Tom Wilson

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
For some that didn't see it, he basically ended Breadman's season last night. Repeat offender, with a history of douchebaggery. Then NHL basically slapped him on the wrist and fined him the max 5k.

The Rangers are pissed and issued this statement.

Why am I telling you all this, not because necessarily all this drama but because I just realize that... FUCKING GEORGE PARROS is the HEAD OF PLAYER SAFETY AT THE NHL. He has the title of Senior Vice President of Player Safety. A guy..... who's primary role was to beat the shit out of people on the ice, is not head of player safety for the NHL...

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
Buchnevich was in a pretty bad position to get jumped on and punched like that. I thought of Bertuzzi and Moore when I saw it.

The way he grabbed Panarin by the head to throw him down wasn't much better, but at that point you can say Wilson is 'defending himself'.

I saw a lot of people saying Wilson needs to use restraint with his size and streangth which made me think about Byfuglien and how he would just grab multiple guys and shove them around when he could have done real damage to guys.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Certain teams get preferential treatment. Just the way it is in all sports imo.

Wilson is a puke who needs a good ass kicking pronto

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Parros as Head of Player Safety jumped out at me even before I read your comment. What a joke.
What happened to Shanahan?
Edit: Not that Shanny was that great or anything. But he wasn't a goon.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tom Wilson is a great player and that hit wasn't even close to dirty. Hope Panarins headache is cured soon.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Well Panarin sort of asked for it by jumping on the guys back

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think there was a bit of hyperbole in the Ranger's message, but it's not unprecedented. Q called the officiating "a disgrace" and got fined for it after calling out Walkom and his lackeys for failing to do anything when Torres tried to end Hossa's career.

I think I get what the Rangers were trying to do there, and I expect them to get fined for it. But I think the DoPS is a joke. They usually have some of the worst offenders as the head of it, and it doesn't seem to operate as an entity separate for the NHL brass. I seem to recall an incident where a star player (during Shanahan's video tenure) get a slap on the wrist that seemed to be motivated by the league not wanting to suspend a cash cow--but my memory is hazy as to the details except that Shanahan didn't do the video--some other ex-player did.

For reasons like this I think there is still somewhat of a need for fighting in the game. Until/unless the NHL applies player safety rules/regulations consistently and even-handedly across the league no matter who commits the egregious act (Be it Crosby or Carcillo), "Frontier justice" will have a place.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Not downplaying the injury here, but the Rangers were eliminated from playoff contention in the game Panarin got hurt, so it's a bit easy for them to shelve him now (why not).

I do feel like Wilson should have gotten something here. At least a game or two. I would have been fine with him being suspended for a playoff game, but we all know this league treats its stars differently, unfortunately.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think I get what the Rangers were trying to do there, and I expect them to get fined for it. But I think the DoPS is a joke. They usually have some of the worst offenders as the head of it, and it doesn't seem to operate as an entity separate for the NHL brass. I seem to recall an incident where a star player (during Shanahan's video tenure) get a slap on the wrist that seemed to be motivated by the league not wanting to suspend a cash cow--but my memory is hazy as to the details except that Shanahan didn't do the video--some other ex-player did.

I think that player was Ovechkin.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
For those who need context.

I don't think any of this happens if wilson doesn't cheap shot Buchnevich after slamming him on the ice, the face slam would have been debatable but untimately momentum and plausible deniability. Unloading to an defenseless guy in the side of the face while laying on the ice is ass. The rest of it is all kind of what happens after these things erupt, still horseshit but yeah. His douchebagery in the penalty box is what it is.

ruprecht

Donator
Liked Posts:
The rematch is tonight.

Star player injured
Out of the playoffs
Agitator not suspended

Goon it up!

Think the Rangers called up a goon too

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Think the Rangers called up a goon too
Are we going to see one of the wonderful puck drops where both teams start their goons and the fight before the game even begins.

ruprecht

Donator
Liked Posts:
Are we going to see one of the wonderful puck drops where both teams start their goons and the fight before the game even begins.

Seems likely, vent the pressure early

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
127 PIMs and counting
3-1. All goals on pp. 3 pp goals wash. 1 shortie for ny

72 penalty minutes in the first 4 minutes, 14 seconds

Last edited: