Time to blow it up

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Sounds like the Rickett’s think that it’s time to blow it up. Theo on his way out?
He did his job and got the title.
Probably not the guy to tear it down and rebuild.

Actually, funny enough, Theo is exactly the guy to tear it down and do the early rebuild. Theo's weakness, however, is what we needed the last 3 years. Someone to improve an already good team. Theo is terrible at that as he seems to really struggle with FA signings.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t “blow“ it up like most of you. There needs to be some player changes though for sure.

id trade Bryant and have bote play 3rd.
id trade Schwarber for ideally a leadoff hitter...I’m a fan of Whit merrifield even though many of you aren’t.
id give Báez an extension. Might get a decent team friendly deal after this season. And he’s one I expect to bounce back when things get back to normal. He feeds off the energy of fans in the stadium and being able to watch video in between at bats...which apparently wasnt a thing this season.
id part ways with Lester and give the rotation spot to a young guy like mills, alozay, etc.
in FA target some bullpen arms. And I don’t mean trash arms that used to be good.

I would target DJ and trade Bryant. Bote would be a decent 3B in a rebuild.

I don't see Schwarber having much trade value. Even after last year his trade capital was not much.

Baez is worth the extension. Even in a bad year his D value played out.

Lester I don't care about either way. They are already losing 2 arms so there are rotation spots to fill regardless.

Pen wise I would try to keep internal. Wick going down made the 7th sketchy. Other than that most of the arms under development will end up as pen arms. No need to over pay on that. They need to keep drafting power arms.

Most likely Theo bounces ànd Jed moves up. Then Jed will be tasked with lowering payroll down to 150 mil. So that is where we see a off load and a system refill.

gopher72

Liked Posts:
Lemahieu would makes sense then trade Bryant for some prospects. DJ is a better hitter than Bryant and the team needs more hitters vs sluggers.

I'm not sure if they would get into a bidding war but with a offload like Bryant they could use it as a market distraction and negotiate with DJ while the market is stalled then sell to the highest return while stealing the next best target in the melee.
IDK. Bryant has one year left on his contract at $18M. He’s been banged up. And his production has fallen off a cliff. What’s he worth right now?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I could see Lester coming back as a #5

that’s probably what will happen. But, in reality...what does that gain the cubs at this point? He’s going to have 5+ ERA. You can get that or better from a young arm, and at least that young guy gets experience and has upside potential

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keep Baez, sell the rest as needed. I still like Theo for a rebuild.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would keep Contreras as well as Baez. Happ is young and cheap and it's not clear to me yet if he can be consistently better but it doesn't cost much to find out. I'd miss Rizzo but I believe he is due $16 mil in his final contract year and maybe there's a contender that wants to trade a prospect for him. He can still retire a Cub when he hangs it up in a few years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It depends if they do a retune or rebuilt.

One thing we know is they will have 1 year of Bryant, Baez, Rizzo and Schwarber.

All 4 sucked this year. Baez plays GG quality D. Rizzo does also. Both are faces of the team.

Bryant is a pending injury every PA. Add to it the 3B market is poor so trading him makes sense in a bad market. LAD is just one team that could be a option.

Schwarber IMO should be traded. He is a avg runner and a avg defender in a low pressure D position. His power is unstable and he has not proven to be the hitter that he was coming up in the system. Don't expect much in return.

That is about it. I doubt that either gets a top 100 but you could get a solid prospect package back.

As far as next year goes if they are playing a mulligan then let Alzolay and Mills start. Sign a fringe lefty and let Marquez start in AA. Get ready for 2022. Extend Baez and move him to 3B. Nico to SS and Bote taking up 2B time. It would set them up for a strong SS market that they could target Lindor.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It depends if they do a retune or rebuilt.

One thing we know is they will have 1 year of Bryant, Baez, Rizzo and Schwarber.

All 4 sucked this year. Baez plays GG quality D. Rizzo does also. Both are faces of the team.

Bryant is a pending injury every PA. Add to it the 3B market is poor so trading him makes sense in a bad market. LAD is just one team that could be a option.

Schwarber IMO should be traded. He is a avg runner and a avg defender in a low pressure D position. His power is unstable and he has not proven to be the hitter that he was coming up in the system. Don't expect much in return.

That is about it. I doubt that either gets a top 100 but you could get a solid prospect package back.

As far as next year goes if they are playing a mulligan then let Alzolay and Mills start. Sign a fringe lefty and let Marquez start in AA. Get ready for 2022. Extend Baez and move him to 3B. Nico to SS and Bote taking up 2B time. It would set them up for a strong SS market that they could target Lindor.

I don't think things could've transpired much more worse than they did. The guys you want to move were all terrible. You mentioned don't expect much for Schwarber.....except for Happ who is probably a guy you want to keep, the only guy who improved his value was Heyward. Good luck moving that contract. You probably won't get much more than 50 cents on the dollar for most of them. Makes zero sense to me to move these guys just for the sake of moving them.....unless someone is just crazy enough to pay well for a guy, they have to hold on and hope they regain some of their value before the deadline or come across a contender with injury trouble.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't think things could've transpired much more worse than they did. The guys you want to move were all terrible. You mentioned don't expect much for Schwarber.....except for Happ who is probably a guy you want to keep, the only guy who improved his value was Heyward. Good luck moving that contract. You probably won't get much more than 50 cents on the dollar for most of them. Makes zero sense to me to move these guys just for the sake of moving them.....unless someone is just crazy enough to pay well for a guy, they have to hold on and hope they regain some of their value before the deadline or come across a contender with injury trouble.

Third Basemen

Asdrubal Cabrera (35)
Zack Cozart (35)
Todd Frazier (35) — $5.75MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
Marwin Gonzalez (32)
Jedd Gyorko (32) — $4.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Josh Harrison (33)
Adeiny Hechavarria (32)
Brock Holt (33)
Tommy La Stella (32)
Jake Lamb (30)
DJ LeMahieu (32)
Brad Miller (31)
Joe Panik (30)
Eric Sogard (35)
Justin Turner (36)

I would call that a weak market and a good time to sell on KB.

Left Fielders

Michael Brantley (34)
Jay Bruce (34)
Brett Gardner (37) — $10MM club option for 2021
Dee Gordon (33) — $14MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Robbie Grossman (31)
Brock Holt (33)
Matt Joyce (36)
Nick Markakis (37)
Cameron Maybin (34)
Marcell Ozuna (30)
Joc Pederson (29)
Jurickson Profar (28)

LF I believe Schwarber is behind Pederson.

So KB has little comp going in. So there will be a market. LAD will be losing Turner so this could be a good trade partner.

Schwarber most likely would get shit return offers so him in a platoon in LF is fine. It really doesn't matter as the Cubs could status que the OF for another year. Let Schwarber walk for nothing and move Ian to left and promote Davis.

But KB could become a solid trade chip. 1 year is nothing when it comes to trade value. Bobby Miller for him strait would be a great return for the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
that’s probably what will happen. But, in reality...what does that gain the cubs at this point? He’s going to have 5+ ERA. You can get that or better from a young arm, and at least that young guy gets experience and has upside potential

The market really is thin in pitching this year. I can see them targeting Wood or Ray because their market value is depressed. That might end up the smart move. But if it goes more expensive than resigning Lester then hard pass.

I don't see them investing this year. I see them shedding payroll. With Covid they are not going to blow up payroll for empty seats.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The market really is thin in pitching this year. I can see them targeting Wood or Ray because their market value is depressed. That might end up the smart move. But if it goes more expensive than resigning Lester then hard pass.

I don't see them investing this year. I see them shedding payroll. With Covid they are not going to blow up payroll for empty seats.

theres no need to sign any starting pitching. let Lester go and plug in a minor league arm. Results will be the same or better. Relief pitching is the only area they should spend some assets to get. Whether it be FA or maybe get a guy thru a schwarber trade for example. Kinda like the soler for Wade Davis type of deal.

they can trade Bryant and schwarber and add a guy to the bullpen and still be shedding payroll in the process. You can invest in a player or two while still shedding salary and be a better overall team for it

CSF77

Liked Posts:
theres no need to sign any starting pitching. let Lester go and plug in a minor league arm. Results will be the same or better. Relief pitching is the only area they should spend some assets to get. Whether it be FA or maybe get a guy thru a schwarber trade for example. Kinda like the soler for Wade Davis type of deal.

they can trade Bryant and schwarber and add a guy to the bullpen and still be shedding payroll in the process. You can invest in a player or two while still shedding salary and be a better overall team for it

Darvish
Hendricks
Mills
Alzolay

Brailyn Marquez (They could push him in 2021)
LHP, Chicago Cubs

Scouting Grades/Report (20-80 grading scale)
  • FASTBALL
  • SLIDER
  • CHANGEUP
  • CONTROL
  • OVERALL
The Cubs gave Marquez the largest signing bonus ($600,000) for a left-hander on the international market in 2015 because he already pushed his fastball into the low 90s at age 16 and his projectable frame portended more velocity in the future. The Dominican since has become the hardest-throwing southpaw starter in the Minors, topping out at 102 mph and repeatedly reaching triple digits in 2019. He finished with a flourish, posting a 1.17 ERA, .445 opponent OPS and a 48/8 K/BB ratio in 38 1/3 innings over his last seven starts.
Marquez's fastball velocity has soared as he has gotten stronger and cleaned up his mechanics, sitting at 91-93 mph in 2017, at 93-96 in 2018 and at 96-98 last year, when he was still just 20 years old. His power breaking ball can be a plus pitch at its best, resembling a slider more than a curveball, though it can get slurvy at times as well. He has dominated lefty hitters but has had less success against righties, so he'll need to refine a changeup that has promising life but sometimes arrives too firm in the low 90s.
Marquez's long limbs and low three-quarters arm slot don't make it easy to repeat his delivery and stay on top of his pitches, but he's making progress. After struggling to harness his electric fastball at the beginning of last year, he cut his walk rate from 5.8 per nine innings in his first 15 starts of 2019 to 1.9 in his final seven. While the Theo Epstein/Jed Hoyer administration has had trouble developing pitching prospects, Marquez is their most promising arm yet and a potential frontline starter.

Kohl Franklin (2 years out)
RHP, South Bend Cubs, A (Full)

• FASTBALL
  • CURVEBALL
  • CHANGEUP
  • CONTROL
  • OVERALL
Oklahoma's top high school prospect in 2018, Franklin missed most of his senior season with a broken right foot and dropped to the sixth round. The nephew of former All-Star Ryan Franklin, he signed for $540,000, the equivalent of third-round money. His stuff took a significant step forward last summer and the Cubs are eager to see how he handles a jump to full-season ball in 2020.
Franklin's fastball velocity continues to rise as he fills out his 6-foot-4 frame, climbing from 86-89 mph in 2017 to 89-93 in 2018 to 91-97 last summer. After not showing much aptitude for spinning the ball as an amateur, he switched to a knuckle-curve grip in 2019 and flashed a solid to plus breaker with increased depth. He has advanced feel for his fading changeup, giving him a quality three-pitch arsenal.
Franklin still has room to add strength, so his stuff could continue to add power. He's athletic, repeats his delivery well and throws strikes on a steep downhill plane created by his size and high three-quarters arm slot. He's young and will need time to develop, but he offers hope for a mid-rotation starter to an organization that has struggled to develop pitching.

Cory Abbott (1 year out)
RHP, Myrtle Beach Pelicans, A (Adv)

• FASTBALL
  • CURVEBALL
  • SLIDER
  • CHANGEUP
  • CONTROL
  • OVERALL
After altering the grip on his slider by watching video of Noah Syndergaard, Abbott broke out as a Loyola Marymount junior in 2017. He authored the first perfect game in school history, went 43 innings without permitting and earned run and set Lions records for strikeout rate (11.9 per nine innings) and opponent average (.173), propelling himself into the second round of the Draft. He has continued to cruise in pro ball, leading the Cubs system in ERA in each of his two full seasons and topping all of Double-A with 166 strikeouts last year.
Abbott mostly misses bats with his variety of solid breaking pitches, an 82-84 mph slider with depth that he can morph into a harder, tighter 80s cutter, and a 78-81 mph curveball with bigger break that he employs more against left-handers. He throws two- and four-seam fastballs, usually ranging from 90-93 mph with a peak of 95. His fading changeup also has the makings of an average pitch.
Abbott has an easy delivery that he repeats well and likes to attack hitters, so he provides plenty of strikes. He can't overpower hitters, yet he keeps them off balance by mixing his wide variety of pitches. The Cubs have had difficulty drafting and developing pitchers but he could give them a durable back-of-the-rotation starter in the near future.

Riley Thompson (2 years out)
RHP, South Bend Cubs, A (Full)

• FASTBALL
  • CURVEBALL
  • CHANGEUP
  • CONTROL
  • OVERALL
Thompson attracted scouts by reaching 96 mph with his fastball as a Kentucky high school senior in 2015, but he blew out his elbow two weeks before the Draft and had Tommy John surgery. He redshirted during his first year at Louisville, then had sporadic success the next two springs while also dealing with shoulder troubles before signing for $200,000 as an 11th-rounder in 2018. He stayed healthy and won two championships in his first two years as a pro, clinching the low Class A Midwest League title last September with 10 strikeouts over five hitless innings.
Thompson topped out at 100 mph with his fastball during his pro debut, then sat at 92-95 mph and repeatedly hit 97 last year while working 103 1/3 innings -- 19 more than he totaled in 2016-18. He has some of the best curveball spin rates in the system, contributing to a power downer that ranges from 82-86 mph and sometimes breaks so much he has trouble landing it for strikes. He has made strides with his changeup after adopting a split-finger grip, though he sometimes falls in love with his offspeed pitch.
Though he struggled to find the strike zone in college, Thompson has shown average control since cleaning up the lower half in his delivery and getting more regular work. As he continues to build up innings, he could add a bit more velocity. His first full season as a pro couldn't have gone much better and has the Cubs thinking he could become a mid-rotation starter.

Yovanny Cruz (Low upside)
RHP, Myrtle Beach Pelicans, A (Adv)

• FASTBALL
  • SLIDER
  • CHANGEUP
  • CONTROL
  • OVERALL
In the penalty box after overspending in 2015 to land Miguel Amaya, Christopher Morel and Brailyn Marquez among others, the Cubs were limited to bonuses of no more than $300,000 for the next two international signing periods. The best prospect from their 2016 crop is Cruz, who signed for $60,000 out of the Dominican Republic. He didn't pitch above short-season ball in his first three seasons and was hampered by tendinitis in 2019, but he has one of the more electric arms in the system.
Cruz has a power sinker with low spin rates that sits at 92-96 mph and tops out at 99, eliciting swings and misses as well as weak ground-ball contact. He shows good feel for spinning the ball and shows flashes of a plus slider. He also has an advanced changeup that could be at least a solid third offering.
Cruz generates quality stuff without much effort. He has a clean delivery and repeats it easily, which bodes well for his durability and strike-throwing ability. He's still a long way from Wrigley Field but could develop into a mid-rotation starter.

Justin Steele (filler 2021)
LHP, Chicago Cubs

• FASTBALL
  • CURVEBALL
  • CHANGEUP
  • CONTROL
  • OVERALL
The Cubs saved enough money by drafting Kyle Schwarber fourth overall in 2014 to afford seven-figure bonuses for three high school pitchers in the middle rounds. Only Steele ($1 million, fifth round) remains after Dylan Cease ($1.5 million, sixth) went to the White Sox in the Jose Quintana trade in 2017 and Carson Sands ($1.1 million, fourth) was released in 2018. Steele had Tommy John surgery in August 2017 and made an impressive comeback 11 months later, but he battled his control and command in Double-A last year before an oblique injury ended his season in June.
Even during a lost year, Steele still showed flashes of two plus pitches. His four-seam fastball sits at 92-95 mph and touches 97 with high spin rates and good life up in the strike zone. He possesses one of the best curveballs in the system, combining power and true downer action when it's on.
Injuries limited Steele to just 320 2/3 innings in his first six years as pro, and he needs better health and more experience to add some polish. He has some feel for his changeup but needs to use it more often, and he's still learning how to repeat his delivery in order to provide consistent strikes. He still offers the upside of a mid-rotation starter, but he'll also open 2020 as a 24-year-old who hasn't had much success above Class A Advanced.

Filler 2021
Tyson Miller
RHP, Chicago Cubs

One of 16 college pitchers taken by the Cubs with their first 18 picks in 2016, Miller went in the fourth round to become the first NCAA Division II selection that June and the highest choice ever out of California Baptist (surpassing 2014 seventh-rounder Trevor Oaks). He broke out in 2018, when he led the Class A Advanced Carolina League in strikeouts (126 in 127 innings), opponent average (.220) and WHIP (1.09). He continued to thrive in Double-A in the first half of 2019 but Triple-A hitters tagged him for a 7.58 ERA following his July promotion.

Miller has had more success the last two years by shelving his two-seam fastball in favor of his four-seamer, which ranges from 90-95 mph and plays better than its radar-gun readings with high spin rates and natural cutting action up in the strike zone. His mid-80s slider/cutter works well when he mixes it with his four-seamer and keeps it down in the zone. When his velocity on both pitches dipped in the second half of last season, he got pounded.

Miller has some feel for a changeup, though it couldn't keep left-handers from teeing off on him in Triple-A. His control is better than his command, and he'll need to do a better job of locating his pitches because he won't miss many bats in the strike zone. His ability to maintain his stuff over the course of a season may determine whether he's a back-of-the-rotation starter or just a middle reliever.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:

More reason to sell high and restock the farm. The White Sox unloading their #1 and #2 starters Sale and Quintana allowed them to restock the farm. Cubs can do same with Hendricks and Darvish.

NO BRAINER. SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL

CSF77

Liked Posts:
"We have two of the best starting pitchers in the game on good contracts," Epstein said.

What about the rotation behind Darvish and Hendricks?

"We certainly have to seek some starting pitching," Epstein said, "and some starting-pitching depth from outside of the organization, too."

José Quintana and Tyler Chatwood are bound for free agency, and Jon Lester would join them if the Cubs decline his $25 million option, as expected. Chicago would still have to pay Lester a $10 million buyout, and the possibility of bringing the veteran lefty back on a team-friendly deal does exist.

"We're going to talk over the next couple days," Epstein said of Lester. "It remains to be seen whether Jon has pitched his last game as a Cub or not. There's certainly the possibility that he continues to call Wrigley Field home."

Epstein later praised the work of right-hander Alec Mills, calling the starter a "dependable" and "adaptable" piece for the Cubs. Epstein also raved about the late-season development and MLB showing of righty Adbert Alzolay.

"Going into the year," Epstein said, "we were hoping that Adbert could develop into a Major League starter, and now we see one. And he's somebody that I think is primed to slide into the rotation."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pretty much what I figured.

Chatwood and Q gone.
Lester takes a 5 mil sure.
Mills is a swing guy but not a lock.
Alzolay they are going to give a spot to.

I see them targeting a FA at min.

Yu, Darvish, Alzolay are locks.

Mills is a swing so expect 2 above him.
Lester is one if he takes 5 mil.

Marquez is not ready and his 1 start showed that he needs to raise his arm slot to get over the ball more.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Starting Pitchers

Jake Odorizzi (31)
Rick Porcello (32)
Marcus Stroman (30)
Masahiro Tanaka (32)
Julio Teheran (30)
Michael Wacha (29)
Taijuan Walker (28)
Alex Wood (30)
Robbie Ray (29)

Now if they feel that they can fix Ray he would be the ideal option. His peak season was 3.3 WAR So we are looking at a 1 year fix it deal here. Good enough to get Marquez ready with a option to extend if it works out.

If I am going to invest:

Masahiro Tanaka
or
Jake Odorizzi

Tanaka IMO would be the right choice to pair up with Yu until retirement. Those 2 know how to pitch.

That is my want list.

Yu
Hendricks
Tanaka
Ray
Alzolay

Mills 6th starter
Marquez in Iowa making final adjustments.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
NOPE>

Darvish is going to be 35. His stock is at its highest point right now. MUST SELL FOR ASSETS NOW!@!!!!!!!!

Theo pretty much said we are planning on competing in 2021 and the rotation is a priority.

They are looking to drop 3 SP as is. I don't see them selling a CY young pitcher under a cost effective deal.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
LA Angels are desperate for pitching. They are wasting away Trout's prime years (just one playoff appearance in 9years) cause their pitching is the suck. Darvish loves Maddon and Maddon loves Darvish. Darvish can also be best buddies with Ohtani!!!!

Trade Darvish to the Angels. Scout their farm system for prospects and clean them out. DO IT THEO!!!!!