Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the TDL was decent.

Looking FWD to the expansion draft though, it'll be interesting what the 'hawks do:

Goaltending is a no-brainer: Everyone meets exposure requirements. Lock in the guy you don't want to lose and anyone other than Lankinen is a mistake at this point.

FWDs, they have to expose two of Debrincat, Strome, Connelly, or Carpenter and they have to protect Kane and Toews. Anyone else is auto-protected, or doesn't meet the games played or contract signed through 2022 requirement. I think it's obvious Debrincat, Strome, Kane, and Toews get protection, but I'd like to see who else gets it.

For the D: Keith and Seabs have to be protected. They can protect someone else. Murph and DeHaan meet the exposure requirements so it's obvious who the 1 sacrificial lamb on D should be. I think that might expose Zadorov though--even though he's not signed through and doesn't meet exposure requirements. Assuming the 'hawks don't got the 8skater/1goalie route, I think they have to be somewhat worried that they might lose Zadorov even if he's not signed through next season. I think he's more useful than DeHaan and an RFA. I don't know of any other player Seattle would be champing at the bit to get off of the 'hawks exposed roster especially since they have FWD protection slots to spare.

I'm guessing that Connelly, Carpenter and probably Hino will be exposed as well as any goalie not named Lankinen. As for the defensemen, I haven't heard anything but I would think the NHL will place some sort of exemption on Seabrook as you can catagorize him as having a career ending injury. I highly doubt the league will force the Hawks to protect an injury induced retiree. Also nice being loaded with so many exempt young players.

Regardless, I really don't think the Kraken draft will do any significant damage to the rebuild.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stan finally figured out its better to expose a player with salary than a bowey, so as to get them to the bargaining table and get something back for a player.

Connolly/Suppan/DeHaan/Carpenter/Hino/Strome

All sound like good options to me. Strome to kraken is as efficient as any other way to get him out of here, best for both parties as I don't think he fits the Hawks very well.

But...what I'd really like is to leave them shit for options so they have to bargain a trade and send something back to us.

Kubalik-Toees-Hagel
SUTER-Dach-Kane
Cat-Borg-Kurashev/Reichel
Carp-Kampf-Reichel/Kurashev

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stan finally figured out its better to expose a player with salary than a bowey, so as to get them to the bargaining table and get something back for a player.

Connolly/Suppan/DeHaan/Carpenter/Hino/Strome

All sound like good options to me. Strome to kraken is as efficient as any other way to get him out of here, best for both parties as I don't think he fits the Hawks very well.

But...what I'd really like is to leave them shit for options so they have to bargain a trade and send something back to us.

Kubalik-Toees-Hagel
SUTER-Dach-Kane
Cat-Borg-Kurashev/Reichel
Carp-Kampf-Reichel/Kurashev
What'd you do with Strome and why do you have D-Cat in the bottom six?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm guessing that Connelly, Carpenter and probably Hino will be exposed as well as any goalie not named Lankinen. As for the defensemen, I haven't heard anything but I would think the NHL will place some sort of exemption on Seabrook as you can catagorize him as having a career ending injury. I highly doubt the league will force the Hawks to protect an injury induced retiree. Also nice being loaded with so many exempt young players.

Regardless, I really don't think the Kraken draft will do any significant damage to the rebuild.
I heard some rumblings that the league *might* waive for players on LTIR who aren't expected to play again, but until a league announcement I'm assuming, "No." After all, the 'hawks *did* sign him to that deal and all Seabs has to do is leave millions on the table and retire. We'll see though. I would love it if the 'hawks did get an exemption for Seabrook since they could protect Zadorov (who I don't think has been that bad, maybe not what we wanted/needed, but not that bad) and leave DeHaan exposed.

One thing to consider is even though guys are exposed, there are requirements that have to be met for who they have to expose--and one of those requirements is being signed through 2022. Zadorov, Hinny, Gaudette, Kampf, Hagel, and Nylander all have the games played requirements, but they expire this year and don't go towards the exposure requirement whether or not the 'hawks protect them or not.

So while the 'hawks can indeed expose them or protect them, they also would have to ensure someone who meets the requirements is exposed to be compliant--guys like Debrincat, Strome, Carpenter, Connelly, Murphy, or DeHaan (2 FWDs & 1 Dman--and I didn't include the NMC's which *have* to be protected unless they waive). Also, since all of the previous guys in the previous paragraph are expiring at the end of this season (barring a contract extension), there's also the chance that Seattle (or anyone else) can just wait for their contracts to expire and sign them that way, or offer-sheet them instead of wasting a expansion draft pick on them. Again, we'll see. I think every team out there wants to learn from what happened with Vegas and again, leave scraps to be plundered. The 'hawks are no different.

Looking at the 'hawks and who they may/may not leave exposed, I think the one most fans want gone is DeHaan. His play vs. Salary is much too low and he's blocking some youth. But then, why would Seattle want him? They could take on, say Subban as a serviceable backup (assuming Lankinen is not exposed, and Stan would be a right fuckwit if he did that), They could take a risk on trying to re-sign guys like Hinny or Zadorov if they use their pick on them. They could also try a Vegas tactic and strong-arm a trade out of Chicago by getting us to send someone over they might not be able to pick (i.e. Boqvist, Beaudin, Suter, Mitchell, or the like) so they take DeHaan, or someone else expendable and not a plyer the 'hawks have exposed and would like to keep.

It'll be interesting. I think the 'hawks did quite well in the Vegas expansion and are set up quite well for the Seattle expansion
could Seabrook waive his NTC?
To directly answer your question: Yes, Seabrook could waive. However, Seattle is under no obligation to take him, and he's under no obligation to waive. I would have to wonder why Seattle would consider taking him when he's effectively dead cap space.

Being pedantic: it's not the NTC, it's the NMC part of the contract that obligates a team to protect a player. If a player has a NTC of any sort without an NMC, they can be protected or exposed by the team at the team's whims. If they have an NMC they have to be protected by the team unless the player themselves decides to waive. It might be a pedantic point but it's an important distinction in terms of who has to be protected.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
could Seabrook waive his NTC?
Maybe others can but I NEVER recall a player officially announce his retirement and remain on the roster as a LTIR. Guys like Hossa and Horton and a few others expressly COULDN'T officially announce their retirement in order to stay on LTIR.
I guess a lack of recapture enters into this situation and the team more than likely came to terms with Seabs but I doubt he's stays on LTIR for more than one more year as compensation.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I heard some rumblings that the league *might* waive for players on LTIR who aren't expected to play again, but until a league announcement I'm assuming, "No." After all, the 'hawks *did* sign him to that deal and all Seabs has to do is leave millions on the table and retire. We'll see though. I would love it if the 'hawks did get an exemption for Seabrook since they could protect Zadorov (who I don't think has been that bad, maybe not what we wanted/needed, but not that bad) and leave DeHaan exposed.

One thing to consider is even though guys are exposed, there are requirements that have to be met for who they have to expose--and one of those requirements is being signed through 2022. Zadorov, Hinny, Gaudette, Kampf, Hagel, and Nylander all have the games played requirements, but they expire this year and don't go towards the exposure requirement whether or not the 'hawks protect them or not.

So while the 'hawks can indeed expose them or protect them, they also would have to ensure someone who meets the requirements is exposed to be compliant--guys like Debrincat, Strome, Carpenter, Connelly, Murphy, or DeHaan (2 FWDs & 1 Dman--and I didn't include the NMC's which *have* to be protected unless they waive). Also, since all of the previous guys in the previous paragraph are expiring at the end of this season (barring a contract extension), there's also the chance that Seattle (or anyone else) can just wait for their contracts to expire and sign them that way, or offer-sheet them instead of wasting a expansion draft pick on them. Again, we'll see. I think every team out there wants to learn from what happened with Vegas and again, leave scraps to be plundered. The 'hawks are no different.

Looking at the 'hawks and who they may/may not leave exposed, I think the one most fans want gone is DeHaan. His play vs. Salary is much too low and he's blocking some youth. But then, why would Seattle want him? They could take on, say Subban as a serviceable backup (assuming Lankinen is not exposed, and Stan would be a right fuckwit if he did that), They could take a risk on trying to re-sign guys like Hinny or Zadorov if they use their pick on them. They could also try a Vegas tactic and strong-arm a trade out of Chicago by getting us to send someone over they might not be able to pick (i.e. Boqvist, Beaudin, Suter, Mitchell, or the like) so they take DeHaan, or someone else expendable and not a plyer the 'hawks have exposed and would like to keep.

It'll be interesting. I think the 'hawks did quite well in the Vegas expansion and are set up quite well for the Seattle expansion

To directly answer your question: Yes, Seabrook could waive. However, Seattle is under no obligation to take him, and he's under no obligation to waive. I would have to wonder why Seattle would consider taking him when he's effectively dead cap space.

Being pedantic: it's not the NTC, it's the NMC part of the contract that obligates a team to protect a player. If a player has a NTC of any sort without an NMC, they can be protected or exposed by the team at the team's whims. If they have an NMC they have to be protected by the team unless the player themselves decides to waive. It might be a pedantic point but it's an important distinction in terms of who has to be protected.
To the bolded Lord,didn't Seabs already officially retire?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To the bolded Lord,didn't Seabs already officially retire?
I think the official wording was a lot like Hossa's: He is not going to play again but so far didn't officially retire. Some media outlets announced it as retirement. I believe from the 'hawks and NHL directly they used the works, "not going to play again" which i think its an important distinction.

According to CapFriendly, he's still on the books under LTIR--at least as of now. He may not be a recapture risk but, negating this season, he's still got $15.5M of actual salary due to him. That's a lot to walk away from if he retires. If he's on LTIR he can still collect the salary. The counterpoint is that his cap hit does affect the offseason overage if he's LTIR'ed.

I think this summer will be telling for Seabrook and his status, but I don't think Seattle would take him even if he waived since he's not playing again. Why would they pull in $6.8M in dead cap when they'll want warm bodies on the ice?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From what I understand, the player has the final say on the NMC. And while Seabrook gave his all here for the Hawks, his only NHL team.....they still made him a millionaire with a financial life he could've only dreamed of. I see no reason why he wouldn't work with the Hawks on this.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what I understand, the player has the final say on the NMC. And while Seabrook gave his all here for the Hawks, his only NHL team.....they still made him a millionaire with a financial life he could've only dreamed of. I see no reason why he wouldn't work with the Hawks on this.

I hope you're right. He seems like the kind of guy that would work with them.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the official wording was a lot like Hossa's: He is not going to play again but so far didn't officially retire. Some media outlets announced it as retirement. I believe from the 'hawks and NHL directly they used the works, "not going to play again" which i think its an important distinction.

According to CapFriendly, he's still on the books under LTIR--at least as of now. He may not be a recapture risk but, negating this season, he's still got $15.5M of actual salary due to him. That's a lot to walk away from if he retires. If he's on LTIR he can still collect the salary. The counterpoint is that his cap hit does affect the offseason overage if he's LTIR'ed.

I think this summer will be telling for Seabrook and his status, but I don't think Seattle would take him even if he waived since he's not playing again. Why would they pull in $6.8M in dead cap when they'll want warm bodies on the ice?
Looking up 'Seabrook announces retirement' shows many articles with a headline that says exactly that...
seabrook announces retirement - Bing
His statement says "it will not be possible for me to continue playing hockey",it doesn't really mention the word retirement so maybe you're on to something......
Chicago Blackhawks' Brent Seabrook announces retirement after 15-year career, including 3 Stanley Cups - ABC7 Chicago
Didn't the other players who knew they'd never play again that had their contracts traded at least have to have the premise of playing again to be able to stay on LTIR even though everyone knew it'd never happen?

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looking up 'Seabrook announces retirement' shows many articles with a headline that says exactly that...
seabrook announces retirement - Bing
His statement says "it will not be possible for me to continue playing hockey",it doesn't really mention the word retirement so maybe you're on to something......
Chicago Blackhawks' Brent Seabrook announces retirement after 15-year career, including 3 Stanley Cups - ABC7 Chicago
Didn't the other players who knew they'd never play again that had their contracts traded at least have to have the premise of playing again to be able to stay on LTIR even though everyone knew it'd never happen?

I don't recall all the details, but it seems similar to the Hoss situation.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think by retiring,Seabs DID work with the team and I believe paying him through LTIR for some agreed upon length of time was compensation for doing so. Since he said he'd never play again,I see no reason why he wouldn't waive to help the team BUT I also see no reason Seattle would pick up that contract if he did.
If he was on a front loaded 6.8M hit/1M salary deal,it would make sense but trade for that contract and Seabs is due almost all of it in bonuses for some reason. SB couldn't have negotiated a worse deal as far as term,money,clauses and the bonus structure and it looks Seabs will let him off the hook for a lot of what's left.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Big Hoss was on a recapture deal and if I'm not mistaken he still can't officially retire until it expires at the end of this season in order to keep the LTIR designation.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think by retiring,Seabs DID work with the team and I believe paying him through LTIR for some agreed upon length of time was compensation for doing so. Since he said he'd never play again,I see no reason why he wouldn't waive to help the team BUT I also see no reason Seattle would pick up that contract if he did.
If he was on a front loaded 6.8M hit/1M salary deal,it would make sense but trade for that contract and Seabs is due almost all of it in bonuses for some reason. SB couldn't have negotiated a worse deal as far as term,money,clauses and the bonus structure and it looks Seabs will let him off the hook for a lot of what's left.

I don't think the point is whether or not the Kracken draft him.....I think it's more along the lines of another dman being protected instead of Seabs. The funny part is you can protect 3.....that's Keith, Murphy and ??? The young guys are already protected by the Experience rule, so that leaves DeHann and Zadorov. Yuch. I guess you protect DeHann. Zadorov will be a FA, so why would they draft him when they could just sign him if they want him. Then again, from the Hawks point of view....maybe you protect Zadorov and his expiring contract and hope the Kracken draft De Hann. That way they'd be rid of both of them.

Granada

Liked Posts:

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Similar, but different criteria:

If Hossa would've officially retired, the 'hawks would've been eating his cap advantage for the years remaining. However, Hossa made $1M in actual salary his last 4 years of his deal, so he'd walk away from $4M max if he officially retired, whereas the 'hawks would have had a cap penalty for ~$4M per year.

Seabrook is not a recapture risk contract (Keith is the only one left), so if he retires, nothing happened to the 'hawks cap. Seabrook would, however, walk away from $15.5M in actual salary if he retired this summer. That would be 4x the amount Hossa would have left on the table. That's a lot of cash. If the 'hawks do Seabs right (and why wouldn't they?) they'll try to ensure he gets the remaining salary however his situation plays out.
Big Hoss was on a recapture deal and if I'm not mistaken he still can't officially retire until it expires at the end of this season in order to keep the LTIR designation.
See above...:)
I don't think the point is whether or not the Kracken draft him.....I think it's more along the lines of another dman being protected instead of Seabs. The funny part is you can protect 3.....that's Keith, Murphy and ??? The young guys are already protected by the Experience rule, so that leaves DeHann and Zadorov. Yuch. I guess you protect DeHann. Zadorov will be a FA, so why would they draft him when they could just sign him if they want him. Then again, from the Hawks point of view....maybe you protect Zadorov and his expiring contract and hope the Kracken draft De Hann. That way they'd be rid of both of them.
That's if Seabrook officially retires before expansion, or the league has some waiver for permanent LTIR players. If not, they're obligated to protect Seabs per the NMC rules. However, yes, Seabrook could waive. The more I think about it, if the team is not given a grace for Perma-LTIR players, the more I think he might do the 'hawks a solid because I can't concieve of any reason the Karens would take on Seabs.

Assuming that they don't protect him because he waives, retires, or the league give the 'hawks some grace, you're right--that have an extra protection slot and could protect Zadorov, DeHaan, or whomever. I think, much like @Granada posted, they'll leave DeHaan unprotected. If Seabrook has to be protected...then I think They protect him, Murph, and Keith and take their chances on Zadorov.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What'd you do with Strome and why do you have D-Cat in the bottom six?
I traded Strome to the Kraken for a second round pick for leaving him unprotected instead of Hino.
I guess I will rethink El Gato...

but Suter is there because Dach can't win faceoffs too good yet and he doesn't fit a 200 foot line with Toews.

So you get the heart of a third scoring line and put him on first power play...let him play some line rotisserie and jump in often like Kaner to balance out his minutes and keep the opposition from making a plan for him.

Probably only him and Kane are good enough offensively to be doing that with. There are certain game situations I would probably flip flop Cat and Suter there...yeah?
I think ultimately Harry Potter has us headed toward optimizing situational hockey, but with the thin depth this year he backed off of it and had to get some continuity?

Hagel/Suter/Cat-Toews-Kubalik
Suter/draft/sign/trade/Cat-Dach-Kane
Cat/Borg/Kurashev/Reichel/Nylander/Suter
Carp-Kampf-Nylander/Kurashev/Reichel...etc