Trade deadline might be interesting this year

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Simply put the expectation many likely have is of the cubs selling as a .500 or worse team. There's certainly some pieces where that makes sense. But there's something i've noticed recently and that's the depth the cubs have coming in outfielders. With Suzuki being a long term lock, PCA and Davis seemingly like strong contenders for long term OF pieces and Happ potentially breaking out this year to the point of maybe earning an extension, you quickly run out of room. Luckily the DH helps a bit.

However, that says nothing of Kevin Alcantara, Owen Caissie, Alexander Canario, Yohendrick Pinango, Christian Franklin, Ismael Mena and Nelson Velazquez. Granted some of those guys are far enough away it's not an urgent decision but Velazquez and Canario are getting pretty close.

Long story short, if I'm the cubs I'm likely selling yes but also considering buying in july for likely pitching should the right type of player become available. If they could add a #2 or #3 with decent control heading into 2023 the team is much more interesting having Stroman, Hendricks, that player and likely Caleb Kilian with Marquez and Alzolay likely fighting for the last starter spot. I think you could also make a case for looking at 1b/3b.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
More interesting than last year? Lol

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Simply put the expectation many likely have is of the cubs selling as a .500 or worse team. There's certainly some pieces where that makes sense. But there's something i've noticed recently and that's the depth the cubs have coming in outfielders. With Suzuki being a long term lock, PCA and Davis seemingly like strong contenders for long term OF pieces and Happ potentially breaking out this year to the point of maybe earning an extension, you quickly run out of room. Luckily the DH helps a bit.

However, that says nothing of Kevin Alcantara, Owen Caissie, Alexander Canario, Yohendrick Pinango, Christian Franklin, Ismael Mena and Nelson Velazquez. Granted some of those guys are far enough away it's not an urgent decision but Velazquez and Canario are getting pretty close.

Long story short, if I'm the cubs I'm likely selling yes but also considering buying in july for likely pitching should the right type of player become available. If they could add a #2 or #3 with decent control heading into 2023 the team is much more interesting having Stroman, Hendricks, that player and likely Caleb Kilian with Marquez and Alzolay likely fighting for the last starter spot. I think you could also make a case for looking at 1b/3b.
That’s a good point. If there’s a young starter with upside and control, Cubs have some young hitters that could interest that team. That said, getting in a bidding war over what would be obviously one of the most coveted players(SP with control) isn’t wise for where the Cubs are timeline wise. But yes, if it lines up they should pull the trigger

But they better not trade PCA to acquire that guy, I’m a big fan of PCA

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I see Miley are a yes on traded. Kilian promoted after.

Maybe level is Heyward if he waves his 10/5.
Add to this is Contreras.

Reach level is Happ. He and Wilson have taken over as the team core so a argument could go either way. The youth will need vet presence.

The fastest turn around would be:

1. Extend Wilson and Happ
2. Promote Davis and Kilian.
3. Target Maenea and Josh Bell this off season.

Trade Miley and Heyward mid season.

Rivas 1B
Contreras C
Happ LF
Suzuki RF
Bell DH
Wisdom 3B
Davis CF
Madgral 2B
Hoerner SS

Hendricks
Maenea
Stroman
Smyly for a year to bridge to Hertz
Kilian

Pen has plenty of starter types as this year

CSF77

Liked Posts:

A bit interesting. Pads have pretty much given up and it makes you wonder what it would take to flip this. I would love to see him for Bote strait. That way Jed can fix him and use him later.

Cano to the pads IMO will revitalize him. Smaller market. Can platoon with Voit.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This team needs a solid 1-2 at the top of the rotation, I like Hendricks but he is a number 3 at best

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

A bit interesting. Pads have pretty much given up and it makes you wonder what it would take to flip this. I would love to see him for Bote strait. That way Jed can fix him and use him later.

Cano to the pads IMO will revitalize him. Smaller market. Can platoon with Voit.
Cano is done. He has been done

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This team needs a solid 1-2 at the top of the rotation, I like Hendricks but he is a number 3 at best

Steel pitched his best game as a Cub today. 6 IP 10K. He has shown some flashes. He learns to sustain that more then he becomes a solid rotation piece.

As far as a 1/2. Well Jed could have targeted Rodon. He is ranked #2 in fWAR at 1.7. Could have held onto Cease. He is ranked #6. Paul Blackburn was traded away. Ranked #8. Manaea is ranked #21 and will be a F/A.

So Jed has a sketchy history going into this market. He has passed on or tossed away solid TOR to date. I personally feel that he has a ace in Hertz but he is 2 years out. Kilian looks like a 2 and is polished right now. So this is a waiting game right now. Come 3 years the rotation could be the strongest asset vs the weakest.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
As crazy as it sounds, if I’m the Cubs, I’m at least checking in on the Juan Soto sweepstakes.

Guy is still just 23, so giving him a 10 year contract is actually plausible, so he can be around when the next wave of young guys come up. Obviously, the cost of how many young prospects it takes to get him matters, but still worth checking in on if I’m the Cubs

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It just feels like the Ricketts are on the cheap side of things. I like signing Soto to a long term money deal but if they don't have the pitching in place its a waste.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder what they could they get for Hendricks

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wonder what they could they get for Hendricks
Probably not enough to make a trade very plausible. His salary isn't overly crazy but keeping him as a 3 or 4 starter is likely worth more than what they would get in return. But hey,should someone make a wild offer...go for it.