Trade Deadline/Future Line discussion

Granada

Liked Posts:
I don't see it. DeHaan is a $4M defender who's a liability in the backend. Unless the 'hawks sweeten the deal so Seattle takes him, There is virtually no reason to take him over just about everyone else that'll be exposed--including the guys needing a contract. The only possible reason I could see is if they needed to pad the cap-from-expansion number...and there are better players on other teams for that.

He's less of a liability on the back end than Subban/Delia in net at this point; much more proven in his position. I imagine the Kraken will want a player that they believe is at least decent or, more importantly, serviceable, than one that is a work in progress and/or an unknown. $4 mill for a D-man isn't all that astronomical, but yeah, there could be better options available for them.

The only way they pick Subban is for a backup, and even then, I wouldn't if I were them. I really can't see them taking Delia for either a starter or backup.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't see it. DeHaan is a $4M defender who's a liability in the backend. Unless the 'hawks sweeten the deal so Seattle takes him, There is virtually no reason to take him over just about everyone else that'll be exposed--including the guys needing a contract. The only possible reason I could see is if they needed to pad the cap-from-expansion number...and there are better players on other teams for that.
4.55M my friend......it'll take a LOT of sweetener,as it will with Brett 'buyout' Connolly!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I forgot about Stillman if they protect him that leaves Z and DeHaan.
Right now all indications are they protect Keith, Seabrook, and Murphy. I don't think they use the 8 FWD protection scheme, and there is no word from the league that players like Seabrook will get a protection grace.
He's less of a liability on the back end than Subban/Delia in net at this point; much more proven in his position. I imagine the Kraken will want a player that they believe is at least decent or, more importantly, serviceable, than one that is a work in progress and/or an unknown. $4 mill for a D-man isn't all that astronomical, but yeah, there could be better options available for them.

The only way they pick Subban is for a backup, and even then, I wouldn't if I were them. I really can't see them taking Delia for either a starter or backup.
I disagree. He's got an injury history and was a major weakness in the backend with a high salary to boot, and I wouldn't call him decent or serviceable unless the team is desperate, and given the D-men who will be available in expansion, they got plenty of choices around his salary rater that are better defenders who will be available.

Not to mention that Subban and Delia are in the same general realm of all of the other backups which might be exposed in the league...plus they didn't look that bad behind the fecal-fest that was the 'hawks team D.

With all of the players the 'hawks could/will expose, I think Stillman, Zadorov, Carpenter, Connely, Strome, Subban, Delia, Kampf, and even Nylander might get a bigger look than DeHaan.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Right now all indications are they protect Keith, Seabrook, and Murphy. I don't think they use the 8 FWD protection scheme, and there is no word from the league that players like Seabrook will get a protection grace.

I disagree. He's got an injury history and was a major weakness in the backend with a high salary to boot, and I wouldn't call him decent or serviceable unless the team is desperate, and given the D-men who will be available in expansion, they got plenty of choices around his salary rater that are better defenders who will be available.

Not to mention that Subban and Delia are in the same general realm of all of the other backups which might be exposed in the league...plus they didn't look that bad behind the fecal-fest that was the 'hawks team D.

With all of the players the 'hawks could/will expose, I think Stillman, Zadorov, Carpenter, Connely, Strome, Subban, Delia, Kampf, and even Nylander might get a bigger look than DeHaan.

Your last paragraph is a separate argument. I was speaking about Dehaan, Subban, and Delia specifically. Out of those three, Dehaan is the best option, ability-wise; and it's not even close.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Your last paragraph is a separate argument. I was speaking about Dehaan, Subban, and Delia specifically. Out of those three, Dehaan is the best option, ability-wise; and it's not even close.
Disagree. Subban and Delia can be NHL backups. DeHaan was beaten out by all 3 rookie defensemen we iced this year.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I think if the add is a third round pick with CDH you do it.

The Kraken will need to hit the cap floor and like it or not CDH will have value at the trade deadline with retention.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
People forget that CDH was actually very good when he was in NY. Since this is the way Stan scouts players there's hope some GM will look at what CDH did six years ago and trade on that.

Stan does

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The Kraken will need to hit the cap floor and like it or not CDH will have value at the trade deadline with retention.
The fact that de HAAN only has one year left might be a saving grace and the cap floor issue is a valid point.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

People forget that CDH was actually very good when he was in NY. Since this is the way Stan scouts players there's hope some GM will look at what CDH did six years ago and trade on that.

Stan does

The fact that de HAAN only has one year left might be a saving grace and the cap floor issue is a valid point.
Hitting all of these:

There is a flat cap and a good amount of players that have inflated caps plus are not fake tits on a zombie level of useless. Thus I don't think they take DeHaan for cap reasons. Plus, they have to take a certain amount of cap in expansion vs signings.

But, if the 'hawks sweeten the pot I could see them taking him off our hands...but it'll likely be someobe worthwhile (who though?)

Plus, I'm not assuming Seattle's GM is going to look solely at past performance over recent performance plus injury history. Like our resident accountant will. I think DeHaan will require a sweetener if they are to take him. If that doesn't happen (like they ask for Hagel) I think they'll puck someone else. Otherwise it would be like taking Cam Barker in his twilight years in expansion IMHO. Oft injured and there's better to be had.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Hitting all of these:

There is a flat cap and a good amount of players that have inflated caps plus are not fake tits on a zombie level of useless. Thus I don't think they take DeHaan for cap reasons. Plus, they have to take a certain amount of cap in expansion vs signings.

But, if the 'hawks sweeten the pot I could see them taking him off our hands...but it'll likely be someobe worthwhile (who though?)

Plus, I'm not assuming Seattle's GM is going to look solely at past performance over recent performance plus injury history. Like our resident accountant will. I think DeHaan will require a sweetener if they are to take him. If that doesn't happen (like they ask for Hagel) I think they'll puck someone else. Otherwise it would be like taking Cam Barker in his twilight years in expansion IMHO. Oft injured and there's better to be had.
I agree, but I also think it will only take a mid round pick to get him gone.

CDH can play top four minutes, not quality top four minutes but still enough so the Kracken can flip him for something more at the deadline.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree, but I also think it will only take a mid round pick to get him gone.

CDH can play top four minutes, not quality top four minutes but still enough so the Kracken can flip him for something more at the deadline.
If DeHaan could have played poor-quality top-4 minutes (Which he unfortunately did) and have been flipped at the deadline...the 'hawks would have done so. The fact that they didn't is either because (a) Bowman the Beancounter didn't even try to move him in spite of almost every other defender looking better than him on defense or (b) no one wanted him.

I think talking DeHaan off of our hands will require us sending a can't-miss prospect or a decent player that can stay in the lineup--not a mid-round pick.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
If DeHaan could have played poor-quality top-4 minutes (Which he unfortunately did) and have been flipped at the deadline...the 'hawks would have done so. The fact that they didn't is either because (a) Bowman the Beancounter didn't even try to move him in spite of almost every other defender looking better than him on defense or (b) no one wanted him.

I think talking DeHaan off of our hands will require us sending a can't-miss prospect or a decent player that can stay in the lineup--not a mid-round pick.
Sure, but....

Next year is his contract year. His deadline value will be at his highest and I'm sure the Kraken will see that, just as I'm sure a contender wouldn't mind having the guy eating hot dogs in the press box just in case.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Disagree. Subban and Delia can be NHL backups. DeHaan was beaten out by all 3 rookie defensemen we iced this year.

So let me just get this straight: ability-wise, at their respective positions, you believe Delia/Subban is better than De Haan? I'm understanding that correctly, right? If so, I completely disagree and don't get what you're basing that on at all.

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:

Stan does

Right, and he has playoff experience to boot. Good size and is physical as well. Teams would take him; same with Murphy. I think it's silly to think the guy is essentially done and/or completely useless (simply because he sucked here); on the right team, he could be productive. Look at Rutta with Tampa, Kempny on Washington, etc.

Granada

Liked Posts:

Pretty sure he was injured.

Also, they wouldn't want to trade him if they're planning on exposing him to the Kraken. Even if the Kraken doesn't choose him, he's still valuable in that he fulfills an offering spot; and he only has one year left on his contract.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty sure he was injured.

Also, they wouldn't want to trade him if they're planning on exposing him to the Kraken. Even if the Kraken doesn't choose him, he's still valuable in that he fulfills an offering spot; and he only has one year left on his contract.
The 'hawks had Bowey and they have Stillman which meets the exposure requirement for defensemen. The 'hawks did not have to keep DeHaan.

Plus, DeHaan's injury history would make him suspect.

Right, and he has playoff experience to boot. Good size and is physical as well. Teams would take him; same with Murphy. I think it's silly to think the guy is essentially done and/or completely useless (simply because he sucked here); on the right team, he could be productive. Look at Rutta with Tampa, Kempny on Washington, etc.
Kempny was good here. He was our best d-man in 2017/2018.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The 'hawks had Bowey and they have Stillman which meets the exposure requirement for defensemen. The 'hawks did not have to keep DeHaan.

Plus, DeHaan's injury history would make him suspect.

Kempny was good here. He was our best d-man in 2017/2018.

Stillman was not yet signed by the deadline (for next year). He was signed afterward (on the 25th).

Kempny, overall, was a failure here.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see what happens if Suppan, CDH, Connolly, Murphy, Toews and Strome are all left exposed.

If Toews won't allow it who do we leave exposed?

I see no real harm in any I mentioned, except maybe Strome is on a good contract.

Maybe Carp is the other guy.
Its about assets . You can get plenty for Murp , and some for strome. so you would rather move them after exp draft

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Stillman was not yet signed by the deadline (for next year). He was signed afterward (on the 25th).

Kempny, overall, was a failure here.
Here? Yes.

But during the Caps Cup run Kempny was a stud for them. He played alot of first pairing minutes and was a crunch time warrior during the finals.

And then he got paid....

Bust

Liked Posts:
Here? Yes.

But during the Caps Cup run Kempny was a stud for them. He played alot of first pairing minutes and was a crunch time warrior during the finals.

And then he got paid....

Trevor Daley as well. Stan got him for D man help but Q wouldn't play him so Stan shipped him off to the Penguins and he ended up playing first line minutes for them and got himself a ring, lol.

Over on the HF-hockey boards that is crazy populated with hockey nerds, they used to bash Coach Q for not playing them back in the day. On this side of the boards it just takes a few threads to realize Q is an untouchable here for the vast majority of posters, lol.

Last edited: