Too early to look at 2021 QB draft?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Foles will be our QB for the next three years. Trubisky will sign a team friendly back-up QB deal and sit behind Foles. After Foles leaves, Trubisky will have his coming out party and be the pro-bowler (not alternate) that we all knew he could be and also be a top five QB in this league. Trubisky will be hoisting that Lombardy in 2023 & 2024.

:bearstroll::bearstroll::bearstroll::bearstroll::bearstroll:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

The Mitchell Trubisky experiment has not worked out in Chicago.

After three disappointing seasons in the NFL, the writing is on the wall for the No. 2 pick in the 2017 NFL draft to be fazed out of the Bears’ long-term plans once his contract expires. The acquisition of veteran Nick Foles through trade solidifies that Trubisky’s job as the team’s starting quarterback is anything but safe.

The Bears went all out in building a team that was ready to win now, taking advantage of Trubisky’s cheap rookie contract and bringing in accomplished veterans in hopes that the quarterback would make significant steps in time. One of those moves was a trade for All-Pro edge rusher Khalil Mack, which cost the Bears two first-round picks, among other draft selections.

As a result of the Mack trade, Chicago has been without a pick in Round 1 for the past two drafts. That is expected to change in 2021, however, as the Bears currently hold their own selections in the first three rounds of the draft—something they haven’t had since 2016.

This puts them in a great position to bring in their new quarterback of the future, whoever that may be. As is natural, many Bears fans have already begun looking towards what the quarterbacks in the 2021 draft have to offer. As your ever-so-dutiful lead draft analyst here at Windy City Gridiron, I felt obliged to get started on looking at some of the signal-callers in this year’s class, not only to help everyone else get a better understanding of the class, but also because life as a draftnik can only be complete by grinding tape in one’s free time.

Here are some of the quarterbacks I’ve watched that are worth keeping an early eye on for the 2021 NFL draft.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Chicago Bears: 6 QBs to watch for in the 2021 NFL Draft ...

5) KJ Costello.....Costello is not going back to Stanford, choosing instead to transfer to Mississippi State University where he will work with another QB expert in the “Mad Scientist,” Mike Leach. Here he will look to improve upon his 2018 campaign in which he completed 65 percent of his passes while attempting 8.6 yards per pass.

4) Kenny Pickett.....Pickett’s statistics certainly won’t jump off the page at you. In fact, he only threw for 3,098 yards, 13 touchdowns, and 9 interceptions last season. However, he attended the prestigious Manning Passing Academy where he impressed a number in attendance, putting him squarely on the radar of NFL teams.

3) Brock Purdy.......According to the article, in a Matt Nagy style offense, to be able to quickly diagnose the defense and where the quarterbacks mismatches are. Purdy has shown an impressive ability to do just that while hanging in the pocket and going through his progressions. However, he has shown that he has more than enough athleticism to get outside the pocket and make plays with his feet when necessary.

2)Trey Lance......

Yes, he played in the FCS for North Dakota State, but Lance put up 2,786 yards while throwing 28 touchdowns and exactly 0 interceptions. Yes, you read that right — his TD/INT ratio last season was 28/0. You don’t put up that kind of ratio unless your decision-making is impeccable — and his is.
You may want to get on board the Trey Lance hype-train because it might not be at the station long.

1) Jamie Newman.....If Newman can do the same things in the SEC that he did at Wake, and do it over the course of an entire season, he is really going to improve his draft status. Newman could be the perfect fit for the Bears based on his skillset (smart, athletic, confident) as well as availability. He could fall right in the sweet spot of where the Bears are expected to draft in the first round.

YoungPA

Liked Posts:
Trade our 2021 1st round pick to the Eagles for Jalen Hurts.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I think the two that I like because I have seen play is the kid who backed up Lawrence and the kit from Texas, Ehlenger. I’d like to see the bears do what Washing Ron did, grab one is the first and another later,

I really hope we take a QB next year, but, not than that, I hope Mitch gets it together and plays to his potential.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm ready for Pace to pull a Mike Ditka for Ricky Williams type deal next year to get us a real deal franchise QB.
I'll kill someone if that happens

Hammer

Liked Posts:
If Bears go after QB in 2021 Draft, they need to get Lawrence or Fields, period.

If they won't be able to get one them, then it would be better to go after top LT prospect in 1st round, and wait for elite QB prospect till 2022.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
This is the problem, with building a team. The Defense should be near or at the top of the League, and they will win you more games and that will once again mean that we will likely be around 8-8 or Better.

In order to get into the top 5 or top 2 in the draft we will need to give away the farm, and if the QB we draft ends up being another Trubisky, then we are yet again looking at 3-4 years before you are ready to give up on the QB or in position to draft another blue ribbon QB.

Trubisky has cost us more than just the 4 years he will end up being here....

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace cost us. Mitch is doing his best. Pace took a stroll down the rabbit hole with Mitch, got tunnel vision and handled that draft like a myopic anxious GM with his FA, draft moves and visit secrecy. I don't dislike Pace overall and liked Mitch but sometimes you just have to let a draft come to you. QBs are difficult to project and there were 3 that were potentially worth the 3rd pick. A couple of traded 4s and a 3 may not have changed a thing for us going into this draft but if Cleveland had traded up to the 49ers for Mitch...

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
consider what we have going on, Foles has a 3 year contract and correct me if i'm wrong but pretty sure he can chose to opt out after any season....trubisky may get one more shot, if he fails...and they discover Foles is an avg. dude trying to run Nagy's rocket science/gadget/smartest OC of all time offense, they HAVE to draft QB 2021, the entire league will know it. They'll need either mitch or foles to play in 2021, you have a deep playoff run defense, are you going to pair that with a rookie in 2021 or is it rebuild time? I watched Chris Simms basically say that Foles is an avg. guy who gets hurt a lot and you never know what you're going to get. He can keep you in a close game and that's it, the Eagles won the Superbowl mostly because Foles CAUGHT a td. Simms also said his mind is blown the Bears didn't trade for Dalton who is clearly better than Foles.

Basically unless Trubisky or Foles somehow emerge as suddenly greater than they've ever been, we'll have 2 more seasons of offensive mediocrity, then another young QB to have hope for. It's as if the Bears mgmt. has a giant bingo tumbler for QB's and just keep missing while all the other teams keep shouting BINGO. I'll put this out there now, Stidham from NE will have more passing TD's than whoever plays for the Bears this season.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think the two that I like because I have seen play is the kid who backed up Lawrence and the kit from Texas, Ehlenger. I’d like to see the bears do what Washing Ron did, grab one is the first and another later,

I really hope we take a QB next year, but, not than that, I hope Mitch gets it together and plays to his potential.

This could end up being a pretty deep QB class if they play this college season out and as many QB's that are projected to have good seasons and be in the 2021 class actually do have those good seasons. But we know how that usually goes to where the QB class always looks like it could be a good one before that college season starts but usually never ends up that way. I know we'll be out of reach for Lawrence and Fields but really interested in T.Lance, J.Newman to see if he can up his play from how good he was at Wake Forest last year and see how much better he can be at Georgia this year and then B.Purdy at Iowa St. Then there's a few guys that could up their draft status like Ehlenger and some others that i'll be watching like KJ Costello going from Stanford to Miss St to play QB for M.Leach.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If Bears go after QB in 2021 Draft, they need to get Lawrence or Fields, period.

If they won't be able to get one them, then it would be better to go after top LT prospect in 1st round, and wait for elite QB prospect till 2022.

I'm not so sure i'd look at it that way even though i'd love to grab a franchise LT. Trey Lance was really really good last year even though it was at North Dakota St, the kid had 0 INT's. and Jamie Newman and Brock Purdy will all be guys that if they have good college seasons they could be 1st round picks in 2021.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
Stop trading away picks, and draft a freaking QB in rounds 1-3 every single freaking year until: The Bears have a very good starter and a very good backup. And, if that changes, then go back to drafting a QB every freaking year in rounds 1-3.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm from North Dakota and Trey Lance is a great QB. Some of the highlights you will get will mostly be him running, but he is a great decision maker/passer. Can't talk to reading defenses as NDSU is a powerhouse and outmatch a lot of teams, but when you are 28 tds to zero ints, he is doing something right. GREAT at read option

[video]

TBF, I have never watched Trey Lance play. But, I’m just not seeing any important aspects of quarterbacking that translates to the NFL.

It looks like the next time Trey Lance has to make a NFL throw into a tight window will be a first. Just count how many times in the highlights when he is actually throwing the announcer says “WIDE OPEN.” These dudes are running free with 7-10 yards of separation.

I like that he is mobile, has experience under center with playaction, and appears to be a good decision maker. But when I watched Wentz play there he JUMPED off the screen with his arm talent, etc. I don’t think Lance has that level of potential. For me, Jordan Love was a MUCH more impressive and quality prospect and possessed many more traits that translate.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
[video]

TBF, I have never watched Trey Lance play. But, I’m just not seeing any important aspects of quarterbacking that translates to the NFL.

It looks like the next time Trey Lance has to make a NFL throw into a tight window will be a first. Just count how many times in the highlights when he is actually throwing the announcer says “WIDE OPEN.” These dudes are running free with 7-10 yards of separation.

I like that he is mobile, has experience under center with playaction, and appears to be a good decision maker. But when I watched Wentz play there he JUMPED off the screen with his arm talent, etc. I don’t think Lance has that level of potential. For me, Jordan Love was a MUCH more impressive and quality prospect and possessed many more traits that translate.

I didn't watch the video but he had 192 completions last year and i'm guessing that video doesn't show all 192 of them so thinking maybe he has had plenty of throws into tight windows but that's just me making an assumption.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hopefully there is a college season for him to back it up, or show that he doesn't quite have it. NDSU is heads and tails better than most their competition talent wise, so it isn't a straight forward easy scouting