Tinoisamoa vs. Roach spices position battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Vaughn McClure

Bears veteran Pisa Tinoisamoa simply flashed a Colgate smile when asked about the competition with Nick Roach for the starting strongside linebacker spot.

"I think there's just a respect for each other," Tinoisamoa said after reporting to training camp Wednesday. "It was weird because I didn't know anything about Nick Roach, and I don't think he knew anything about me last year.

"Then we watched each other out there. And we were just like, 'To the best man.' It could be quite a battle."
It might be the most intriguing competition to watch as the Bears hold their first training camp practice Friday afternoon. Roach finished the offseason running with the starters while Tinoisamoa was limited somewhat while still recovering from last year's season-ending knee injury.

Five-time Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs openly lobbied for Tinoisamoa as the starter, while team leader Brian Urlacher constantly has raved about Tinoisamoa's playmaking ability. But both Briggs and Urlacher have praised Roach, too.

Health might be the deciding factor. The knee still appears to be a minor issue for Tinoisamoa, while Roach has had hamstring and concussion issues in the past.

"I haven't really sat down with the training staff and figured that part out,'' Tinoisamoa said. "I'm trying to win the job, so you can't really take any days off. Not this time. It's too close to the season."

Others battles worth watching include Mark Anderson and Israel Idonije at defensive end, Danieal Manning and Major Wright at safety, Josh Beekman, Lance Louis, and Johan Asiata at left guard, and Garrett Wolfe, Kahlil Bell, and Harvey Unga for the third running back spot.

More...

Manticore

Liked Posts:
Non story. Pisa wins by default if he's healthy enough to stay on the gridiron.

Manticore

Liked Posts:
I believe so as well. Although Hunter Hillenmeyer is underrated, imo.

Ehh,I don't know if you can call him underrated. He's a plug and play guy,he's been solid/average if nothing else over the course of his career. Nothing he's down really stands out in my mind other than his forced fumbles last year against the Vikes in the Monday Night game.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ehh,I don't know if you can call him underrated. He's a plug and play guy,he's been solid/average if nothing else over the course of his career. Nothing he's down really stands out in my mind other than his forced fumbles last year against the Vikes in the Monday Night game.

Seems like a solid tackler with the ability to punch the ball out, also a smart linebacker to me.

Nerrad

Liked Posts:
as much as i like Roach, id feel WAY more comfortable with Pisa starting if hes healthy

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Roach was fine as the SAM linebacker last season, but whoever starts on the strong side is just a 2 down LBer

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Roach was fine as the SAM linebacker last season, but whoever starts on the strong side is just a 2 down LBer

Except when your team is loosing in games a lot so they run the ball on you more, that happened the past few years with frequently and still could again.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except when your team is loosing in games a lot so they run the ball on you more, that happened the past few years with frequently and still could again.
Are you trying to say that the SAM Linebacker plays all 3 downs? :notfunny:
Lovie uses his nickel packages on 3rd down and removes the SAM Linebacker

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Are you trying to say that the SAM Linebacker plays all 3 downs? :notfunny:
Lovie uses his nickel packages on 3rd down and removes the SAM Linebacker

I think what I said it pretty obvious. When your lossing in games and down by big scores frequently, you generally DO play your SAM on 3rd downs because teams will be likely running on you holding onto the ball which if you watch the games or stats of the previous 3 years has happened a lot to this team. Especially 07 which is why Hunter was on the field so much and got a big amount of tackles for a SAM.

Besides you still don't always go by 3rd down or not. Plenty of times the Bears play nickle on 1st downs because you go by what the offenses packages are sending out. When it is 3rd and 1-3 and a team stacks in 2 or 3 TE's you don't go into nickle likely. It depends on situations not just downs like generic concepts say.

Status
Not open for further replies.