Trade

BearTX

Liked Posts:
The Cubs should try to trade Craig Kimbrel and Jason Heyward as a package for a lesser prospect. I say this so they can get rid of the worst contract in team history. Doing this will give the team more money to work with this off season.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The Cubs should try to trade Craig Kimbrel and Jason Heyward as a package for a lesser prospect. I say this so they can get rid of the worst contract in team history. Doing this will give the team more money to work with this off season.
No. This is such a bad idea. Kimbrel can get us a top prospect or 2 potentially whereas if you tie Heyward to him you are getting a middling prospect. Heywards contract has zero impact on future plans. They have like 40 million in payroll commitments next year. Also they aren't spending big next year as it will still be a rebuild year

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No. This is such a bad idea. Kimbrel can get us a top prospect or 2 potentially whereas if you tie Heyward to him you are getting a middling prospect. Heywards contract has zero impact on future plans. They have like 40 million in payroll commitments next year. Also they aren't spending big next year as it will still be a rebuild year
Some guy in another thread brought up the White Sox.....moving both Bryant and Kimbrell there. They are really close right now....Bryant will move Moncada back over to second and Kimbrell will setup a neat double closer package like the Brewers have. That should throw them over the top. In return I'd have Kopech and Crochet in mind amoungst others.

Heyward is what it is....an awful acquisition that the Cubs will be paying for. Don't make a bad deal even worse.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah, next two years payroll shouldn’t be an issue. So heywards contract is no longer an issue at this point. This idea is something they should of done a couple years ago…trade a guy like schwarber with heyward for a lesser prospect. That would of freed up payroll to keep a guy like darvish to keep contending. At this point, it’s all about acquiring as good of prospects as you can for the guys on one year deals plus Kimbrel and really any pitching arm should be available for the right price…even hendricks

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
When do these trades start happening? I'm ready

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
When do these trades start happening? I'm ready
Probably not until after the all star break. The big trades run close to the deadline a lot with teams trying to extract every bit of value they can

BearTX

Liked Posts:
Prospects are all suspect until they aren’t! Kimberly won’t get the haul that will change the team minor league depth. Get rid of Heyward and now the payroll is in the 20 million range. The free agent class will be pretty good and with a possible strike the extra payroll will be worth way more than a fringe prospect. We will see some good guys taking some low ball offer this is the quickest way to build a contender.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Prospects are all suspect until they aren’t! Kimberly won’t get the haul that will change the team minor league depth. Get rid of Heyward and now the payroll is in the 20 million range. The free agent class will be pretty good and with a possible strike the extra payroll will be worth way more than a fringe prospect. We will see some good guys taking some low ball offer this is the quickest way to build a contender.
This is the quickest way to not build for sustained success

CSF77

Liked Posts:
How about do nothing and take the best offer after the ASG.

Heyward is not killing the team. What is killing the team is too much reliance on the home run.

Today they put up 8 runs.
No home runs.
Hottest hitter out with a thumb issue.
Bryant pulled with a tight hammy.

The problem is not Heyward. He is an escape goat.

The solution is quality at bats. A sense of urgency. And quality effort from the starting pitching.

All I have to say is I like Mills. Nothing flashy. But for some reason him, Davies and Kyle make the most of what they have.

BearTX

Liked Posts:
This is the quickest way to not build for sustained success
So trading Yu for garbage was a good trade? I’m not saying not to make trades for prospects but getting from under the Heyward contract is a win! If you could get rid of Heyward and keep KB long term would you do it?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
So trading Yu for garbage was a good trade? I’m not saying not to make trades for prospects but getting from under the Heyward contract is a win! If you could get rid of Heyward and keep KB long term would you do it?
Getting rid of Heyward is meaningless. His contract has zero impact on what they are able to do the next couple years. They could keep Heyward and resign Bryant, but I don't want them to resign Bryant. If they could get rid of Heyward and some of his contract that's great, but im not downgrading the return from other trades for no reason. Cubs aren't getting involved in FA this offseason anyway other than for flip candidates next year. Look at 2023 as potential year to get back to a competitive team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This year Marquez had a high chance of getting into action in the 2nd half. He has a shoulder strain and has not played at any level.

The Cubs are going to need more depth in SP and using Kimbrel and Bryant together to facilitate it makes far more sense then doing a bad deal swap to remove Heyward.

The only way that this team starts to move in the right direction is trading out and bringing in high ceiling pitching.

Davis is at AA and is on a 5 game hitting string. I expect him promoted to Iowa soon. It wouldn't shock me if Jed brings him up in Sept and let's him battle for CF in spring.

So it makes more sense to trade Happ this year vs Heyward. Happ has fallen out of favor. Bryant in CF, Ortega in CF. Marisnick in CF. Happ at 2B and so on.

With Davis wrecking Tenn this is something to prepare for. Heyward impacts Davis 0%. Happ plenty.

So that is the guy to deal out and try to get anything back

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Some guy in another thread brought up the White Sox.....moving both Bryant and Kimbrell there. They are really close right now....Bryant will move Moncada back over to second and Kimbrell will setup a neat double closer package like the Brewers have. That should throw them over the top. In return I'd have Kopech and Crochet in mind amoungst others.

Heyward is what it is....an awful acquisition that the Cubs will be paying for. Don't make a bad deal even worse.

I'm not sure that the Soxs would give up Kopech. Lance Lynn and Carlos Rondon are both going into F/A. Next year. Sox might be wise to QO both and set up Kopech and Crochett to replace them.

Now if both hit the market the Cubs should have the payroll to target both of them.

Lynn
Rondon
Hendricks
Alzolay
Marquez

Then push Davis up to CF out of ST.

Joc LF
Davis CF
Heyward RF
Wisdom 3B
SS work in progress
2B Nico
1B work in progress
C Contreras

1B and SS Rizzo and Baez would be fine at 20 AAV each. They could also target Seager for SS move Wiadom to 1B and offer a deal to Matt Duffy. They also have Bote for IF depth with Alcantara who can play SS/2B.

Honestly they could flip this and compete next year.

Snicker_Dickens

Liked Posts:
Trade Alzolay too. Idk what anyone see's in him. It's pissing me off. People feel he is a future Cy Young contending ace. Let's get some top specs for him out of a contending team. Also, what the heck can we get for Baez? Please get Javy out of here. We don't need Cristian Hernandez following the strikeout king's ways. Bahahah.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
People realize you still have to field a team after trading away the good players right? Why in the world would you care about what Heyward is making if presumably you're not going to contend the next couple of years? Heyward has two years at $22 mil left. That's not even that much money. A MLB starter is going to cost you $7-10 mil anyways. And frankly if you aren't trying to win in 22/23 you'd almost rather Heyward out there because if he's bad you'll draft higher and if he has a season more like 2020 maybe some team gets an injury and will take him on for a PTBNL once the end of his contract is closer.

And all of that to save what maybe $10 mil? $10 mil isn't making this team a contender. Additonally, while Heyward's best days are behind him... he's still a great person for young players coming up because he's a harder worker and a good character guy. You need those type of players to mentor the next wave of players coming up. Obviously, ideally you wouldn't be paying mentors $22 mil a year but this is the very definition of a sunk cost.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure that the Soxs would give up Kopech. Lance Lynn and Carlos Rondon are both going into F/A. Next year. Sox might be wise to QO both and set up Kopech and Crochett to replace them.

Now if both hit the market the Cubs should have the payroll to target both of them.

Lynn
Rondon
Hendricks
Alzolay
Marquez

Then push Davis up to CF out of ST.

Joc LF
Davis CF
Heyward RF
Wisdom 3B
SS work in progress
2B Nico
1B work in progress
C Contreras

1B and SS Rizzo and Baez would be fine at 20 AAV each. They could also target Seager for SS move Wiadom to 1B and offer a deal to Matt Duffy. They also have Bote for IF depth with Alcantara who can play SS/2B.

Honestly they could flip this and compete next year.

Sure, the Sox want to keep Kopech and Crochet...I don't think either one will carry them to a WS this year. Bryant and Kimbrell could. The question is....are they all in for 2021?

Ahhh yes, the Kenny Williams mode of rebuilding....do it all in one off season. Why in hell would a rebuilding team sign a 35 yr old FA pitcher and a 29 yr old injury plagued lefty whose only strong year is this one? Why would they do that? I mean Hoyer came here from San Diego, didn't he? Is that how he does business?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sure, the Sox want to keep Kopech and Crochet...I don't think either one will carry them to a WS this year. Bryant and Kimbrell could. The question is....are they all in for 2021?

Ahhh yes, the Kenny Williams mode of rebuilding....do it all in one off season. Why in hell would a rebuilding team sign a 35 yr old FA pitcher and a 29 yr old injury plagued lefty whose only strong year is this one? Why would they do that? I mean Hoyer came here from San Diego, didn't he? Is that how he does business?

That 35 yo pitcher has a 1.99 ERA IN THE AL

That oft injured lefty is not now.

It goes both ways. You point towards to get a cheaper offer.

But the point was: the Cubs are not as far away as people think.

They dump Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Jake, Happ and Willams.

Peeps then think break it apart and start from scratch..
Wtf would a 500M revenue team do this?

Fucking stupid logic.

Didn't work. Fine reload and attack in 2022.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Let's face it the problem is not payroll. The problem was building a team that was built to be dependant on a HR.

That was the issue.