Timeouts being allowed from the sideline

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Timeouts being allowed from the sideline is one of the worst rules in football.

That is not an excuse for yesterday. Parkey should have made the second kick, and I am by no means excusing him or feeling sorry for him.

But allowing a TO from the sidelines is a rule I have hated since the first time I saw it implemented.

If called on the field, the play never happens. But since they allowed coaches to call the timeouts, coaches (wisely) use this on big kicks all the time. And on many other plays. You can see what the opponent was going to do because you call it too late for the action on the field to stop before the snap.

There is absolutely no good reason for this rule, unless the result I mention above is what they are determining to be a good reason. If so, I strongly disagree.

Essentially every kicker has to make every kick twice. (I have seen it backfire where the kicker misses the first one and makes the rekick, however.) But if you call the timeout so fucking late as to allow the play to go far enough that the kicker kicks the ball, you're just too damn late.

Make a player call timeout. Period.

Are they worried that when the coach wants to allow the clock to get to 2 seconds and then call timeout that the player can't execute that?

I just don't see any good reason for this rule. And that is not because of yesterday's result. Yesterday's result just emphasized why I have always disliked the rule.

Gud Brant

Liked Posts:
That timely time out iced Parkey and contributed to him missing the actual kick. That is the definition of good coaching.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That timely time out iced Parkey and contributed to him missing the actual kick. That is the definition of good coaching.

Yes, pretty much what I just said. Thanks.