know what he's going to do in the future. I appreciate his candor, but yeah, I'm starting to get tired of hearing him bitch about it now.

It will be interesting to see how he plays if he is still here come October. I'm starting to wonder if Davidson is keeping him because teams are starting to lowball their offers; or if maybe teams just aren't that interested.
The guy answered an interviewer honestly and I'm sure the new GM already knew his stance. How many 34 year olds buy into a 5-7 year rebuild anyway. Don't you want him upset enough to waive? It doesn't sound like you want him to stay. Should the 15 year veteran/captain not do interviews?
Should he say something untrue? I'm trying to figure out what's not bitching and only answering questions honestly.

It's Danny's and Jaime's and Kyle's team now.....oh,and the baseball guy.....can't forget him.
The young management team will approach this without emotion,it's a lot easier to do when you have no part of, or appreciation for past successes.
Jonthan Toews and Patrick Kane both devoted almost half their lives reviving the corpse of a franchise the new FO is now employed by. How much more do either owe the franchise?

I wish I could share the exuberance for the looming rebuild.......if the last one just didn't take 49 years.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I
I agree that Captain Toews is fed up and true to self all about winning, but Kane is where he is most loved and we have to mesh our plans with the overarching vision for a career created by father and son that took them this far.

Send Toews to Canada where he is also cherished.

But let Kane decide. Nobody comes here to play on Toews wing, but Kane is among McDavid, Crosby, Thornton…as the best creators of their generation.

People do come for that hoping it means a productive season and future paycheck. Europeans know him.

It’s for those reasons he can bring us free recruits and accelerate the rebuild, or he can bring us 3 premium picks and accelerate the rebuild.

I don’t really care, but selfishly I LOVED watching Keith with Edmonton and would get a rush to see Kane play in meaningful Stanley Cup games with Toronto or New York Rangers or Boston.
I would love to see Kaner with McDavid, Big Mac, Panarin. It’s obvious the Hawks aren’t going to be good for a hot minute and going scorched earth to try to get the top pick next year is no guarantee

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I

I would love to see Kaner with McDavid, Big Mac, Panarin. It’s obvious the Hawks aren’t going to be good for a hot minute and going scorched earth to try to get the top pick next year is no guarantee

The obvious is the Rangers. I think that could pull at Kane a bit to re-unite with Bread Man.

I always felt the unspoken with Cat was “I like playing with him”…”but not as much as Panarin.”

They also could be willing to send some intriguing pieces or just say fuck take all our picks for three years while we dominate.

Like they might win a chip without Kane in next three years, but give them 88-Bread and they become a different animal. And that could even be their second best line in another 2 years.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Exactly. If they are really pissed off, they can refuse to waive & refuse to re-sign. 'hawks get zero future assets for them.

Even Karpo got us Hjammer.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The guy answered an interviewer honestly and I'm sure the new GM already knew his stance. How many 34 year olds buy into a 5-7 year rebuild anyway. Don't you want him upset enough to waive? It doesn't sound like you want him to stay. Should the 15 year veteran/captain not do interviews?
Should he say something untrue? I'm trying to figure out what's not bitching and only answering questions honestly.

It's Danny's and Jaime's and Kyle's team now.....oh,and the baseball guy.....can't forget him.
The young management team will approach this without emotion,it's a lot easier to do when you have no part of, or appreciation for past successes.
Jonthan Toews and Patrick Kane both devoted almost half their lives reviving the corpse of a franchise the new FO is now employed by. How much more do either owe the franchise?

I wish I could share the exuberance for the looming rebuild.......if the last one just didn't take 49 years.
Bob you always fly off the handle at even the slightest bit of criticism of Toews. You say the GM already knows his stance. Well we all already knew Toews' stance too even before this interview, where he essentially said the same thing last time. Do you think continuously complaining about the state of the team is good for the young players/prospects on the team that Toews is supposed to be mentoring? Because I certainly don't.

Listen, if the guy doesn't want to be here, then yeah, I hope he waives and I hope there's a team out there who wants him at that price or half -- for his own sake and for the team's. It's really that simple. I've defended the guy over and over again, but I'm sorry, at this point, he's getting tedious. The team has been shit for over 5 years now. I know it's tough losing friends/players but this is logical step for this organization -- if he can't get over it, doesn't agree and he wants to keep complaining about it in the media, and if he'd rather win rather than mentor at this stage in his career, then he needs to move on.

And hey, I wouldn't blame him or Kane for wanting to move on. I'm fine with him voicing his displeasure in the previous interview, but he doesn't need to continuously do so. He's just a broken record at this point.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bob you always fly off the handle at even the slightest bit of criticism of Toews. You say the GM already knows his stance. Well we all already knew Toews' stance too even before this interview, where he essentially said the same thing last time. Do you think continuously complaining about the state of the team is good for the young players/prospects on the team that Toews is supposed to be mentoring? Because I certainly don't.

Listen, if the guy doesn't want to be here, then yeah, I hope he waives and I hope there's a team out there who wants him at that price or half -- for his own sake and for the team's. It's really that simple. I've defended the guy over and over again, but I'm sorry, at this point, he's getting tedious. The team has been shit for over 5 years now. I know it's tough losing friends/players but this is logical step for this organization -- if he can't get over it, doesn't agree and he wants to keep complaining about it in the media, and if he'd rather win rather than mentor at this stage in his career, then he needs to move on.

And hey, I wouldn't blame him or Kane for wanting to move on. I'm fine with him voicing his displeasure in the previous interview, but he doesn't need to continuously do so. He's just a broken record at this point.
There were several months in between those interviews and there were only two but okay......he's a constantly complaining,broken record in your view. Fans have a desire to know what he's thinking,he does his first interview in months,he's truthful and that constitutes 'BITCHING"?

Should he not have done his 2nd interview? Should he be less forthcoming?

How many 34yros want to be part of a 5-7(hope for less than 49)year rebuild?

A bitching,constantly complaining broken record who's harming all the young players for doing his 2nd interview and I'm flying off the handle?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with Bob that Toews shouldn't want to be a part of a long rebuild but Toews has to take in account that he hasn't been a $10 million dollar player since 2018. He's been a great Blackhawk but at this point his demands will justifiably be falling on deaf ears. He really should be grateful to be getting what he's still getting for what he's providing on the ice. Great leader, great intangibles and he will always be a favorite of mine......but at some point, you have to accept the fact that no one wins against Father Time.

Unfortunately, I think it's time to move on for him.

Granada

Liked Posts:
There were several months in between those interviews and there were only two but okay......he's a constantly complaining,broken record in your view. Fans have a desire to know what he's thinking,he does his first interview in months,he's truthful and that constitutes 'BITCHING"?

Should he not have done his 2nd interview? Should he be less forthcoming?

How many 34yros want to be part of a 5-7(hope for less than 49)year rebuild?

A bitching,constantly complaining broken record who's harming all the young players for doing his 2nd interview and I'm flying off the handle?
It wasn't just two; those were the two main ones, but he's made similar short comments in post-game interviews too. This isn't new, so let's stop pretending otherwise.

No one said he should never do interviews , but again, I'd wish he stop bitching about the direction of the team publicly already. That isn't how a captain and a guy who is supposed to be a mentor next year acts. He's already made his feeling on the subject known. How many times is too much, Bob? Are you cool if he just keeps shitting on the idea of a rebuild in future interviews? How would you feel as a young guy next year playing behind a captain like that?

You can be honest and still project at least a modicum of desire to be here next season in a captain/mentor role. There was none of that. It was all complaining, being "really drained" and "exhausted." If that isn't bitching, I don't really know what is. If you want to claim that I'm flying off the handle for simply calling it for what it is, I guess that's your prerogative, but I'd call it being a realist and stating a fact.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

In a perfect situation, they'd either be here and they'd help mentor the new guys within the rebuild, or they'd waive and we'd get assets for them.

If not, it'll be the last second to last losses cut (Keith's recapture is the last) if they ride out the year and don't re-sign.

Personally, I'm resigned to let the cards fall as they will with those two.
I agree with Bob that Toews shouldn't want to be a part of a long rebuild but Toews has to take in account that he hasn't been a $10 million dollar player since 2018. He's been a great Blackhawk but at this point his demands will justifiably be falling on deaf ears. He really should be grateful to be getting what he's still getting for what he's providing on the ice. Great leader, great intangibles and he will always be a favorite of mine......but at some point, you have to accept the fact that no one wins against Father Time.

I think you mean 2019. Toews was invisible in 2018, and honestly, only really looked like a 10M guy in 2019 and in the play-in. Bowman definitely paid for past performance but it's spilled milk at this point.

I have to say though, I wonder if Seabrook came over and had a few words with him after the interview :sneaky:

Granada

Liked Posts:

Right. Everybody loves the guy. Hell, I was defending him years ago when people were already sending him to the glue factory; including this season. And if he wants to play for a winning team, I wouldn't hold it against him in the slightest. But if he doesn't want to be here anymore -- and it's pretty damn clear that he doesn't, understandably -- then he should waive instead of complaining about it publicly on multiple occasions. I really didn't have an issue with it before, but enough is enough already.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In a perfect situation, they'd either be here and they'd help mentor the new guys within the rebuild, or they'd waive and we'd get assets for them.

If not, it'll be the last second to last losses cut (Keith's recapture is the last) if they ride out the year and don't re-sign.

Personally, I'm resigned to let the cards fall as they will with those two.

I think you mean 2019. Toews was invisible in 2018, and honestly, only really looked like a 10M guy in 2019 and in the play-in. Bowman definitely paid for past performance but it's spilled milk at this point.

I have to say though, I wonder if Seabrook came over and had a few words with him after the interview :sneaky:

No, I don't.

Blackhawks 2018-19 season. Started on October 4, 2018. 35 goals and 81 pts. but still only a +2 and he's been in free fall ever since.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right. Everybody loves the guy. Hell, I was defending him years ago when people were already sending him to the glue factory; including this season. And if he wants to play for a winning team, I wouldn't hold it against him in the slightest. But if he doesn't want to be here anymore -- and it's pretty damn clear that he doesn't, understandably -- then he should waive instead of complaining about it publicly on multiple occasions. I really didn't have an issue with it before, but enough is enough already.
I'd rather see both he and Kaner move on....they've both meant way too much to this franchise to be put through a meat grinder season. Game after game of trying to explain why their team sucks to the media.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, I don't.

Blackhawks 2018-19 season. Started on October 4, 2018. 35 goals and 81 pts. but still only a +2 and he's been in free fall ever since.
Yes, that's the 2019 season.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, that's the 2019 season.
Please show me anywhere on NHL.com.....the NHL's own website where any season is listed by one year. They play over two years so the NHL lists both. Even the shortened Covid season, which was only played in 2021 is listed as 2020-21.