Trade Down Frenzy

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
There wasn't a QB worthy of the number-one pick last year. If there were the pick would have been traded.
2017 Myles Garrett
2018 Baker Mayfield
2019 Kyler Murray
2020 Joe Burrow
2021 Trevor Lawrence

With the exception of Myles Garrett who was a generational talent, all the other number 1 picks went to quarterback-needy teams and that's why the pick wasn't traded

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I’m fine if they don’t find someone who wants to trade. Draft Will Anderson jr and find a way to sign Daron Payne! That will definitely make it easier on the linebackers and CBs. Then continue with the draft and possibly try for Hopkins in free agency.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I hope it happens but we shouldn’t hold our breath
You don't have to hold your breath but you might want to open your eyes. You suggest a team can get the QB they want at #3. If they want the 3rd best QB, that's true. But there will be plenty of interest in the #1 and #2 QBs.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
You don't have to hold your breath but you might want to open your eyes. You suggest a team can get the QB they want at #3. If they want the 3rd best QB, that's true. But there will be plenty of interest in the #1 and #2 QBs.
If there is no movement at #1, they would be getting the 2nd best QB at #3. Everyone knows the Bears aren’t taking a QB at #1.

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:
Do you believe the demand will be low?

Or the supply high?

If Levis and Richardson wow some teams at the combine that won't be great, but teams still aren't going to evaluate all QBs equally. There are many teams needing QBs. I don't see the demand being low.
For now I think it’s Young and Stroud but I think Levis will close the gap. I honestly can only see 3 teams paying a ransom: Colts, Panthers and Raiders. MAYBE Atlanta. But here’s the problem. Teams know the Bears won’t take a QB. My fear is if the Bears don’t accept anything less than a ransom, the 3 teams may let it play out until the Cards at 3 or the Hawks at 5. We’ll see, it’ll be exciting for sure.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Those are the only two teams looking for a QB?

All it takes is one GM to fall in love with Young and there you go. Teams that want Young aren't just gonna sit there and hope he falls to them.

But not too far. I worry ARI will take him at #3. #1 to #2 probably only gets you an extra 2nd.
With us getting the first pick, Anderson doesn't drop lower than 3rd. We either take him number 1 as he is the best player in the draft, or we trade lower than 3rd and watch him go to Arizona.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The 1st pick hasn’t been traded since 2016. The Jags couldn’t move last season. Don’t be surprised if they stay at #1.

The QB class last year was garbage as evidenced by only 1 QB in first 4 rounds which is unprecedented. And the reality is Pickett was not a first rounder. There will be 3 or 4 QBs taken in first round this year most likely.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With us getting the first pick, Anderson doesn't drop lower than 3rd. We either take him number 1 as he is the best player in the draft, or we trade lower than 3rd and watch him go to Arizona.
You're probably right. I haven't seen enough film on Anderson to say if he's "generational" or not. I've seen Carter taken before him in some mocks, as well as Young, so...who knows? But yes, you're probably right.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
If there is no movement at #1, they would be getting the 2nd best QB at #3. Everyone knows the Bears aren’t taking a QB at #1.
Yeah and the Cards are at 3....think they'll just stay and pick with a bunch of other QB needy teams wanting to jump the Colts and Seahawks?

Last edited:

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately, or fortunately, that's not how most GMs think. It's been proven time and again, that different teams have different grades for a player. And with the importance of the QB position in the NFL. Within reason, teams will be aggressive in getting the guy they have at the top of their board. It should be a firable offense for a GM to get the second or third-best quarterback on their board if all it took was a second and a third-round pick to get the guy at the top. The QB position is that important

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Correct

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You're probably right. I haven't seen enough film on Anderson to say if he's "generational" or not. I've seen Carter taken before him in some mocks, as well as Young, so...who knows? But yes, you're probably right.

I've seen enough to know he's the surest thing in this draft IMO. What that ceiling is I don't know. But former scouts like Daniel Jeremiah have compared him to Von Miller.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen enough to know he's the surest thing in this draft IMO. What that ceiling is I don't know. But former scouts like Daniel Jeremiah have compared him to Von Miller.
I agree with you.

I still think this regime would prefer Carter. I also feel this regime would rather trade down and pick up a ton of assets rather than take any single player.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You think the Bears won't be able to find a trade partner for the #1 pick? Really?
The possibility of that happening is there for sure but the more likely scenario is that they'll find multiple teams looking to trade up into that spot.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The 1st pick hasn’t been traded since 2016. The Jags couldn’t move last season. Don’t be surprised if they stay at #1.
QB class was very wonky last year to.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I agree with you.

I still think this regime would prefer Carter. I also feel this regime would rather trade down and pick up a ton of assets rather than take any single player.
If the choice ends up being between Anderson and Carter then it should come down to what they did in free agency, as long as they have those two rated the same. We get D.Payne or J.Hargrave or one of the other top 3T's then should be easy to go with Anderson. Coming out of the offseason with a top 3T and Anderson as well as whatever else they do sounds pretty damn nice to me.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that's the case, and he IS generational, then I trade with HOU and take him there. We'll get one extra 2nd and that's it. But I have a feeling they won't do that. I think they trade down and let him go to get multiple 1sts/2nds.