Trade up for a QB or wait for a top pick in 2022?

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
As the games go on, it is becoming more clear that there are problems on both sides of the ball. D needs big changes and Pagano needs to go after the season.

Mitch is clearly not the answer, and neither is Foles.

So, do you hope they make moves to get Zach Wilson like the Chiefs did to get Mahomes? Or do you want them to invest in a T and stock up on talent using the picks they’d need to give up to get Wilson? And then roll with either Mitch or Foles, which, while not tanking, puts them in a spot to get a top QB in 2022.

I’m torn. I hate losing picks, but I think Wilson will be a great QB, something I have never been able to say about a Bears QB in my lifetime.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The Bears find impact players in the top hundred picks with a regularity only matched by one or two other franchises. The Mack trade, as great as it was in 2018, has ultimately set this franchise back. This team would love to have a couple hundred million in cap space and two first round picks on the roster, it would really make a difference.

They should take what comes to them this year and probably next year. No trade-ups, no desperation moves.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
I'm usually an optimist looking ahead to the schedule every season, but next year looks like a slaughter, and the 2022 pick should be pretty high, so I'd focus on BPA + Oline this year.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I'm usually an optimist looking ahead to the schedule every season, but next year looks like a slaughter, and the 2022 pick should be pretty high, so I'd focus on BPA + Oline this year.
Got the AFC north + the NFC west in addition to the 6 divisional games, it is a slaughter.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Got the AFC north + the NFC west in addition to the 6 divisional games, it is a slaughter.
So what would reading up help with?
If you are saying we are going to be picking in the top 10 maybe top 5 in 2022 why not use the draft assets we have to fix the many holes we have?
Unless you are going to give the packers or Texans all our picks and a couple players for Rodgers or Watson.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The way the NFL swings its hard to really say the schedule is going to be a slaughter. Particularly the AFC North, none of those teams really strike the fear of god into me next year.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
The way the NFL swings its hard to really say the schedule is going to be a slaughter. Particularly the AFC North, none of those teams really strike the fear of god into me next year.
Well CLE and CIN aren't great teams but they're both tough (especially CLE obviously), though I'd favor the Bears against them. However the Steeler and Ravens, despite the Steelers' proclivity to fold are both teams I'd favor against CHI. However I'd favor the whole west against CHI with the exception of AZ.

So if the Bears split the divisional games I've got 7 wins for them. I could see more though I could also very easily see less. Though your overarching point is correct.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Well CLE and CIN aren't great teams but they're both tough (especially CLE obviously), though I'd favor the Bears against them. However the Steeler and Ravens, despite the Steelers' proclivity to fold are both teams I'd favor against CHI. However I'd favor the whole west against CHI with the exception of AZ.

So if the Bears split the divisional games I've got 7 wins for them. I could see more though I could also very easily see less. Though your overarching point is correct.
Baltimore really isn't that good and that Steelers things is bizarre. They are kinda mediocre yet ran the table through the first ten weeks this year. What happens next year? I dont know. They do have a really good defense when its healthy.

If the 49ers get Matthew Stafford and suffer even half the injuries next year as they did this year they might be the best team in the NFL.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Pace isnt the GM and they can get a good prospect I go for it this year. Too many examples of quick turn arounds in the NFL to sit on your hands for an extra year. Also seems like A decently strong QB draft.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
All teams have holes. But the teams that win consistently have a QB who can elevate all the players around him and can transcend scheme. The Bears will never be truly competitive until they have that guy.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
As the games go on, it is becoming more clear that there are problems on both sides of the ball. D needs big changes and Pagano needs to go after the season.

Mitch is clearly not the answer, and neither is Foles.

So, do you hope they make moves to get Zach Wilson like the Chiefs did to get Mahomes? Or do you want them to invest in a T and stock up on talent using the picks they’d need to give up to get Wilson? And then roll with either Mitch or Foles, which, while not tanking, puts them in a spot to get a top QB in 2022.

I’m torn. I hate losing picks, but I think Wilson will be a great QB, something I have never been able to say about a Bears QB in my lifetime.

the problem on the defensive side of the ball is there is a lot of money tied up there and pagano doesnt know how to utilize them...

as for on offense in how the chiefs got mahomes...they drafted mahomes when the rest of the offensive roster was pretty much set...you had kelce, hill, watkins, hunt and a stacked oline...this is not the case for the bears...the tackles are a joke, robinson likely walks, miller sucks and that leaves mooney and two bench warmers in wims and ridley. As for TE, kmet seems average, graham is gone and holtz shouldnt be anywhere near an active roster.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All teams have holes. But the teams that win consistently have a QB who can elevate all the players around him and can transcend scheme. The Bears will never be truly competitive until they have that guy.
Exactly. Seahawks OLine is trash. But Wilson is that guy.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
the problem on the defensive side of the ball is there is a lot of money tied up there and pagano doesnt know how to utilize them...

as for on offense in how the chiefs got mahomes...they drafted mahomes when the rest of the offensive roster was pretty much set...you had kelce, hill, watkins, hunt and a stacked oline...this is not the case for the bears...the tackles are a joke, robinson likely walks, miller sucks and that leaves mooney and two bench warmers in wims and ridley. As for TE, kmet seems average, graham is gone and holtz shouldnt be anywhere near an active roster.
Valid. But it is far easier to acquire offensive players than it is to acquire a franchise QB. The problem for the Bears is they need someone who can competently identify and acquire that QB. Shed some dead weight on existing contracts and draft offense.

Again, a lot of this is just based on my opinion that Wilson will be a star at the next level.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If it were me, I'd probably put Foles out there and lose and then draft the QB from North Carolina. However, these guys have jobs on the line. They can't afford to suck because they will be fired if they suck. I'm guessing they will try to get a veteran QB like Dak or Wentz to save their ass or trade up for a QB they think can save their ass. No way they just go status quo when their jobs are on the line.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Valid. But it is far easier to acquire offensive players than it is to acquire a franchise QB. The problem for the Bears is they need someone who can competently identify and acquire that QB. Shed some dead weight on existing contracts and draft offense.

Again, a lot of this is just based on my opinion that Wilson will be a star at the next level.

you also assume this is their only chance at a franchise qb...there will undoubtedly be cuts on defense meaning the bears will unlikely do better than 8-8 meaning they will be in better position to have a shot at guys like howell, shough, slovis etc...

Just because a guy like russell wilson survived without a competent oline doesnt mean other franchise qb's can do the same. If you draft wilson and he gets pummeled like sam darnold did, that could very well ruin your qb.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Take a QB you like somewhere near your draft spot in whatever round makes sense to you in terms of player value and need.

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Why reach for a QB with this current roster, it makes no sense. Owners should be thinking like:

- Keep Pace as far away from this draft and any future drafts as possible (fire the fucking idiot)
- Dont trade any draft capital to move up down or sideways, especially for a QB, you havent proven capable of finding one in the past 50 years or more
- Increase your draft capital by moving aging players
- Build a fucking O Line
- Build a fucking O Line
- Build a fucking O Line

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why reach for a QB with this current roster, it makes no sense. Owners should be thinking like:

- Keep Pace as far away from this draft and any future drafts as possible (fire the fucking idiot)
- Dont trade any draft capital to move up down or sideways, especially for a QB, you havent proven capable of finding one in the past 50 years or more
- Build a fucking O Line
- Build a fucking O Line
- Build a fucking O Line
Glad you're not GM

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

- Build a fucking O Line
- Build a fucking O Line
- Build a fucking O Line

Yep. 2021 is a throw away year. I hate to say it but I think you start cutting fat out of the defense and start rebuilding.