Too many holes to literally fill but i am still of the belief that Ryan Poles can do jjjust enough towards plugging most of them now

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
And by now I literally mean this off-season because bears have all the cap money and then some and also so much value at the first pick overall that overall it is a good time to be optimistic that the hole filling will be completed and then a work in process for the time being to get them in shape to be a contending team in the following season meaning 2025!

Holes currently: 3 OL 3 DL 2 LB, 2 WR maybe perhaps 1 S and 2 RB and 1 to 2 TE.

Irregardlessly to this seeming literally impossible to fix in one off-season it can and will be done or he will likely be literally out on his ASS if things don't shape up in a big way before beginning of 2025 because the new team president is not the kind of guy that is ****ing around!

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
And by now I literally mean this off-season because bears have all the cap money and then some and also so much value at the first pick overall that overall it is a good time to be optimistic that the hole filling will be completed and then a work in process for the time being to get them in shape to be a contending team in the following season meaning 2025!

Irregardlessly to this seeming literally impossible to fix in one off-season it can and will be done or he will likely be literally out on his ASS if things don't shape up in a big way before beginning of 2025 because the new team president is not the kind of guy that is ****ing around!
Man…that sure is a ton of holes that need filling!!!

VickAshley✅️verified

Liked Posts:
Man…that sure is a ton of holes that need filling!!!
It is but it also isn't unprobable if Kevin Warren has ignited the proper fire underneath the backside of Ryan Poles to apply the necessary strategies for acquiring specific talents at each position of need would you not decline to be inclined to agree?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It is but it also isn't unprobable if Kevin Warren has ignited the proper fire underneath the backside of Ryan Poles to apply the necessary strategies for acquiring specific talents at each position of need would you not decline to be inclined to agree?
100%…otherwise we may need to fill another hole!!! The one at GM!

VickAshley✅️verified

Liked Posts:
100%…otherwise we may need to fill another hole!!! The one at GM!
From somme accounts the new team president is literally a cold bloodied curb stomping strictally-business minded ruthless cutthroat and that isn't a bad thing because if he makes a Poles hole that is literally cutting bait before it stinks too much to catch any fish. Poles needs to reel in some pretty big marlin if this team is going to eat in 2025!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
To be fair, you don't need to fill all of the holes this offseason and that shouldn't be the aim anyway. Worst case scenario should be 1 hole filled on the OL. 1 hole filled on the DL. Assuming a trade down gets you at least 1 extra 2nd round pick, you have 4 top 64 picks to fill holes. If Poles filled the rest with placeholders, I would be fine with that. Granted, it will be tough to spend the money that needs to be spent, but I think it's overblown how dire the situation is with the Bears roster.

QB- Fields obviously
RB- Herbert is fine. You don't need anything more than a backup, this is not a hole
WR- Claypool and Mooney healthy for a full season isn't as dire as it was to start 2022. If you build the OL, they are probably fine.
TE- Kmet. Don't need anything more than a backup
OL- Have Jones and Jenkins. FA and early draft pick, now you potentially have 4 OL spots filled

DE- you could get Will Anderson to solidify this position. Gipson is serviceable. Robinson could be something.
DT- FA and early draft pick here solidifies this position.
LB- Sanborn here. Eberflus has had success with this position. A 1-year deal a little bigger swing than Morrow would be good enough while you develop another pick
CB- Johnson and Gordon here. Jones and Blackwell looked decent
S- Jackson and Brisker

Nothing that a couple cheap deals couldn't fill until you have more picks next year, and potentially 2 day 1 picks to fill additional holes remaining.

VickAshley✅️verified

Liked Posts:
To be fair, you don't need to fill all of the holes this offseason and that shouldn't be the aim anyway. Worst case scenario should be 1 hole filled on the OL. 1 hole filled on the DL. Assuming a trade down gets you at least 1 extra 2nd round pick, you have 4 top 64 picks to fill holes. If Poles filled the rest with placeholders, I would be fine with that. Granted, it will be tough to spend the money that needs to be spent, but I think it's overblown how dire the situation is with the Bears roster.

QB- Fields obviously
RB- Herbert is fine. You don't need anything more than a backup, this is not a hole
WR- Claypool and Mooney healthy for a full season isn't as dire as it was to start 2022. If you build the OL, they are probably fine.
OL- Have Jones and Jenkins. FA and early draft pick, now you potentially have 4 OL spots filled

DE- you could get Will Anderson to solidify this position. Gipson is serviceable. Robinson could be something.
LB- Sanborn here. Eberflus has had success with this position. A 1-year deal a little bigger swing than Morrow would be good enough while you develop another pick
S- Jackson and Brisker

Nothing that a couple cheap deals couldn't fill until you have more picks next year, and potentially 2 day 1 picks to fill additional holes remaining.
Herbert is very much so less then fine as he is the worst blocker on the offense and is not reliable to expect to catch when he is thrown the ball

Kmet is very slow and lacks the athleticism to always be open as a check down after his blocking assignment and is literally hit and miss in that department

I agree with everything else you said except for what about free agency?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Herbert is very much so less then fine as he is the worst blocker on the offense and is not reliable to expect to catch when he is thrown the ball

Kmet is very slow and lacks the athleticism to always be open as a check down after his blocking assignment and is literally hit and miss in that department

I agree with everything else you said except for what about free agency?
Herbert wouldn't have to block if you got a better OL. And you can think that about Kmet, but he's not going anywhere, so you might as well get used to him.

VickAshley✅️verified

Liked Posts:
Herbert wouldn't have to block if you got a better OL. And you can think that about Kmet, but he's not going anywhere, so you might as well get used to him.
Sensing aggression in the last sentence so I had to reexamine what I had written about Kmet and there is nothing in the post about Kmet being cut I just believe the team will need to put him in a lesser role going forward due to his lack of playmaking ability and more-so his lacking of reliability. Draft an actual MOVE tight end who can literally gut out 3rd and 7 every time on demand and let Kmet's play decide if they literally dump him the following season.

We need competition at the TE position if they are ever going to get back to being close to real competitive competence on the field!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Sensing aggression in the last sentence so I had to reexamine what I had written about Kmet and there is nothing in the post about Kmet being cut I just believe the team will need to put him in a lesser role going forward due to his lack of playmaking ability and more-so his lacking of reliability. Draft an actual MOVE tight end who can literally gut out 3rd and 7 every time on demand and let Kmet's play decide if they literally dump him the following season.

We need competition at the TE position if they are ever going to get back to being close to real competitive competence on the field!
Sorry for the aggression. But Bears fans are obsessed with replacing people that the team clearly aren't going to replace. Poles has said very little as a GM, but the little he has said has praised guys like Braxton Jones and Cole Kmet, by name. Like the team hasn't come out and even said anything 100% in support of the QB, but they have all but said they love Kmet and will look to re-sign him this offseason. Yet, Bears fans are consistently talking about moving or giving competition for Jones and for getting competition for Kmet. It's just not happening.

The move TE stuff is Nagy offensive stuff. The Bears don't run the same stuff where they need a TE in the slot like Graham or Burton. If they play 2 TEs, they better be able to block. This is the Shanahan offense. The same offense GB runs, and doesn't throw to the TE much. The same offense Miami runs and didn't even use Gesicki who was coming off of back to back 700 yard seasons. The same offense Shanahan ran in Atlanta 1 year with 0 TE production. A move TE is not even a position this offense employs, so it's not a need. And Kmet isn't going to be given competition from a regime that has openly said they really like what he does for the team.

napo55

Liked Posts:

QB- Fields obviously

S- Jackson and Brisker

So you're ok with Mooney and Claypool at WR? If Poles followed your advice, he should be tarred and feathered and run out of t own.

Let's hope he has more sense and will do all he can to support Fields with some difference makers (and depth) at this key position. I have to believe he will.

The rest of your analysis seems to be based on hopes and pipe dreams.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
So you're ok with Mooney and Claypool at WR? If Poles followed your advice, he should be tarred and feathered and run out of t own.

Let's hope he has more sense and will do all he can to support Fields with some difference makers (and depth) at this key position. I have to believe he will.

The rest of your analysis seems to be based on hopes and pipe dreams.
Yes. Just like Jacksonville was OK with Christian Kirk and Zay Jones on the way to a 4000 yard season. So was Mahomes with Juju and MVS with 5000 yards. So was Jared Goff with Amon Ra St Brown and DJ Chark. Maybe, just maybe, a guy who put up 1000 yards with 3 different bad QBs and a guy who put up 870 and double digit TDs with a corpse at QB could put up numbers with a QB going into his prime if he had good blocking? Maybe just maybe, OL is the key position? Fields threw for more yards per game with Damiere Byrd getting 1/2 the snaps. Maybe we should protect the guy who's best asset as a passer is throwing the ball down the field.

What about was I said was a pipe dream? Like seriously? This board is filled with mock drafts every 5 minutes of people pulling off ridiculous trades and everyone's signing the top 5 FAs. I mentioned signing 2 top FAs and getting a high 2nd from a trade down and I'm pipe dreaming? LOL.

Like how many resources you want to keep putting into the WR position? You can only spread the ball around so much. You can only throw so many picks at the position before it has diminishing returns. You have Mooney who is solid. You traded the highest possible 2nd round pick for Claypool. Drafted Velus in the 3rd. Now you want to sign FAs and use high draft picks (in bad FA and draft classes, mind you)?

napo55

Liked Posts:
Yes. Just like Jacksonville was OK with Christian Kirk and Zay Jones on the way to a 4000 yard season. So was Mahomes with Juju and MVS with 5000 yards. So was Jared Goff with Amon Ra St Brown and DJ Chark. Maybe, just maybe, a guy who put up 1000 yards with 3 different bad QBs and a guy who put up 870 and double digit TDs with a corpse at QB could put up numbers with a QB going into his prime if he had good blocking? Maybe just maybe, OL is the key position? Fields threw for more yards per game with Damiere Byrd getting 1/2 the snaps. Maybe we should protect the guy who's best asset as a passer is throwing the ball down the field.

What about was I said was a pipe dream? Like seriously? This board is filled with mock drafts every 5 minutes of people pulling off ridiculous trades and everyone's signing the top 5 FAs. I mentioned signing 2 top FAs and getting a high 2nd from a trade down and I'm pipe dreaming? LOL.

Like how many resources you want to keep putting into the WR position? You can only spread the ball around so much. You can only throw so many picks at the position before it has diminishing returns. You have Mooney who is solid. You traded the highest possible 2nd round pick for Claypool. Drafted Velus in the 3rd. Now you want to sign FAs and use high draft picks (in bad FA and draft classes, mind you)?
Will have to agree to disagree. Mooney is a good receiver, but definitely not a No. 1. Claypool has been a disapointment. The fact that receiver savy Pittsburgh decided to let him go speaks volumes/ And Velus is a marginal receiver at best. All but the most biased homer Bear fans agree that this group is at or very near the bottom of the league in talent.

Having invested so much in Justin Fields, it makes zero sense to fail to prioritize supporting him with quality receivers.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

you are out of your mind if you think this

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Will have to agree to disagree. Mooney is a good receiver, but definitely not a No. 1. Claypool has been a disapointment. The fact that receiver savy Pittsburgh decided to let him go speaks volumes/ And Velus is a marginal receiver at best. All but the most biased homer Bear fans agree that this group is at or very near the bottom of the league in talent.

Having invested so much in Justin Fields, it makes zero sense to fail to prioritize supporting him with quality receivers.
I think people look at the roster on paper last year from the beginning of the year and how Claypool performed and think the group is at the bottom of the league. But I already laid out the numbers in another thread. Mooney is a top 35-40 WR in the league. Claypool isn't there, but there's a reason he went for a high 2nd and had multiple suitors. He's a very talented dude. And yes, Velus is marginal at best, but he was also a rookie. And when everyone else was down he provided an adequate threat and led the team in receiving. I'm not saying add nothing.

And the point wasn't that they are good or anything, but you're kidding yourself if you think the Bears traded a high 2nd for Claypool just to go nuts trying to find another WR. Like Poles said, they made the move in large part because this FA class was trash. So, clearly they don't see much help there. They may add a guy there. They may add a high draft pick. But they aren't going to move everyone down the depth chart unless a team gives up a top notch WR. I know there was a bunch of guys that got traded last year, but that's not normal. AJ Brown, Tyreke Hill and Devante Adams don't come available every year. The guys most likely to be on the market (Higgins, Aiyuk, Hopkins, Thomas) are either on contenders that have no reason to blow it up yet or are old and don't move the needle as much as you guys think.

Basically, based on opening day WR roster last year:
Mooney = Mooney
St. Brown = St. Brown
Claypool for 17 games >>> than Claypool for 8 games, especially since he only played more than 42% of the snaps ONCE w/ Fields.
Jones Jr year 2 > Jones Jr year 1.

So basically they just have to add a couple guys better than Smith-Marsette, Pringle, Pettis, and Harry to be a significantly better group. That's really not a hard task in all honesty. Throw in an actual OL that can give Fields time and it may actually be enough for a decent offense. They aren't going to pass for 4500 yards and 30 TDs or anything, but it's definitely not the death of Fields if they don't go crazy adding quality receivers which may or may not even be available.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Claypool has a much better shot at being a WR1 than Mooney. His issue was not knowing the offense. I imagine that isn't an issue after a full off season with Fields.

Bust

Liked Posts:
no team has that many holes newbs. What the Bears really need to do is turn those 6 point losses into wins. That comes with ball bounces, breaks and clutch plays down the stretch.

The 2022 Vikings could have just as easily been a 6 win team. Hard to pull off a 13 win season with a minus 3 point differential, heh.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
What?!