Trade Deadline/Future Line discussion

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
Never understood the Trevor one, think thats when things really went off rail with Q and Stan.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Never understood the Trevor one, think thats when things really went off rail with Q and Stan.
That and Hammer?

I honestly think losing Sharp is what killed this team. Think his influence had alot to do with chemistry.

That and the Hawks as a team losing that "see that Beautiful man? He's my friend" edge.....

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Janmark filling in on a first line for Vegas yesterday.

I dont get Bowman.

Janmark is a power left wing who wins 50% faceoffs.

Lehnar was a 1 a/b.

Both are past, present, and now future needs. We had them and didn't sign them. I dont think we have a chance in hell of finding those needs with the picks acquired.

I don't get it.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Trevor Daley as well. Stan got him for D man help but Q wouldn't play him so Stan shipped him off to the Penguins and he ended up playing first line minutes for them and got himself a ring, lol.

Over on the HF-hockey boards that is crazy populated with hockey nerds, they used to bash Coach Q for not playing them back in the day. On this side of the boards it just takes a few threads to realize Q is an untouchable here for the vast majority of posters, lol.

What a silly post. I just criticized him a few days ago for how he handled the goaltending and Yandle situation in Florida and no one here has even slightly indicated he was/is the perfect coach. Nice try though.

Daley was good on a much deeper Pitt team. Shocker. Lol.

Last edited:

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That and Hammer?

I honestly think losing Sharp is what killed this team. Think his influence had alot to do with chemistry.

That and the Hawks as a team losing that "see that Beautiful man? He's my friend" edge.....
I think Hossa going was the end....he was for sure heading back toward the clubhouse on the back 9 of his career, but it sure looked like he was the last bit of glue holding the remains of the Cups team together.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What a silly post. I just criticized him a few days ago for how he handled the goaltending and Yandle situation in Florida and no one here has even slightly indicated he was/is the perfect coach. Nice try though.

Daley was good on a much deeper Pitt team. Shocker. Lol.
Daley also admitted he was going through a tough time with his mother's cancer diagnosis right after he got here and his head wasn't in it.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Daley also admitted he was going through a tough time with his mother's cancer diagnosis right after he got here and his head wasn't in it.
Never knew that.....

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Hossa going was the end....he was for sure heading back toward the clubhouse on the back 9 of his career, but it sure looked like he was the last bit of glue holding the remains of the Cups team together.
That very well could've be the last straw....but when you look back at it all....the cap mismanagement forcing the team to nickels on the dollar returns for valuable players, after 3 Cups the pulse for winning another gets weaker, the players aging and probably most importantly just how difficult it is to win a Stanley Cup. So many things have to fall in place for it to happen. They had the best 10 years of hockey this city has ever known....you can't ask for much more than that.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
That very well could've be the last straw....but when you look back at it all....the cap mismanagement forcing the team to nickels on the dollar returns for valuable players, after 3 Cups the pulse for winning another gets weaker, the players aging and probably most importantly just how difficult it is to win a Stanley Cup. So many things have to fall in place for it to happen. They had the best 10 years of hockey this city has ever known....you can't ask for much more than that.

Toughest trophy to win in all the major sports. Takes everything to win 1.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup. and unlike most of the other major sports in the US, you can't win it with just a superstar or two. Just look at Edmonton.
Poster children, sir

Bust

Liked Posts:
Yup. and unlike most of the other major sports in the US, you can't win it with just a superstar or two. Just look at Edmonton.

So basically you are saying it doesn't pay to have 2 guys on a roster taking up over 20 million cause that's how the Oilers are built...like the Hawks with Toews and Kane.

I says to a Black co-worker back in the day who was a huge hockey fan, once those duo 10.5 cap hits trigger duh cup runs are over.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Watching Islanders pens. If anyone wants to staple their nuts to a table tonight and revisit the leddy trade here is a nice recap.

Yes I know it was a salary dump.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
Watching Islanders pens. If anyone wants to staple their nuts to a table tonight and revisit the leddy trade here is a nice recap.

Bad trip down memory lane Mass

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I just threw up a little reading that.

But, but, but... we got Boqvist now!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The sheer amount of nothingness we got back for leddy is incredible. I don't remind who the other choices would have been if any though.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So basically you are saying it doesn't pay to have 2 guys on a roster taking up over 20 million cause that's how the Oilers are built...like the Hawks with Toews and Kane.

I says to a Black co-worker back in the day who was a huge hockey fan, once those duo 10.5 cap hits trigger duh cup runs are over.
It's not about the cash primarily, it's about how a team is built. Pittsburgh has had 18.2M tied up in Crosby and Malkin for a long time and they have been good in recent years. Conversely, Washington has been paying out the ass for Ovechkin and they have what? 1 cup in how many years Ovechkin has been in the league?

Pittsburgh, and the cup-era 'hawks were built with depth in mind. Edmonton, and the current 'hawks are built on the assumption that the superstar(s) can do it all, and they are betting on the superstars not failing.

Besides, if there is any contract that killed the 'hawks, it was Seabrook's. Toews may have had down years within his deal but he also had very good years while making 10.5. There is not a single year which Seabrook has looked remotely like a 6.8M player.

The sheer amount of nothingness we got back for leddy is incredible. I don't remind who the other choices would have been if any though.
It helps knowing that we got Leddy for virtually nothing--arguably the worst 3rd overall pick in franchise history. It also helps to know that in 2018, Leddy was the only major defenseman in the league that was worse than Keith.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
SB had his eye on Ville Pokka for some time before that trade..........he needs his eyes checked!

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not about the cash primarily, it's about how a team is built. Pittsburgh has had 18.2M tied up in Crosby and Malkin for a long time and they have been good in recent years. Conversely, Washington has been paying out the ass for Ovechkin and they have what? 1 cup in how many years Ovechkin has been in the league?

Pittsburgh, and the cup-era 'hawks were built with depth in mind. Edmonton, and the current 'hawks are built on the assumption that the superstar(s) can do it all, and they are betting on the superstars not failing.

Besides, if there is any contract that killed the 'hawks, it was Seabrook's. Toews may have had down years within his deal but he also had very good years while making 10.5. There is not a single year which Seabrook has looked remotely like a 6.8M player.

It helps knowing that we got Leddy for virtually nothing--arguably the worst 3rd overall pick in franchise history. It also helps to know that in 2018, Leddy was the only major defenseman in the league that was worse than Keith.
I know the Seabrook deal is the convenient boogie man but how about.....

Not enough cap space because of Brent Seabrook you say then how did SB have over TWENTY MILLION to squander two summers ago.......TWENTY MILLION and it was squandered....

de HAAN........4.6M for three years and we threw in Forsling because he'll never amount to anything.
Maata.....4.0M for three years and then retained money to move him only a year later.
Shaw,who the Habs loved but knew his next concussion could be his last for 3.9M for three years. Did the Habs retain money or sweeten? LOFL......SB took the whole contract and gave them a 2nd and a 3rd......JUST AWFUL!
Zach Smith for 3.5M for two years.....nuff said.
Lehner for 5M wouldn't be a bad signing for a team that just needed a tender but his only value here was the 2nd he returned but we ate 2.5M of his money for that pick. Crawford was the better tender anyway and led his team to a PO series win.....the last series win this team will see for ages.

SB negotiated the worst deal possible with with Seabs,he gave a high mileage 30yro max term,max $$$,max clauses and max bonuses.......I don't think Seabs agent could have drawn it up better if he was alone in the room.
For shits n giggles,let's assume Seabs took 2M less.....does that make a bit of a difference to a GM who spends like a drunken sailor? Will the team return to prominence once this pariah of a deal is off it's books?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leddy, Forsling, Kempny...

All playing quality minutes for contenders.

The Hawks seem really full of themselves in thinking guys have to play their way and looking for a narrow range of player types at certain positions.

I wonder how long they will let this cycle of embarrassment go on for?