Top WR Free Agents

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They drafted 1 player short of a complete oline. On top of who we still have I don't see them assuring we'll have more oline cuts than we already have. We have 15, 1/3-1/2 already aren't going to make the cut.

I'd be sure we'll try for a FA WR although affordability is an issue and as you said the best won't want to be here. But we're backed into the corner of needing a sure thing WR for this year.

There is some recency bias to this though - with all of us hyper focused on a receiver in the draft. I'd argue that the Bears need O-Line help much more than a receiver.

When I look at the team around fields, I see:

Mooney - 1000 yards and likely more in a vertical passing game
Pringle - deceptively fast receiver who was never given a chance in KC to start.
Jones Jr. - slot WR with straightline speed who will be a mismatch vs linebackers and safeties.
Horsted - fast, underutilized TE who just seems to catch TDs when given a chance, of which he was given extremely few by the previous stupid coaching staff
Montgomery - bruising back who can catch and doesn't go down on first contact
Herbert - Fast, tough running back who can catch, who may actually be a better than Montgomery in this system
Cole Kmet - an "okay" receiving tight end who can also block really well

If Fields is given enough time to throw, and the Bears have a competent offensive system, the Bears offense will be more than functional this year. middle of the pack. They need to upgrade depth for sure, but the biggest upgrade the Bears got was firing Nagy.

Now, do I think this is an explosive group? Highly skeptical. But get the right blocking for Fields, and I can see this team just causing a ton of headaches for other teams. We've seen in his career Rodgers and a bunch of bums at WR win divisions. If Fields can even harness a tenth of his potential this year, the offense will function just fine - so long as he gets time to execute...

Reactions: Myk

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I love it when Mighty Joe Ton talks about 'we' and 'all of us'. Sorry, dude, no.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
There is some recency bias to this though - with all of us hyper focused on a receiver in the draft. I'd argue that the Bears need O-Line help much more than a receiver.

When I look at the team around fields, I see:

Mooney - 1000 yards and likely more in a vertical passing game
Pringle - deceptively fast receiver who was never given a chance in KC to start.
Jones Jr. - slot WR with straightline speed who will be a mismatch vs linebackers and safeties.
Horsted - fast, underutilized TE who just seems to catch TDs when given a chance, of which he was given extremely few by the previous stupid coaching staff
Montgomery - bruising back who can catch and doesn't go down on first contact
Herbert - Fast, tough running back who can catch, who may actually be a better than Montgomery in this system
Cole Kmet - an "okay" receiving tight end who can also block really well

If Fields is given enough time to throw, and the Bears have a competent offensive system, the Bears offense will be more than functional this year. middle of the pack. They need to upgrade depth for sure, but the biggest upgrade the Bears got was firing Nagy.

Now, do I think this is an explosive group? Highly skeptical. But get the right blocking for Fields, and I can see this team just causing a ton of headaches for other teams. We've seen in his career Rodgers and a bunch of bums at WR win divisions. If Fields can even harness a tenth of his potential this year, the offense will function just fine - so long as he gets time to execute...

I've been agreeing with beef block or 3 years suck since it became a thing on CBMB. I agree, give the QB time and any offense looks much better (with some proper scramble drill coaching not our usual " the route is done, I'm out").

We're already sure to cut at least 5, we drafted 4. Some of the draftees can go to PS and some of the cuts will be from who we had and who we already picked up as FA. Maybe once camp starts they see enough cuts to need another FA vet but I don't think they're thinking that right now.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I love it when Mighty Joe Ton talks about 'we' and 'all of us'. Sorry, dude, no.

I wasn't looking for a WR. I'm not one to believe in low round WRs (too many camp heros under my belt to believe that). I'm also rarely someone who gets hyped for any specific college players. I don't watch college so they need a lot of draft hype to catch my attention.

If I'm wanting a specific WR it's a sure thing top 10 with brittle bones. :ROFLMAO:

napo55

Liked Posts:
Pringle was expendable. He is also a character risk. History tells us that he will mess up again, and we would be foolish to count on him.

Other than Mooney, there are only rookies with questionable receiving skills and some second rate vets.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
will fuller would be my preference, assuming he's past his injury concerns from last season....he'd be a great fit in this offense and can be that reliable target for fields

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I wasn't looking for a WR. I'm not one to believe in low round WRs (too many camp heros under my belt to believe that). I'm also rarely someone who gets hyped for any specific college players. I don't watch college so they need a lot of draft hype to catch my attention.

If I'm wanting a specific WR it's a sure thing top 10 with brittle bones. :ROFLMAO:
My apologies this wasn’t meant for you. I would take a chance on will fuller

Reactions: Myk

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We can't afford him? I didn't know me and you owned the Bears.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I think it'll be a depth signing if anything. If you bring in a starter you are just bumping targets down. This won't be a pass happy offense this year. I think Pringle is already better than everyone available, so you are either going to eat into his targets or Jones's targets, which will hinder his development.

The third WR last year for the Packers had 28 catches. I'd like to see Pringle and Jones get more than that. If you bring in another one of these receivers somebody isn't getting a lot of run. Getsy won't run many 4 WR sets.

Bust

Liked Posts:
INVITE HIM TO CAMP! MOFO 48 YEARS OLD . . . WOW!@

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it'll be a depth signing if anything. If you bring in a starter you are just bumping targets down. This won't be a pass happy offense this year. I think Pringle is already better than everyone available, so you are either going to eat into his targets or Jones's targets, which will hinder his development.

The third WR last year for the Packers had 28 catches. I'd like to see Pringle and Jones get more than that. If you bring in another one of these receivers somebody isn't getting a lot of run. Getsy won't run many 4 WR sets.
Thank fucking god.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Bears don’t need any slot WRs, so you can remove a lot of the guys you listed. Personally, I love the idea of adding Julio Jones. He is still a freak of nature - but can’t seem to shake a persistent hamstring injury. I love the idea of splitting reps between Julio and St. Brown. Julio can stay healthy and St. Brown can develop.

A simple one year deal with incentives until the Bears address the #1 WR in the draft next season.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Has Julio Jones really fell of that far?

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Has Julio Jones really fell of that far?
No. He’s just been questionable with a hamstring for nearly 2 entire seasons. He looks like his old dominant self for stretches, but it’s hard to dedicate a bunch of money to a guy who can’t make it through a season.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Julio Jones
Jarvis Landry
Odell Beckham Jr
Emmanuel Sanders
Cole Beasley
T.Y. Hilton
Will Fuller
Antonio Brown
Marquise Goodwin
Adam Humphries