Time to blow it up

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Enough is enough. We have a big enough sample size from 2017-2020. These guys can't get it done in the playoffs. 16 was clearly the outlier where everything went their way.

Time to start over. Dump salary. Trade players for a bag of balls if you have to. What we have now isn't working and won't work.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
YES! I been saying that for years!!!

This is the best time with Covid and empty stadiums.

giphy.gif

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ross was good with the staff. That was his strength as a player and it carried over. He got Caritini to become a strong framer this year. Yu improved. The pen improved as the season progressed

The line up suffered. Hitting was not a strength for David and it was not a strength this year

What to take out of it? They need a hitting coach that the hitters will respect.

The line up in general was poor this year and that weakness played out. This should have been the expected result as it was a issue going in.

So turn over is needed. They have too many of the same type. Bryant needs to be traded in a good market for 3B. If they aim high targeting Lemheu is a strong choice.

I just believe that this team needs some adjusting and adding a hitting coach that doesn't preach wait for a HR pitch.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Ross was good with the staff. That was his strength as a player and it carried over. He got Caritini to become a strong framer this year. Yu improved. The pen improved as the season progressed

The line up suffered. Hitting was not a strength for David and it was not a strength this year

What to take out of it? They need a hitting coach that the hitters will respect.

The line up in general was poor this year and that weakness played out. This should have been the expected result as it was a issue going in.

So turn over is needed. They have too many of the same type. Bryant needs to be traded in a good market for 3B. If they aim high targeting Lemheu is a strong choice.

I just believe that this team needs some adjusting and adding a hitting coach that doesn't preach wait for a HR pitch.

Lmao a new hitting coach? You can't be serious bro. How many hitting coaches have they had since 16? Yes let's keep blaming the variable that keeps changing and not the variable that stays constant. Sweet Jesus.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Lemaheiu
Realmuto

We won't get either as they won't spend and we also need pitching

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lmao a new hitting coach? You can't be serious bro. How many hitting coaches have they had since 16? Yes let's keep blaming the variable that keeps changing and not the variable that stays constant. Sweet Jesus.

2019 OBA was #8. Runs 10
2018 oba #4. Runs #9
2017 oba #4. Runs #4.

So I am not really sure where you are coming from.

This year oba #18. Runs 20.

So yes you can say coaching or the fact that Joe was a hitting coach and impacted the line up.

JJ if you are going to make statements at least fact check.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lemaheiu
Realmuto

We won't get either as they won't spend and we also need pitching

Lemahieu would makes sense then trade Bryant for some prospects. DJ is a better hitter than Bryant and the team needs more hitters vs sluggers.

I'm not sure if they would get into a bidding war but with a offload like Bryant they could use it as a market distraction and negotiate with DJ while the market is stalled then sell to the highest return while stealing the next best target in the melee.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
2019 OBA was #8. Runs 10
2018 oba #4. Runs #9
2017 oba #4. Runs #4.

So I am not really sure where you are coming from.

This year oba #18. Runs 20.

So yes you can say coaching or the fact that Joe was a hitting coach and impacted the line up.

JJ if you are going to make statements at least fact check.

You're missing the point. How did they hit in the 2018 tiebreaker and wc games? How did they hit in September 2019? How did they hit in the 2020 series against Miami?

All that matters is the postseason (or the late chase to get there as in 2019). I couldn't give a damn if they have the #1 offense throughout the season but then go scoreless in the playoffs.

I swear to God some of you suffer from battered wife syndrome and you wanna keep experiencing the same shit year after year.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

A hitting coach? ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................NAH!

tenor.gif

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
You're missing the point. How did they hit in the 2018 tiebreaker and wc games? How did they hit in September 2019? How did they hit in the 2020 series against Miami?

All that matters is the postseason (or the late chase to get there as in 2019). I couldn't give a damn if they have the #1 offense throughout the season but then go scoreless in the playoffs.

I swear to God some of you suffer from battered wife syndrome and you wanna keep experiencing the same shit year after year.

They miss Fowler at the top of the order greatly. He was as Maddon put it the Cubs "he go we go" guy. It's been nothing but a merry go round of guys since. Rizzo, Bryant, Scwarber, Happ, Jon Jay, Zobrist etc am sure I missed a few more.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

That happened in 2008 also. They were built the same. Station to station waiting for the big hit.

Look you are not wrong but the last game of the season was a lively bunch of subs that made things happen on the bases. Baez and Bryant were the only core hitters and the subs carried the game. The other win was a HR day against Cease who is still learning.

This series they got smoked by pitching. David didn't try to switch things up and went with unproductive hitters.

Look Jim I am not against you in this. Theo built the team to be boring and safe. Co depending on the HR. All of the hitters are sluggers. He didn't target hitters until Nico. Up until then every 1st round pick was a clone.

David is good at handling a staff. I am fine with him as a manager because pitching is the backbone of any contending team but he is not good at getting hitters to hit. They slump the team slumps. Joe would switch up and David was forced to do the same late season.

So yes this is a hitter issue but it goes a bit deeper than finger pointing. This team was created with a basic mindset that lacked diversity.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Theo's first draft pick, #6 overall, Albert Amora was supposed to be the catalyst up top. It's safe to say he's a BUST like Mitch Trubisky.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I wouldn’t “blow“ it up like most of you. There needs to be some player changes though for sure.

id trade Bryant and have bote play 3rd.
id trade Schwarber for ideally a leadoff hitter...I’m a fan of Whit merrifield even though many of you aren’t.
id give Báez an extension. Might get a decent team friendly deal after this season. And he’s one I expect to bounce back when things get back to normal. He feeds off the energy of fans in the stadium and being able to watch video in between at bats...which apparently wasnt a thing this season.
id part ways with Lester and give the rotation spot to a young guy like mills, alozay, etc.
in FA target some bullpen arms. And I don’t mean trash arms that used to be good.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Congradulations. I've only been saying for 2 years that it's not the hitting coaches....which they've had plenty of....it's the players. A pitching coach can't help you when you make a habit of taking center cut fastballs then swinging at the next two pitches that either bounce in or are 6 inches outside. Every year it plays out the same.....they're ok early on, they slowly regress till by the time you hit post season....they're all like rookies out there where every pitcher is like a big mystery.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Sounds like the Rickett’s think that it’s time to blow it up. Theo on his way out?
He did his job and got the title.
Probably not the guy to tear it down and rebuild.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Sounds like the Rickett’s think that it’s time to blow it up. Theo on his way out?
He did his job and got the title.
Probably not the guy to tear it down and rebuild.

Theo is capable. He just needs to have zero loyalties and go all in. Half baked tear downs never work ----> see Bulls 20 year plan.

I'd sell the house, that includes popular players like Javy. Tank for the next 2-3 years while Covid is keeping fans out of the stadium.