Tony Dungy breaking it down - why the bears are contenders

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
In this hypothetical, do the Bears have more resources for the O, or does the Defense just get worse by opting out for Covid? Nagy coaches a team that invests heavily in its Defense (much more so than the O), and relies on the part of the team that is heavily invested in to win games. And some of you idiots cite that like its a knock against him. That's called "playing to the teams strength".

There are a lot of valid criticisms of Nagy - the offense has regressed, very questionable clock management, un-healthy mental state with regards to kickers, but "carried by the defense" is such a stupid angle to go for. The FO invested so heavily in the defense so they could carry the team, you meatballs, they are hoping Nagy can just make the O good enough to be carried - if you were expecting a shootout O you came to the wrong stadium. Now if Nagy could just deliver on an offense that is good enough to be reliably carried against good teams...

The problem is his offense is not much better, if any, than John Fox’s offense with a rookie Trubisky and receivers that couldn’t even stick in the league. That’s a problem. Sure, the OL was a bit better during Fox’s time, but you can’t ignore the OL has got progressively worse since he took over.

I can’t give credit for Nagy playing to the teams strength, aka the defense because he literally doesn’t do anything there. He lets his DC handle that and basically reaps the rewards. Also, thank you for pointing out his other serious flaws regarding game management. Questionable play calls, predictable calls, and lack of adjustments could be added as well.

Oh yeah, him admitting to not working on fundamentals with the #2 overall pick who struggled with fundamentals could be considered a monumental failure as well

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
here talking about he should be transforming the offense . Some of you are so disconnected from the realty of the team you follow its crazy .Next year we will be paying 50 million to just the linebackers but somehow we complain about wanting a great offense.

If you form a posse to nail Pace for undervaluing offensive talent, let me know and I'll ride beside you.

In my posts (and those posters like myself), we are absolutely on Nagy for the sloppy technique and bad fundamentals that lead to worse play than should be possible.

Lack of talent is not an excuse to slack on regular coaching for grit, toughness, playing to the whistle and the taking the fight to the opposing DL even when they are super talented.

Lack of talent is not an excuse for multiple OL to be standing tall, back on their heels, not getting low, not getting flat and not even TRYING to ..

I for one would never say the OL should be top ten given the wasted dollars Pace did not spend or even the dollars Pace spent foolishly (Leno)

but they CAN be better than they have been ... and that is literally Nagy's job. Objective truth there.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I’m not delusional and the games are boring af but i don’t take winning seasons for granted no matter how fraudulent it might be

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
....I can see it with this defense, but not with the way Nagy runs the offense. Dude refuses to do what it truly takes to make this a complete team and not have to carry the offense.

A smart coach would look back the past few years and do everything possible to not waste a SB defense. Play to our strengths/hide weaknesses on Offense to balance things out. At least until the O masters SOMETHING positive at all. But Nagy doesn't appear to learn from the past. If anything, he and the offense ride the D's coat tails so hard that they actually come out of these wins feeling like nothing is wrong with that side of the ball.

Year 3 - Zero Identity Offensively.

Dude is delusional... and we're gonna be in that familiar position of winning some, patting ourselves on the back, and then losing when it counts because we can't score with better teams or hold/run the ball when we need to.
When push came to shove, Nagy changed his scheme at the end of 2018 to fit his players better. It may happen again this year but in the meantime he's trying to get them to understand their assignments in his scheme of choice. His play sequencing still sucks but the plays are fine if his players actually executed.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
The identity of this team is defense. Defense that Nagy doesn’t run. Imagine if the Bears had a middle of the road defense? Nagy would be unemployed

Exactly. And the few games the D DOES get scored on and plays just decent instead of outstanding, we'll lose unless the offense gets to average and consistent at SOMETHING.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dungy mentions Bears' run game briefly as if it were part of their nucleus. WTH??

He's right about the defense, but O is a substantial liability. How many games have Bears won so far simply due to opposing WR drops?? How many opponents so far had their #1 WR &/or other key players out injured? Not ungrateful for the Ws, but Bears fans realize this bout of luck can't last. As said, simply approaching an average run game would do wonders.