Time to say goodbye to Jake

dchawks59

Liked Posts:
First, he is a professional , a guy who works his butt off. second, he is not the guy Cubs fans remember nor will he ever be again, he is done. Finally, this game is nothing more than watching a major league team against a minor league team; pitiful play, horrible swings (they have no clue what is coming and/or could not hit the pitch even if they did know). This is what the Cubs will be like for the balance of the year (hope for top 5 draft position) and likely 2022 considering what they received in return from their trades. Wonder what Ricketts, Hoyer and Epstein (who has to be smiling that he is out of this mess) strategy was in 2019-20? Wonder what Cubs fans think when they go back to 2016 (WS Champs) and think that this management team sold off their future in 2016 and 2017-18. Say Gleyber, Eloy, Cease, etc.... now the future is ?????

jts1207

Liked Posts:
First, he is a professional , a guy who works his butt off. second, he is not the guy Cubs fans remember nor will he ever be again, he is done. Finally, this game is nothing more than watching a major league team against a minor league team; pitiful play, horrible swings (they have no clue what is coming and/or could not hit the pitch even if they did know). This is what the Cubs will be like for the balance of the year (hope for top 5 draft position) and likely 2022 considering what they received in return from their trades. Wonder what Ricketts, Hoyer and Epstein (who has to be smiling that he is out of this mess) strategy was in 2019-20? Wonder what Cubs fans think when they go back to 2016 (WS Champs) and think that this management team sold off their future in 2016 and 2017-18. Say Gleyber, Eloy, Cease, etc.... now the future is ?????

This may all be true but letting Milwaukee post a 7 spot top 1 is a joke

PickSix

Liked Posts:
It was time to say goodbye long before tonight’s shit show.

I’m curious who was in on the decisions to bring him back and to sign Trevor Williams. Obviously Jed, but curious if someone else internally was selling them as anything but giant turds.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It was time to say goodbye long before tonight’s shit show.

I’m curious who was in on the decisions to bring him back and to sign Trevor Williams. Obviously Jed, but curious if someone else internally was selling them as anything but giant turds.
This. He was done before the cubs signed him back this past offseason. Not resigning him and letting him go to the Phillies was an example of restraint shown by Theo and the front office. For all the hare people like to give them for the heyward signing, the Q trade, etc…gotta point out the smart decisions they made as well

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Hows gleyber doing the last year and a half?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lol about damn time. A lot of you were pretty happy with the signing in the offseason. Very few warned of just how bad it was going to be

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Finally.. Now its time to find what the kids have to offer. I'm sure it will be painful, but I will be worth it, I think. Arietta and Davis no longer benefit to have on roster.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Actually I would have kept Arrieta for the time being. Need as many losses as possible to improve draft position. He was an automatic loss every time he took the mound. Things can only improve from here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have requested unconditional release waivers on right-hander Jake Arrieta, per a team announcement. That move comes amid a series of transactions, as Chicago has also placed catcher Willson Contreras on the 10-day injured list with a sprained knee, reinstated catcher Austin Romine from the 60-day injured list, selected the contract of right-hander Ryan Meisinger from Triple-A Iowa, and designated lefty Kyle Ryan for assignment.

Interesting bit:

Romine, who has logged just six games and nine place appearances this season due to a left wrist sprain, will presumably pick up the bulk of the catching work in place of Contreras. The veteran 32-year-old was the Yankees’ backup catcher from 2016-19 before signing with the Tigers as a free agent for the 2020 season. He’ll now get the opportunity to team up with his brother, Andrew, for the first time in the big leagues. The Cubs inked Andrew to a minor league pact at the end of Spring Training and recently selected him to the Major League roster.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Jake lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Makes you wonder if Thompson will get the green light early. Last Tue 4 innings. 55 pitches. O ER 3 hits 1 walk 2 SO.

Abbott has been pretty bad of late.

I believe they have a off day on the 19th. After that.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Couldn't have won it without him. His run in 2015 will be something that I'll never forget. To this day, all Cardinals fans that I know still say he was juicing during his run with the Cubs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Couldn't have won it without him. His run in 2015 will be something that I'll never forget. To this day, all Cardinals fans that I know still say he was juicing during his run with the Cubs

He was able to walk on his hands. He had gymnist strength.

Card fans will talk shit. F# em.

I see it as he came up and the O's banned the cutter. He goes to the Cubs and adds the cutter.

The O's felt that the cutter will make a pitcher lose MPH. he lost MPH in 2017. So he had a 3 year peak and a fall off.

Fastball was at 94 avg and went to 91 avg.

When he had that velocity his shoulders were more square to the plate. That adds control of the zone. 2017 he went more crossfire to hide the ball more. That will lose control of the strike zone.

So there is no cheating going on. He had to adapt after losing 3 MPH. When he came back he scrapped the cutter and the 4 seam and changed into a sinker/slider with a curve mixed in.

So the drop off. We can argue cutter. Pitchers need to get behind the ball more on a 4. Cutter is held more on the side like a slider. So over time a pitchers hand will naturally come from the side more causing a loss in velocity.

Now this version. I really liked the movement that his sinker had. Greg mastered that pitch and made hitters look stupid with it.

With Jake he didnt counter it with a change up enough. That down an in movement can be telegraphed. He needs to have a velocity change to it.

The slider was fine but I would have brought back the cutter. Heavy break down and away and a pitch to put on the fist of lefties.

After that it is squaring up to the mound more and commanding the strike zone. Gred did it with lower velocity. It didnt matter because he would eat them alive on the edges.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This may all be true but letting Milwaukee post a 7 spot top 1 is a joke
This. Saw some stupid article blithering about "the last straw being Jake asking a reporter to lower his mask".
No. This inning he didn't get a single swinging strike. Not one. ?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Push aside the BS. The fact is he was not in the plans anyways. Jed was planning a 6 man anyways. He added Steel. He has Thompson pushing up his pitch found in Iowa so it was between Davies and Arietta

It really was not close between the two.

One game or one remark is a reaction. Professionals will look at a body of work and see one guy 50% better that avarage and the rest Jake. Then you had a Jake. So half a Jake is better than a full Jake and he won the not fired game.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Push aside the BS. The fact is he was not in the plans anyways. Jed was planning a 6 man anyways. He added Steel. He has Thompson pushing up his pitch found in Iowa so it was between Davies and Arietta

It really was not close between the two.

One game or one remark is a reaction. Professionals will look at a body of work and see one guy 50% better that avarage and the rest Jake. Then you had a Jake. So half a Jake is better than a full Jake and he won the not fired game.
I honestly don't know what you are even trying to convey here